NEW DJM OO gauge HUO + N gauge 24.5t Hopper wagon (Crowdfunded)

DJM Dave

Hi Dave

Do you think that N gauge isn't that popular because of the size and people saying that failing eye sight dosent help

IMO the 'eye-sight' issue is somewhat an excuse. Failing eyesight would mean you struggle to see everything regardless of its scale. It's often said that people struggle with seeing small parts but the smallest bits with N gauge are no smaller than those in any other scale, it's just that there's a heck of a lot more small bits in an O gauge model.

G

IMO the 'eye-sight' issue is somewhat an excuse. Failing eyesight would mean you struggle to see everything regardless of its scale. It's often said that people struggle with seeing small parts but the smallest bits with N gauge are no smaller than those in any other scale, it's just that there's a heck of a lot more small bits in an O gauge model.

G

Measuring a 3mm cut on a piece of plasticard is the same in OO and N.

More bits to fall off in OO too.

• Like 1

I’ve heard apocryphal tales about the size of N gauge compared to OO gauge but you need to trust me on this, it’s not as big as everyone thinks, or those that think they know, say.

I’d say on average it’s 10-1 in OO to N gauge sales. Now this isn’t doom and gloom speaking, far from it, I won’t be backing away from N Gauge and have some really quite outstanding projects coming up, and more wagons in the pipeline too. As I said previously, it’s “my gauge” and I was fortunate enough to be allowed by the much missed in this business, George Smith, to drag it from the dark ages to what we pretty much accept as normal now in UK outline.

While your reading this, can I apologise, I’ve just opened a box in my hotel room and it doesn’t contain the promised N gauge HUO 3D prints I ordered. I’ve been told that DHL will be delivering them to my house on the 27th Nov. So, I’m sorry about that as I thought it would have been a nice ‘added’ surprise to what I’m announcing / unveiling etc.

I’ll be showing cad/cams at Warley, of the wagon and hope to get them up on here and my web site sometime around 8pm tomorrow night, bear with me though as it promises to be a long old day tomorrow.

12.00 midday at my stand is the major announcement for me, and I think it will stun some of you in many ways. Lol

Ok, enough of the teasing, i’ll Be back here tomorrow evening with the cad/cam designs.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

I’ve heard apocryphal tales about the size of N gauge compared to OO gauge but you need to trust me on this, it’s not as big as everyone thinks, or those that think they know, say.

I’d say on average it’s 10-1 in OO to N gauge sales. Now this isn’t doom and gloom speaking, far from it, I won’t be backing away from N Gauge and have some really quite outstanding projects coming up, and more wagons in the pipeline too. As I said previously, it’s “my gauge” and I was fortunate enough to be allowed by the much missed in this business, George Smith, to drag it from the dark ages to what we pretty much accept as normal now in UK outline.

While your reading this, can I apologise, I’ve just opened a box in my hotel room and it doesn’t contain the promised N gauge HUO 3D prints I ordered. I’ve been told that DHL will be delivering them to my house on the 27th Nov. So, I’m sorry about that as I thought it would have been a nice ‘added’ surprise to what I’m announcing / unveiling etc.

I’ll be showing cad/cams at Warley, of the wagon and hope to get them up on here and my web site sometime around 8pm tomorrow night, bear with me though as it promises to be a long old day tomorrow.

12.00 midday at my stand is the major announcement for me, and I think it will stun some of you in many ways. Lol

Ok, enough of the teasing, i’ll Be back here tomorrow evening with the cad/cam designs.

Cheers

Dave

Aha! The Fell in 00 (at last). That would probably stun more people than anything else. :jester:

Edited by No Decorum

The photo at the beginning does not match up with the brakegear on the CAD image and is the early one with the LNER style clasp brakes, whereas the long off set brake lever ones were more common!

I believe that this one would be the better one to sell as in the photo attached!

Mark Saunders

post-3578-0-48024400-1511649874.jpg

Edited by Mark Saunders

Just checked the crowd funded web page. There are wagons listed as 'BR Grey',  but there is no mention of numbering, either pre or post TOPS.

I like the idea of being able to but 17 wagons each with a different number.

It's about time the UK manufacturers woke up to this concept.

Local manufacturers here in Australia have being doing multi packs for years and they sell out very quickly.

If they are TOPs then I won't bother. Don't want to place an order only to find that I have to renumber the lot to pre TOPS.

Dave could you confirm the numbering, pre or post TOPS.

Cheers

Manfred

Just checked the crowd funded web page. There are wagons listed as 'BR Grey',  but there is no mention of numbering, either pre or post TOPS.

I like the idea of being able to but 17 wagons each with a different number.

It's about time the UK manufacturers woke up to this concept.

Local manufacturers here in Australia have being doing multi packs for years and they sell out very quickly.

If they are TOPs then I won't bother. Don't want to place an order only to find that I have to renumber the lot to pre TOPS.

Dave could you confirm the numbering, pre or post TOPS.

Cheers

Manfred

Hi Manfred,

Pre tops on these.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not for those who model pre-Tops.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi

However no use to those that don't. By limiting this to one or the other your limiting the number of people that will be interested and yes they can be renumbered but how many times do we see I can't do that.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

.... yes they can be renumbered but how many times do we see I can't do that.

Cheers

Paul

Far too many !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. Pre-TOPS wagons ran in the TOPS era; TOPS wagons, by definition, did not run in the pre-TOPS era.

Edited by cctransuk

From what I can tell there are three chassis types and two body styles.

The initial lot 2609 of 498 to diagram 1/148 showed their parentage and had LNER style clasp brakes.

All others to 1/148 had Double Independent brakes, a total of 2338 built.

diagram 1/149 was a 21t coal hopper and 150, 151 & 152 were coke hoppers

diagram 1/153 was the two lots totalling 250 Vacuum braked ones with the same body style and fitted version of the chassis

diagram 1/154 appear to be the same as 1/148 with the double brakes

diagram 1/155 had the same chassis but a revised style of body with a symmetrical upper on the body

In numerical terms the 1/148 diagram with independent double brake would be the ideal to produce and a later stage the 1/155 body could be produced

​Mark Saunders

My commitment to all 17 has now wavered because they will not be TOPS numbered. I was wanting to recreate something that looked like the final days of the Gedling- Spondon train but not enough to source the transfers and renumber 17 wagons.

Fully understand Mike,

I think it might be best to run a batch of Tops ones too in both gauges.

what do others think?

What is it about the best laid plans of mice and men?

Anyway, as a surprise at Warley you were meant to be able to see this......................... below. The package came today (Monday) at 5.20pm

The first 3D print of the N guage version and all the brake bits and bobs,

However something called a slicer had a problem and there was great fiddling with knobs and switches and how do you do's, and voilas......slightly over scale buffer, coupling, and footstep.

Please excuse the i phone pictures, and i'll use the mini studio tomorrow and improve upon it.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-61250300-1511805343_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-90837700-1511805360_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in thinking the difference between pre and post TOPS is a panel on the side and the wagon number? (excuse my ignorance.)

If so, even though I'd be looking for pre-tops and that gets my vote, if it was the difference between getting the wagons made or not, I'd be okay with post TOPS and modifying the markings myself, along with an un-healthy dose of weathering and filth.

My commitment to all 17 has now wavered because they will not be TOPS numbered. I was wanting to recreate something that looked like the final days of the Gedling- Spondon train but not enough to source the transfers and renumber 17 wagons.

Me too.

G.

Am I right in thinking the difference between pre and post TOPS is a panel on the side and the wagon number? (excuse my ignorance.)

If so, even though I'd be looking for pre-tops and that gets my vote, if it was the difference between getting the wagons made or not, I'd be okay with post TOPS and modifying the markings myself, along with an un-healthy dose of weathering and filth.

They didn't all get TOPS numbers/markings, as seen in the photo below taken in April 1985. The wagon which is the main feature hardly has any markings on it, including a number, and the one just creeping into picture on the right has only a number, on a very rusty body.

26384851121_499ab56ac8_h.jpgHUO B338137 [DBR5-127] by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 7