Exclusive Duchess of Hamilton LMS Coronation No.46229

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Premium

Nice choice of livery but not quite perfectly executed on the display model, I think. The positions of the numbers and tender lettering don't look right to me as the prototype photos show they should be on the same horizontal centreline, but they clearly aren't. Also is the lining on the LH cabside a bit skew wiff? Niggles, but on a model of this general standard they should be right.

Nice choice of livery but not quite perfectly executed on the display model, I think. The positions of the numbers and tender lettering don't look right to me as the prototype photos show they should be on the same horizontal centreline, but they clearly aren't. Also is the lining on the LH cabside a bit skew wiff? Niggles, but on a model of this general standard they should be right.

Tender lettering is certainly too low and slightly off centre, I'll be changing the identity of mine so that won't be an issue for me personally.

I have to say the new tooling finally gives the Duchess that beefier front end the old tooling lacked, just needs a set of comet deflectors and gibson wheels now.

Edit

And a Comet Bogie. The new Hornby one is very good, but the Comet one still takes the cake.

Edited by Brocp

Guest Midland Mole

It is possible the one in the pictures is a decorated sample and the final ones will have the letters/numbers in the right place.

If not, I really don't care. I still think the model looks fantastic and is well worth buying. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Guest Midland Mole

My sympathy. You are going to get very fed up with nothing to eat but bread and butter for a while.

Who needs to eat when there are model trains to be had. ;)

Alex

• Like 2

Now I've noticed a pattern here... Rails seem to be commissioning models of National Collection locos in alternate liveries... while at the same time Locomotion commission the same locos in other liveries... 

Does this mean we are about to get 46229 from Locomotion as well I wonder....

Bruce

Currently she is Streamlined format at the NRM and Hornby have done her twice in this format, the last time a year or so ago. Unless Hornby tooled up a new Streamlined version as well, unlikely that she will repeated so soon as she is.

She was in the non streamlined form at the NRM for a good couple of decades, that could happen but I expect Locomotion to announce soon, but it probably won,t be as popular as the Rails version.

• RMweb Gold

Currently she is Streamlined format at the NRM and Hornby have done her twice in this format, the last time a year or so ago. Unless Hornby tooled up a new Streamlined version as well, unlikely that she will repeated so soon as she is.

She was in the non streamlined form at the NRM for a good couple of decades, that could happen but I expect Locomotion to announce soon, but it probably won,t be as popular as the Rails version.

Well,it'll be different and when/if it arrives,expect it to be a stunner.....Wonders....is there going to be a run on the bank ? :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

Given the quality of finish Hornby attained on 46256 and the way it has sold out in basically a week plus the affection many of us had for 46229 before they went and ruined it with that upside down bathtub 'streamlining' I think a BR maroon 46229 will sell like hotcakes. 

Guest Midland Mole

According to Wikipedia, Bradford was repainted into LMS Lined Black in February 1948, two months before the trials.

So yes, it looks like this model would be suitable with BRITISH RAILWAYS applied to the tender.

Alex

Edit: Bradford at Paddington during the trials.

Paddington_3_railway_station_geograph-21

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

According to the ever "reliable" Wikipedia, Bradford was repainted into LMS Lined Black in February 1948, two months before the trials.

So theoretically, yes this would be suitable with BRITISH RAILWAYS applied to the tender, but I'm no expert. :)

Alex

Wikipedia is only as accurate as the information provided. The LMS Duchess pages are correct and among the best constructed of all the railway pages.

You can usually tell a "good" page by the amount of sources and citations used.

Jason

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Wikipedia is only as accurate as the information provided. The LMS Duchess pages are correct and among the best constructed of all the railway pages.

You can usually tell a "good" page by the amount of sources and citations used.

Jason

I'm glad about that as I have used those pages quite often for reference. :)

Alex

Currently she is Streamlined format at the NRM and Hornby have done her twice in this format, the last time a year or so ago.

Four times, as far as I can discover, primarily by looking on eBay:

R.2179 in 2000 & 2001

R.2689 in 2008 - this was the first "NRM Special Edition" version

R.3101 in 2012 - again sold as an NRM Special Edition

R.3339 in 2016

As far as I know all the above used the same body tooling.  I believe that R.2179 had the pivoting pony truck; the fixed truck came in with R.2689.  (I know that R.2689 has the fixed pony truck, because I currently have one.  I'm guessing about R.2179, but it's an educated guess because I currently also have Duchess of Devonshire from the Royal Highlander train pack - it was a cheap way to get 3 x LMS coaches - which I believe shortly pre-dated the release of R.2689, and that loco's got the pivoting pony truck.  FWIW I prefer the pivoting truck, even though it pretty much rules out having any detail under the cab.  On tight curves I think it looks slightly less daft to have the pony truck wheels at least running on the rails, albeit hanging out away from the cab, compared to a cab that's floating in space anyway but with no visible means of support.  But that's just me.  Other people are of course entitled to their own tastes in the matter, especially if they have space to accommodate larger curves on their layouts.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

According to Wikipedia, Bradford was repainted into LMS Lined Black in February 1948, two months before the trials.

So yes, it looks like this model would be suitable with BRITISH RAILWAYS applied to the tender.

Alex

My thoughts exactly. A Stanier Pacific for modellers of the Eastern, Western and Southern regions... yippee!

• RMweb Gold

My thoughts exactly. A Stanier Pacific for modellers of the Eastern, Western and Southern regions... yippee!

Are we talking perhaps of the 1948 Exchanges ? If so reconsider the Southern bit.......and the tender ? The other two regions ...the Eastern at Carlisle and the Western at Shrewsbury would stand together as an everyday occurrence and it was a common sight to see them hauling GW stock on West to North trains into Shrewsbury

Guest Midland Mole

Are we talking perhaps of the 1948 Exchanges ? If so reconsider the Southern bit.......and the tender ? The other two regions ...the Eastern at Carlisle and the Western at Shrewsbury would stand together as an everyday occurrence and it was a common sight to see them hauling GW stock on West to North trains into Shrewsbury

Oh, so did it only run on the Southern with the Austerity tender during the trials? The photos I found of it in this condition were the one at Paddington and one on the Eastern with teaks, so that would make sense.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Remember the Hornby series on loco exchanges. Frankenstein locos with wrong tender to loco pairings (but correct for the exchanges) massively discounted took for ever to sell. I doubt you’ll be seeing anything from loco exchanges any time soon

Given the quality of finish Hornby attained on 46256 and the way it has sold out in basically a week plus the affection many of us had for 46229 before they went and ruined it with that upside down bathtub 'streamlining' I think a BR maroon 46229 will sell like hotcakes. 

Considering it is in a museum, I think its original form is appropriate.

6233 will be a nice example of a non-streamliner once it gets its repaint & it often runs on the main line.