Souvenirs from 'the good old days'

Brass ? Is it a genuine BR key or one that someone has turned up and can be withdrawn with the reverser in EO ? Naughty boy.

Pete

Would that be a suicide key?

If caught with one in your pocket it was 'suicide' for your driving career.

In the long-running thread 'The human side of the railway' a picture of mine showing some 'spotters nameplate rubbing a 'Deltic' at York resulted in several posters wondering whatever happened to the results of this sort of endeavour. Are any rubbings still proudly on display on a bedroom wall or tucked away in a drawer somewhere? Let's find out.

Which items, perhaps of no monetary value, but great sentimental attachment from earlier days are still out there? I don't mean photographs, notebooks, underlined ABCs and the like or loco 'plates, station signs etc.

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of mine.

attachicon.gif(962b) M M RailTour.jpg

The souvenir booklet from an LCGB tour over the Somerset & Dorset line from 1966, autographed by the crew of the loco on the last leg from Templecombe to Waterloo - MN Pacific No 35011 General Steam Navigation. I later read that the fireman on the loco involved in the Lewisham disaster of 1957, in which 34066 Spitfire ​passed signals at danger in the fog and crashed into an emu, bringing down a railway overbridge onto the wreckage, had the same surname Hoare. I've often wondered if he became the driver who was in charge of our train that day.

attachicon.gif(IMG_0864a) A4 paint.jpg

Slivers of A4 paint from 60009, 60019 and 60034 at Ferryhill shed, Aberdeen, in 1966. One thing is obvious - the green paint (even on the originals) is much darker than on any model A4. I'm sure we've had this discussion regarding 'scale' in colours - let's not go there again!

Anyone else like to share their thoughts or pictures on this theme? - especially from nameplate-rubbers, hopefully.

Trevor

I was on the Mendip Merchantman Tour. Here is a photo of 35011 I took on the day.

post-19218-0-95801500-1509458752_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Not really a souvenir, but I have about two thirds of a large bar of LNER soap (about the size of a house brick) from an engine shed in the Rotherham/Sheffield area. This was given to me by my great uncle who worked for the railways until he retired in 1955. However, I have no idea of where he worked, although he probably did tell me; but as a young child it didn't sink in. 

The whole procedure was very secretive, and my uncle told me later that the soap had been "acquired" just after nationalisation, as employees wanted to keep something from their beloved LNER and that was the only thing he dare take. In fact he feared dismissal if his light fingered activity became common knowledge. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I've never heard it called that before. I never had one nor wanted one.

Pete

Kind of pointless too, most locos could be unlocked with the wrong end of a teaspoon

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I once got to York on a Saturday afternoon and found I had lost my key. My train was in holgate sidings ,a 47 on a tank train

I went to York yard south cabin but there was no one there but there was a teaspoon...

I unlocked the desk with it but had to relock it at port Clarence as ifvyou have an unlocked desk own a 47 or 31 it vents regulating air and you lose power

• Like 2

From the Mk 1 coaching stock, the type of wood for the interior fittings and that engraved plate would be found above the vestibule door?

They are indeed from Mk 1 coaches, they were as you say above vestibule doors on 'open' stock, and sometimes along the sides at the same height as the window bar. In compartment stock they were generally above the window but below the communication cord recess.

And can I find any pics on tinterweb?

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Only an InterCity teaspoon, or similar, with the square end. Also doubled as a carriage key as required.

Or a large flat bladed screwdriver.

And the fire extinguisher doubled up as a DSD defeat until 'Vigilence' was added to curb that practice.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or a large flat bladed screwdriver.

And the fire extinguisher doubled up as a DSD defeat until 'Vigilence' was added to curb that practice.

Dave

Wooden chair keys were quite good for that on 08s :)

Andi

I once got to York on a Saturday afternoon and found I had lost my key. My train was in holgate sidings ,a 47 on a tank train

I went to York yard south cabin but there was no one there but there was a teaspoon...

I unlocked the desk with it but had to relock it at port Clarence as ifvyou have an unlocked desk own a 47 or 31 it vents regulating air and you lose power

Tut tut Russ.

You should know better . You don't lose power but have a reduction in power. 9/10 could do better. :no:

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tut tut Russ.

You should know better . You don't lose power but have a reduction in power. 9/10 could do better. :no:

Pete

That's what I actually meant Pete, was a long day yesterday

Stationmaster

The mention of work study makes me remember something that made it hard for me to stifle laughter.

if I read things rightly, I was probably about a decade behind you in working for BR, and when I joined, the purpose of "work study" had altered from its original, stern, intent.

By the time I was attached to WS, public-sector pay restraint was in full force, and was causing an unholy combination of disruptive annoyance (petty strikes on petty pretexts), utter demotivation, and very skilled engineering staff leaving, to go to other employers.

On the first day, the old-hand in charge gave me a really good intro to the topic, beginning: "It's important that you start with a clear understanding: we are no longer here to find ways of making things more efficient. Our job now is to find very carefully measured ways of paying people more money, for doing exactly the same work, while showing an improvement in productivity on paper."

Thus was public-sector pay restraint circumvented!

Kevin (usually Nearholmer, but somehow logged-in under a defunct alias)

Edited by Old-sparky
  • Like 2

@ The Border Reiver

That's great - it's a small world!

I'm not on your picture - are you on mine? Can you please confirm the location is Stalbridge.

attachicon.gif(673b) 35011 Stalbridge 1-1-66 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

Cheers

Trevor

Nay, I'm  not on your picture. Cant remember where I took the photo, possibly Stalbridge. It was New Years Day and we had consumed a fair bit of ale the night before :D

I was on the final steam-hauled Preston to Blackpool South train with 45212 on 3rd August 1968. On arrival in Blackpool the crew were giving away pieces of coal from the tender as souvenirs. Does anyone still have a piece from this, or any similar, occasion? (And how would you prove the provenance of a bit of coal?!)

Something more tangible from that last frantic week of the end of 'normal' steam working is this shed permit for the last three sheds (Carnforth, Rose Grove and Lostock Hall). 

I had been staying during the final week at the Youth Hostel at Arnside (handily near Carnforth.) During a break in activity at Preston I went to what was then, I suppose, the BR Divisional HQ to see if I could get permission to visit the sheds (having already unofficially 'done' Carnforth!) As a mere schoolboy I was half expecting to be thrown out of the building, but my luck was in and I came away with this!

post-24907-0-77816700-1509618676_thumb.jpg

Trevor

• Like 7

Kind of pointless too, most locos could be unlocked with the wrong end of a teaspoon

Andi

I've heard drivers talk about 60s being spooned out, ie not needing a key. I never realised it actually referring to a spoon!

Jo