Kings Cross York Road & Suburban Platforms

Pete 75C

If you rotate the box about 30ish degrees south east, that's an interesting possibility.

I get that, and it does indeed open up possibilities. For me, platforms 14, 15 & 16 are a must, and I'd be worried the width would then get a bit excessive. It might work, as shown below.

Just out of interest... does anyone know if Platform 17 was used for passenger trains? On the map, it's depicted as a passenger platform, but I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it.

post-17811-0-29125000-1512482686.jpg

See post No 70.

Looking seriously at the Passenger loco.

I hadn't forgotten that. As it involves a turntable and therefore steam engines, I would have to personally decline on the grounds that I know less than nothing about things like that...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Over the years I have gained quite a collection of photos of Kings Cross for what was going to be my retirement project. I think I have one with a photo of a DMU at platform 17, a few with a suburban loco stabled there (a N2 0r Brush 2) , most show parcels stock. I think It was mainly used for assembly of the various parcels vans, once loaded in Milk Yard, that would be added to the overnight passenger trains.

• RMweb Gold

I was away yesterday, so apologies for not replying sooner.

Using the map that Gordon linked to back in Post #130, I cropped and rotated it. I had a baseboard size of about 6ft x 18" in mind, so I wasn't far out! Yes, I certainly think it could be done, just taking a few liberties with platform length etc...

attachicon.gifcutout.jpg

I had a few mins earlier today playing about in the spare room, this is what I had come up with. The 31 and suburbans are sitting in hotel curve platform 16, to left of that are the tracks of platforms 14 and 15.  The track leading off the board edge to the right of the 31 is the start of platform 17, but still long enough to hold a loco. 

If you veiw this from platform 17, the supporting wall of the suburban trainshed forms the back scene. the scenic break at the far end is obviously hotel curve tunnel itself and the covered walkway, and if we extend the culross buildings (walthers parkveiw terrace?) out to where the points are stacked closest the camera, we have a veiw blocker for trains entering or exiting the layout.

That board is 2ft x 6ft but it is only using 14" of width for this setup, if you go wider platforms 11, 12, and 13 are then a possibility. points in the pic are all peco large radius. It's quite tempting to make that into a layout myself..... :scratchhead:

20171201_003934_zpsfuhiwnaa.jpg

Edited by simon b
  • Like 7

The only pic I can find of platform 17.

attachicon.gif17 kx.jpg

Thanks for the pic of Platform 17. I spent ages looking through aerial photos of KX but could find nothing taken at the correct angle/date to show the platform.

Does anyone have, or know of a link to, pictures showing the concourse/buffer stop ends of Platforms 14/15? I'm trying to work out if the canopy extends right up to the end building? I don't think it does... it would appear to stop short. Also, by cropping the only detailed image I've seen, there is a mysterious staircase, and I'm wondering where that went to... In the absence of a time machine, speculation is all I have. If I were ever to model this long-gone little corner of KX, it would be with a giant dollop of modeller's license, but it would be really nice to get some of the details right!

post-17811-0-95073700-1512550016.jpg

post-17811-0-82753400-1512550025.jpg

With apologies to the copyright holders of these images, but in my defence, I have cropped then reduced the full size images. If anyone objects, I'll be happy to remove them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pic of Platform 17. I spent ages looking through aerial photos of KX but could find nothing taken at the correct angle/date to show the platform.

Does anyone have, or know of a link to, pictures showing the concourse/buffer stop ends of Platforms 14/15? I'm trying to work out if the canopy extends right up to the end building? I don't think it does... it would appear to stop short. Also, by cropping the only detailed image I've seen, there is a mysterious staircase, and I'm wondering where that went to... In the absence of a time machine, speculation is all I have. If I were ever to model this long-gone little corner of KX, it would be with a giant dollop of modeller's license, but it would be really nice to get some of the details right!

On page 55 of the Irwell Press Kings Cross book there is a photo taken from the concourse end of 14/15. It seems to show the end of the canopy. I'm pretty sure the canopy finished before the staircase and end wall. Might the staircase have gone to street level? The book is well worth picking up by anyone interested in The Cross.

My KX project is on hold having moved house and relocated to Wales this week but this topic is of great interest as when the dust is settled I should be able to expand the project a little. I haven't been able to contribute much but grateful thanks to all the posters. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On page 55 of the Irwell Press Kings Cross book there is a photo taken from the concourse end of 14/15. It seems to show the end of the canopy. I'm pretty sure the canopy finished before the staircase and end wall. Might the staircase have gone to street level? The book is well worth picking up by anyone interested in The Cross.

My KX project is on hold having moved house and relocated to Wales this week but this topic is of great interest as when the dust is settled I should be able to expand the project a little. I haven't been able to contribute much but grateful thanks to all the posters.

Thanks for the mention of the book, I'll try to find a copy of that. I might have a pic of the area behind the buffers looking outwards, the platform canopy itself joined into the glazed roof over this area at right angles. Not 100% Sure but that staircase might lead up to the walkway above the end of platforms 11-13. I'll dig out some more pics from the laptop tonight.
  • Like 1

Yesterday the postman gave me an early Xmas present - London Railway Atlas (Joe Brown) - I had heard it was quite good so I decided to order it whilst I was also ordering the latest issue of Trackatlas.

Needless to say both are excellent publications but the London one, especially, is a revelation and quite possibly the finest atlas of its kind I've yet seen produced.

Whereupon I discovered another curve at Kings Cross the Maiden Lane curve (1863 - 1868) and marked as possibly never used.

This one was certainly news to me it left the York Road curve to turn westwards crossing the Hotel Curve on the level to form a west facing junction with the Widened Lines.

In theory, allowing a train to take the York Road curve then presumably head west over the Metropolitan LIne or back in the country direction towards Kentish Town

• RMweb Premium

The Maiden Lane curve is mentioned in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107070-lt-kings-cross-mystery-tunnel/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2164460

Flickr link in that post showing the lines in the area:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/5995176612/sizes/l/

In the thread, the curve was initially mentioned as an unknown North-West curve from York Rd, before more details came out.

attachicon.gifHC_01.jpg

attachicon.gifHC_02.jpg

With apologies to the copyright holders of these images, but in my defence, I have cropped then reduced the full size images. If anyone objects, I'll be happy to remove them.

I remember that there used to be offices above the ends of the suburban platforms accessed by a high level passageway across the end of platform 9&10. although my memory is a bit hazy, I remember going there to pick up my uniform from the stores there. It is possible that the staircase led up to that passageway as it would be quick route for staff to access those suburban platforms. There were a lot of little rooms and passageways around that area.

I also found a photo showing platform 17 on Flickr. It is not brilliant, but it is the only one I've come across showing the platform face side. See link. https://flic.kr/p/VBqzoT

I also came across a video of the widened lines with a shot of a train coming out of Hotel Curve, looking at Platforms 14&15. It also gives a good idea of the gradient out of the tunnel. Watch from 1min:50s. 

Paul J.

Edited to add the link to the U-tube clip that I forgot to put in the original post. DOHHH

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 4

A few more of my previously unpublished photos taken in the pre-digital age. I just wish I had had the nerve to explore further:

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-3.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-7.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-11.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-40.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-51.jpg

The small building to the right of the buffer stop and the left of the staircase in the last photo was a toilet that was still lit by gas when i was there in 1979-84. There where also toilets up at Kings Cross goods that the WC's just hung over a trough with running water, and the doors to the cubicles only just came above waist height. You could be seen in all your glory when attending to business. There were some odd hideaways at "The Cross" that hadn't changed, possibly since being built.

Paul J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few more of my previously unpublished photos taken in the pre-digital age. I just wish I had had the nerve to explore further:

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-3.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-7.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-11.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-40.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-51.jpg

Hi Mike

Cheers for sharing them. They fill in some gaps I have with my own piccies from earlier in the thread.

• RMweb Premium

thanks from me too, to everyone who has posted pics in the thread. I'm no expert on the area but have always found these fringes of the station and the Widened Lines fascinating. This extends to other stations, especially those hemmed in in cramped urban locations where so much went on in a relatively small space.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating stuff there Mike, all very modelable. Just look at the cars too! Is that a Renault 6? I had a girlfriend with one of those, she’d hurl it around everywhere with her handbag swinging from the gearstick poking out of dashboard.

• RMweb Gold

Those pics are amazing Mike. The whole place just oozes a wonderfully dark, dirty, atmosphere. 16 and 17 really were a relic from another time. 

Edited by simon b
  • Like 2

Could be a great TT layout in the same space, the one thing I have lots of are Brush type 2s and shortie Mk1 suburbans thanks to triang. Always wanted to use the suburbans in blue.

G'Day Folks

Platform No 17, is where I spent many a day (and night) sitting there on No 1 shunt, It was used up until 1900 as a passenger platform, I have seen a picture of a C12 and a load of four wheelers in there, but only the one picture.

manna

• Like 1

Fascinating pictures, another big "thank you" from me. Not just the pictures, but the memories too. I vaguely remember making two spotting trips to KX, once around 1977 with my Dad and then around 1980 solo. York Road and Hotel Curve closed by then, but the infrastructure would have been there. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't give it a moment's thought. I don't think I was even aware of the existence of the suburban platforms... Nostalgia is a terrible thing, and I now find myself wishing more than anything I could go back to around 1975 and spend a couple of hours there with a camera... that's why I'm grateful to those that did.

In the second set of photos from Mike (above), 6th down... that's Platform 17? Also interesting to see the ramp down to Platforms 16 & 17 (last photo). The sign to Platform 17 giving a good idea of the difference in levels. Again, fascinating stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating pictures, another big "thank you" from me. Not just the pictures, but the memories too. I vaguely remember making two spotting trips to KX, once around 1977 with my Dad and then around 1980 solo. York Road and Hotel Curve closed by then, but the infrastructure would have been there. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't give it a moment's thought. I don't think I was even aware of the existence of the suburban platforms... Nostalgia is a terrible thing, and I now find myself wishing more than anything I could go back to around 1975 and spend a couple of hours there with a camera... that's why I'm grateful to those that did.

In Summer 1975 we arrived back in the UK from Japan (Dad worked there) and got a taxi from Heathrow to KX, being a Sunday we had several hours wait till a train back to Sandy so I wandered all over the station but mainly the suburban side (where we caught a DMU) including the motor rail terminal and parcels platforms. I remember standing at the tunnel mouth on 17 willing an engine to burst out of it.

Sadly although at just 13 I had the use of Dads SLR camera, it was buried in the luggage and mum wouldn't let me empty the case out on the platform. . . .parents. . aren't they mean.

• Like 2

Another superb batch of photos in #243 Mike, many thanks for sharing them. The railways of London were festooned with dark dingy corners of interest and intrigue in those days, I'm so glad you made the effort to capture this feeling around KX. Now, imagine if 'The Ladykillers' had been made in 1965 or 1975 instead of 1955...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1