Warrington Arpley.

Peak Forest.

Wigan Springs Branch (if you like Windhoff Mpvs)  :O

Bescot

Toton

Knottingley

ADJ (Newport)

There are more..

Whether they are worth a visit is purely down to time and day. Unfortunately, I can't help you much with that.

Edited by Jamesb
  • Like 1

Tees Yard

Doncaster Carr yard

Tyne Yard

Crewe Electric

Hither Green?

Acton Yard

Wembley Yard

Millerhill ?

Most locations now see very few locos stabled as they are expected to be out earning as much as possible. Picking a location on a main freight route should help with passing traffic (eg Warrington or Peterborough).

• Like 1

Eastleigh Depot is still in use with DB. Up until recently, a rake or two of charter stock were kept there but are now looked after by Arlingtons next door.

Cross Country stable their Voyagers there overnight, while I believe the Class 180 units of Grand Central have gone in recently as part of their upgrade.

There's plenty of redundant stock littering the place as well.

Andy.

• Like 1

Eastleigh Depot is still in use with DB. Up until recently, a rake or two of charter stock were kept there but are now looked after by Arlingtons next door.

Cross Country stable their Voyagers there overnight, while I believe the Class 180 units of Grand Central have gone in recently as part of their upgrade.

There's plenty of redundant stock littering the place as well.

Andy.

Indeed Andy Eastleigh is a good spot all round and it quite handy for me as I’m not too far away

...There's plenty of redundant stock littering the place as well.

From my observations, I don't think there's much in the way of redundant stock left at the depot these days.

Certainly not like it was 5 or 10 years ago. There appears to have been a big clear out.

Lots of WIA car carrying rakes are stored there, when not being used.

Same at the works next door, almost all of the old wrecks parked at the rear have long gone.

Dolland's Moor seems to have a few locos hanging around most days; freights tend to run overnight in most cases. These tend to be mainly Class 92 and 66, but there are often test trains present (it's one of the few places they can be run round and stabled). This week has seen one of the Pullman-liveried Class 67 and, yesterday, 37025, looking very smart in large-logo blue.

Though there is a shed next to the entrance to Saltwood Tunnel, most locos are stabled at the tunnel end of the yard, and so are easily viewed from the over-bridge and approaches.

From my observations, I don't think there's much in the way of redundant stock left at the depot these days.

Certainly not like it was 5 or 10 years ago. There appears to have been a big clear out.

Lots of WIA car carrying rakes are stored there, when not being used.

Same at the works next door, almost all of the old wrecks parked at the rear have long gone.

Thanks for the correction Ron, not paid much attention to the amount of stock in there in recent years.

I also stand corrected on Eastleigh being a DB Depot. Reading the latest Rail Express magazine, it mentions that it's run by Arriva Traincare. Would explain why Grand Central Class 180's have gone in there, as GC is owned by Arriva. The article did mention loco stabling, certianly DB's Class 66's go in and out reguarly as do the odd Class 67 when they're in this area.

But then Arriva are owned by DB... so is it still a DB depot?

Andy.