Negative Waves....

chris-shay

• RMweb Premium

Really interested in the Cakebox Challenge, so before someone reads my mind, I thought I'd better laydown my idea...

Taking inspiration from a great movie, I am planning on doing the tunnel attack scene from Kelly's Heroes.

I reckon I should be able to squeeze a fair representation of it into the 8" x 8" footprint, and working in 1/87 helps gain a little bit more wiggle room too.

Nothing tangible yet, apart from a shopping list  and some research to be done!

Edited by chris-shay
  • Like 9

When I saw the title of this the first thing I thought of was Oddball and Kelly's Heroes. I didn't think it would actually be about that though.

I've always wondered where they filmed that scene and what the strange (electric or battery?) locos were.

• Like 3

It's very clearly filmed around a mine of some sort, and it's possible that the tunnel from which the tank emerges is a slope-shaft.

The two little locos look like 4w ohwe, one having a pantograph, the other, I think, a trolley pole. Just the sort of thing to be used in and around a mine.

If I was to make a stab, I'd go for an Austrian salt mine, but it's a wild stab, in the dark of a mine.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Apparently at Vrdnik, Serbia, https://www.movieloci.com/location?id=301014-------------------------Vrdnik--Serbia, where the local lignite mine had recently closed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrdnik. Photos here http://www.zeljeznice.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13317-does-anyone-can-recognize-the-station/.

The site was destroyed during the Yugoslav war, so modern satellite imagery doesn't show it.

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting finds there and a very modelable little scene in its own right...in grave danger of wandering off at a tangent !

There has been a little bit of progress, as I’ve gone for one of the diorama boards from Scale Model Scenery. It’s a great little kit and was built up very easily too. The only thing to be wary off is making sure you get the side pieces on the the right way round as they have a slightly longer pitch at one end in the joint tabs.

Now I’m just waiting for the tanks to arrive in the post and then I can get on with laying things out.

post-7069-0-17019700-1510162359_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chris-shay
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Postman arrived yesterday and dropped off a couple of things, so in the words of Lieutenant Gruber..” I havf my little tank(s)”

They are beautifully crisp castings and look pretty straightforward to assemble.post-7069-0-16860400-1510691141_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So there has been a little bit of progress over the holidays with everything laid out. Managed to get the tunnel and the building more or less finished. The tanks have been basically assembled but need to have details added...

post-7069-0-10301800-1515019710_thumb.jpeg

post-7069-0-56529600-1515019769_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Much progress has been made since my last posting so I think the diorama is pretty much complete.

For those interested, here’s a brief run down of what I used....

As mentioned before the Shermans and the German infantry figures are from the Dutch company Alsacast. The tank barrels have been replaced with plastic rod to replicate Oddball’s mods and the loudspeaker is made from a ship’s bell! Various little details have been added- rolled tarpaulins from painted tissue paper and some beautiful 3D printed jerry cans from Shapeways.

The little shed is built up from plasticard with the roof covered with Rusty Stumps shingles that have been painted to represent terracotta tiles - very please with how it turned out! Logs and lamp pole are bamboo skewers stained with ink & alcohol mix. The lamp itself is the stalk from a Remembrance poppy.

I’m not sure who made the tunnel portal but I picked it up at Warley for a quid and it has been chopped about a bit to fit. The side wall is Slaters plastic card stonework.

Ground cover & rock face is sculptamould wihich has been overpainted and sifted dirt added. The track is heavily bedded in to the almost non-extistant ballast. Greenery is the usual Woodland Scenics foam & grasses with stuff out of the garden too.post-7069-0-69608400-1521995989_thumb.jpegpost-7069-0-55283800-1521996057_thumb.jpegpost-7069-0-54148900-1521996154_thumb.jpegpost-7069-0-35168100-1521996483_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Guest ShildonShunter

Chris a super job on your cakebox challenge great modelling skills and a keen eye, the Sherman's are my favourite tanks and you have captured the tiniest details such as TARPS blankets and spares. A great thread thanks for sharing.;)

• 3 weeks later...