Kings Cross York Road & Suburban Platforms

Pete 75C

Does anyone know the gradient from Kings Cross York Road station platform down into the north portal of York Road tunnel? The picture (link below) is probably the best illustration of the gradient I've seen. In the picture, the gradient would appear to begin between the 1st and 2nd coaches, so as the platform went right up to the tunnel portal, a percentage of the platform must have been on the incline.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kings_cross_york_road/york(10.1975)road_old10.jpg

Aside from disused-stations.org and the ubiquitous "Google Images" search, if anyone knows the url of any decent images, I'd be very grateful for a link.

Edited to include suburban platforms.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3

I was sent this image, supposedly from one of those "urban exploration sites". I don't have the link, but I'm not convinced this is correct. The image is supposed to have been taken at the foot of the descent from York Road station but the gradient is not as steep as I was expecting. It shows 1 in 200 in one direction but having enlarged the image (and just made it more pixelated), the gradient in the other direction isn't any steeper. 1 in 200 doesn't strike me as particularly steep, as every reference I've seen on the web quotes "the line descends steeply and curves sharply away from York Road station into the northern portal of York Road tunnel". Hmm. Not  sure about this.

post-17811-0-02312200-1509555050_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was sent this image, supposedly from one of those "urban exploration sites". I don't have the link, but I'm not convinced this is correct. The image is supposed to have been taken at the foot of the descent from York Road station but the gradient is not as steep as I was expecting. It shows 1 in 200 in one direction but having enlarged the image (and just made it more pixelated), the gradient in the other direction isn't any steeper. 1 in 200 doesn't strike me as particularly steep, as every reference I've seen on the web quotes "the line descends steeply and curves sharply away from York Road station into the northern portal of York Road tunnel". Hmm. Not  sure about this.

attachicon.gif14.jpg

This photo does not look to me as though it is at York Rd at all. More likely Kings Cross (Met).

This photo does not look to me as though it is at York Rd at all. More likely Kings Cross (Met).

I'm inclined (pardon the pun) to agree. The tunnel from York road station is very much "limited clearance". There would appear to be plenty of room at the photo's location.

As the gradient begins partway along York Road station platform, I'd expect a gradient board there, but photos of the station are sadly few and far between.

• RMweb Gold

I'm inclined (pardon the pun) to agree. The tunnel from York road station is very much "limited clearance". There would appear to be plenty of room at the photo's location.

As the gradient begins partway along York Road station platform, I'd expect a gradient board there, but photos of the station are sadly few and far between.

Well comparing the two pictures and what looks like the main line Kings Cross train shed, in the top right corner, it does look like the picture was taken at York Road to me.

Well comparing the two pictures and what looks like the main line Kings Cross train shed, in the top right corner, it does look like the picture was taken at York Road to me.

It wasn't the photos in the OP that I was questioning - that is undoubtedly York Road, it's the photo in Post #2 showing the gradient board inside what is supposed to be York Road tunnel.

1:46 down the York Road curve according to this thread.

http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/10524?page=4

Is the spur there to allow a train to be signalled into the platform if the onward route is not clear?

Of course that might have been taken with a long lens, or from an angle which would make the spur seem really short.

• RMweb Gold

This is a little off topic but a few days go I found this photo.

post-4738-0-19981400-1509564875_thumb.jpg

Not long after the line decended under York Road to join the widened lines there was a spur that linked York Rd with the Westbound, this is the abandoned spur tunnel on the right with the Moorgate line on the left.

• Like 9

Excellent photo Chris P.

That link was discussed at length in another thread, and I found an engraving of the point where the n-w curve crossed the hotel curve, on the flat, under construction, but could t find any modern pictures.

I think this is the thread referred to.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107070-lt-kings-cross-mystery-tunnel/

What an interesting station / area kings Cross was / is.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

This is a little off topic but a few days go I found this photo.

attachicon.gifYork Rd & abandoned West Curve.jpg

Not long after the line decended under York Road to join the widened lines there was a spur that linked York Rd with the Westbound, this is the abandoned spur tunnel on the right with the Moorgate line on the left.

That is fascinating! I have never seen any mention of it before.

But it justifies those who have modelled Kings Cross with a return loop.

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't the photos in the OP that I was questioning - that is undoubtedly York Road, it's the photo in Post #2 showing the gradient board inside what is supposed to be York Road tunnel.

Re-reading your previous post, I see that you mention the gradient "post" being at the bottom of the incline. That is consistent with it being at Kings Cross (Met). The steep gradient down 1:46 was needed to get the line below York Rd and the block of buildings at the corner of Pentonville Rd (Bravington's Jewellers/Kings Cross Models). So I suspect that there would have been another gradient post midway through the tunnel changing from 1/200 to 1/46.

I spent last night trawling through posts and threads on RMWeb relating to Kings Cross (more the suburban ops than mainline), and also some of the excellent "urban exploration" sites and blogs elsewhere on the 'net. I feel rather more confused than when I started. I certainly agree with other posters that it's a fascinating area and subject. I feel there's also a fair dose of urban myth alongside fact. I can't work it out.

Pete

The only real way to get your head round it is to draw diagrams, ideally 3D, showing the configurations at various dates. I used to have access to the LU station fire plans, which are good axionometrics, and scheme drawings, and occasional access to the archives, a good pal being in charge of them, all of which made it easier. At various times I had a hand in HV power supply changes, station upgrades, and a large ventilation upgrade there.

The real issue is that the configuration has changed so many times, the changes often coming 'thick and fast' over short periods, such as 1862-70, during which that W-N curve was built, then largely scrubbed-out as the Widened Lines were built.

I have to confess, though, that now the tube station has three ticket halls and all the additional interchange passageways, even I get lost in the complex, if I don't slavishly follow the signs!

Someone should produce a book about the whole complex, above and below, bringing together all the fascinating old plans, engravings and photos that exist; there are some beautifully atmospheric photos around, showing the wonderful combination of grot and grandeur.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

Sometimes an 08 would be stabled there, I have seen a couple of photos with one there.

Clive - when a wagon was parked there for rubbish removal, do you know what it would have been in BR days? Open wagon/box van? I have the image of an open OBA or STV piled with black bin liners in my head, but alas quite often what's in my head bears no relation to reality!