NEW DJM OO gauge HUO + N gauge 24.5t Hopper wagon (Crowdfunded)

DJM Dave

Regardless of what Dave is going through he still managed to make a reply in the APT thread but ignored questions in his other product threads. This seemed to be the trend even before post 186 where only certain questions got answered. I'm still waiting to see mention of the money upfront N gauge Class 17 on here something I was really interested in but less so now.

Hi Bill,

You won’t see anything class 17 related in this thread as it’s for the HUO wagons.

My replying to the APT thread was simply picking up my I pad, in a few spare moments and answering at random a question or 2 which as you can see by the brevity of my answers, was quick and to the point.

And as for the class 17? What vexes thee exactly? I’ve checked my private e mail mail address, the business address and my e-mails here but no question from you at all. If I’ve missed it, i’m very Sorry, and please post it in the class 17 section or pm me it directly and i’ll Reply within 24 hours.

For those of you not at Stafford this weekend, the alleged 3d printed tat from a failed investment, noted on display at TINGs 2017 ( a nod to Facebook this last week) was happily running on one of the layouts at the show.

I’ll be posting ‘you tube’ footage from my phone in a day or so in the class 17 thread, another forum and my web site with an update regarding progress following my recent mailings to customers.

• Like 2

Thank for your reply, I’ll remember to be more specific in the future. When I said “here” I meant this forum not this thread. As to you receiving a email from me I’m not sure why you would think that, I merely said I was less interested in the class 17 (after receiving the email from you about paying up front)

With your replying in the APT thread I think you’ve missed my point but I’ll let that go and let the thread get back to your HUO.

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan,

The total for crowdfunding is going up by the day which is a wonderful thing to have happen, and we are edging nearer.

I’m doing a slight re-draw that will move this wagon onwards in areas of detail, and have, as you would expect, a few cunning ideas regarding implementing detail you wouldn’t expect, and ideas you might have not thought of.

I think in a couple of weeks I may be in a position to show something ‘interesting’ but i’d rather leave it a bit longer as not to ‘tip my hand’ as it were.

Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

The total for crowdfunding is going up by the day which is a wonderful thing to have happen, and we are edging nearer.

I’m doing a slight re-draw that will move this wagon onwards in areas of detail, and have, as you would expect, a few cunning ideas regarding implementing detail you wouldn’t expect, and ideas you might have not thought of.

I think in a couple of weeks I may be in a position to show something ‘interesting’ but i’d rather leave it a bit longer as not to ‘tip my hand’ as it were.

Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the update and for taking the time to update me.

Thanks

Alan

There is a useful colour photo in "Industrial locomotives and railways of the Midlands" by Gordon Edgar published by Amberley. Page 121 is an October 1976 colour photo of RSH "Progress" in the colliery yard at Cadley Hill surrounded by HUOs. The majority are grey but there is a bauxite liveried exampled coupled to the loco. In the background a pair of green class 20s are hauling a train of grey HUOs.

The image is captioned as Colour Rail.

(This is also posted on the Accurascale thread) 

• 1 month later...

hi Graham,

i'll answer this over the weekend if thats ok?

as for the OO one, recent thoughts and a visit up north to photograph and measure the real thing has left me with a slight dilema.

1) internally there is a lot more detail than maybe most of us think. so do i model it?

well yes, but in all honesty, the best way would be in etched brass and steel to give the full relief detail, as does the underside as well.

so best do it right huh?

2) does the model need close coupling? yes it does or at least a shorter shank coupler fitted as standard to bring the gap down.

3) does the model need soft spring buffers? i'm not sure and am asking you all your thoughts? it\s it a novelty on a wagon, or does a true soft spring buffer appeal?

and

4) i have drawn up a compenated suspension system for the wagon and would like to incorporate it. do you think it's worth it? (it might add a quid to a quid 50 to each wagon) so again, over to you. Advantages and disadvantages

5) the wagon will have a coal load moulded with my easy lift magnetic system for removal on track to run empty if required.

so, over to you all, i'll gladly take on board your thoughts regarding this. Novelty or Needed?

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

My opinion..

As there is a pending other release of HUO (recognising they are different diagrams), i’d want the wagons not too far from each “genetically”, unless the wagons are totally different in actual design spec. The Hornby 71 sits nicely alongside the DJ 71 for example.

5. Personally loads don’t do much for me, i’ve no preference if they are included or not, and if I did, i’d Run a mixed rake of the different HUOs, but the load would be the same in both (it wouldn’t make sense to have shiny black lumps of coal in one, and matt black flakes in another, solely down to different manufacturers), so i’d load it myself.

3. Sprung buffers on a wagon is an interesting new industry trend, personally I like new super detailed wagons, at a minimum it would be nice if they were separately moulded / removable so if they weren’t sprung I wouldn’t have to hack the wagon to swap them for sprung versions, but I like sprung.

4. Compensated sprung chassis.. sounds nice i’d prefer to see it a bit more before I’d be in for it, I had an old wagon from eons ago with such a system but didn’t do much for me and was a bit of a fiddle, but that was 20 years ago.

2. Close coupling oh yes !

1. Interior in brass ! Oh yeah.

Edit.. kind of answered my thoughts in a tipsy turvey order but you get it.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

hi Graham,

as for the OO one, recent thoughts and a visit up north to photograph and measure the real thing has left me with a slight dilema.

1) internally there is a lot more detail than maybe most of us think. so do i model it?

well yes, but in all honesty, the best way would be in etched brass and steel to give the full relief detail, as does the underside as well.

so best do it right huh?

2) does the model need close coupling? yes it does or at least a shorter shank coupler fitted as standard to bring the gap down.

3) does the model need soft spring buffers? i'm not sure and am asking you all your thoughts? it\s it a novelty on a wagon, or does a true soft spring buffer appeal?

and

4) i have drawn up a compenated suspension system for the wagon and would like to incorporate it. do you think it's worth it? (it might add a quid to a quid 50 to each wagon) so again, over to you. Advantages and disadvantages

5) the wagon will have a coal load moulded with my easy lift magnetic system for removal on track to run empty if required.

so, over to you all, i'll gladly take on board your thoughts regarding this. Novelty or Needed?

cheers

Dave

1/ Your company strapline is 'setting higher standards', the accurascale model looks to be well detailed across all areas, so if you want to compete with that product, I'd suggest yes.

2/ a nice option I'd suggest that any coupling allows use on typical 2nd radius or smaller curves.

3/ it doesn't need them, but see answer 1, again, if your setting higher standards the answer is probably yes.

4/ Hard to comment without seeing the design, I suggest you show a copy of it so that those with experience of springing and compensation can comment objectively on it for you.

5/ if the rest of the wagon isn't right the idea will be seen as a novelty, if the wagon is right it'll be a USP no one else has.

8th of March you mentioned I think in a couple of weeks I may be in a position to show something ‘interesting’ but i’d rather leave it a bit longer as not to ‘tip my hand’ as it were.

The other HUO manufacturers wagon is now in production so any advantage they may have gained is lost.

You also mentioned in November that CADS were underway for the OO version, (11th November post #61), before you spend too much time adding details as above, perhaps if we viewed the existing CADS any extant errors can be addressed prior to adding any extra levels of detail as you are proposing. At the moment you've shown a 3D print sample and CADS of the N gauge variant which appears to be less popular, and are pushing forward the OO version where no CADs have been seen or a 3D print by your potential purchasers.

• Like 1

So this is my view.

1) Details that cannot be seen from normal viewing angle are not that important so keep them as a relief. That's what I would do if I had a model railway company.

2&3) Bin the idea of sprung buffers and concentrate on includinng a close coupling mechanism with NEM pockets. That's the best way to get reliable operation with a realistic look.

4) Compensated suspension sounds mouth watering, espacially for so little money. I'd say yes.

5) The most realistic I have seen is to use Woodland Scenics ballast filled in. It's best used with short couplings because then you can lift the wagon out of the train and pour its load back into where it came from.

• RMweb Premium

Here's my go.

1.)  As others have said, DJ Models, Setting Hire Standards... I think it needs it.

2.) Yes to close coupling but not at the expense of NEM coupling pockets.

3.) Nice to have but not essential.

4.)  Interesting to see, not sure if it's necessary, would need to see more.

5.) I never use the factory loads, so could definitely live with out them.

Good luck.

Owen

hi Graham,

Yep, that's fine. And now that the weekend and bank holday are well in the past . . . .

I guess that your revelation that there are only around 100 expressions/orders for the N gauge APT-P have raised concerns over the N gauge HUO hopper.

G

• RMweb Premium

With Grahame's answer perhaps you could include an early CAD of the 4mm version too, or a small section of it like Hornby sometimes did on their Engine Shed blogs.

It'd be nice to see more detail on the compensation idea too, with the hopper chutes being behind and between the wheels, I'm looking forward to seeing the idea in practise.

Yep, that's fine. And now that the weekend and bank holday are well in the past . . . .

I guess that your revelation that there are only around 100 expressions/orders for the N gauge APT-P have raised concerns over the N gauge HUO hopper.

G

Hi Graham,

So far i have a grand total of 635 x N gauge HUO hoppers with 'expressions of interest' in them. However please note that this includes single units that make up a 4 pack.

The demographic is the pre-tops is way ahead of tops versions which have not cleared single figures for each set and single wagon yet.

This figure includes cancellations, and customer changes from non 'tops' to 'tops' versions. Advertising will start up on these again soon and we will see if another few months of concerted 'push' helps these across the line.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

So far i have a grand total of 635 x N gauge HUO hoppers with 'expressions of interest' in them. However please note that this includes single units that make up a 4 pack.

This figure includes cancellations, and customer changes from non 'tops' to 'tops' versions.

Thanks for the update. Still a little way to go but it looks encouraging and hopefully is doable.

Have you changed my expression/order from non-TOPS to 'TOPS'?

G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update. Still a little way to go but it looks encouraging and hopefully is doable.

Have you changed my expression/order from non-TOPS to 'TOPS'?

G

I see the website still doesn't include an option for a single pre-Tops grey N-gauge wagon. Could this be holding sales back? I'd be in for one or even two as I can't justify four.

Edited by Crepello

• 4 weeks later...

Good day Dave,

ref the HUO in 4mm - I expressed an interest in some

how close are you to your 3000 target?

Have the totals changed significantly since the announcement and introduction of the Accurascale model

In the nicest possible way don't want to be disloyal but it has been sometime since the wagon was announced - was not one of the last of the big spenders but even so  I could use the money elsewhere if it is unlikely to be called up here in the very near future !! ;)

• 2 months later...

With three months since the last post on this thread/project and no response . . .

I'm interested in the TOPS N gauge version - is there an update please?

G

Hi Graham,

pre-orders continue to trickle in, but i dont think this is a go'er unless i can get stockists to come on board, to suplement, at a trade price, the shortfall.

however, looking at how the numbers match up, they will have to view the viability of HUO's in N gauge the same as i currently do.

I'm going to be sitting on Sharks, was sitting on Mermaids so maybe the HUO, which i thought was a 'no brainer' isnt such a sure thing after all.

Time will tell i suppose.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

pre-orders continue to trickle in, but i dont think this is a go'er unless i can get stockists to come on board, to suplement, at a trade price, the shortfall.

however, looking at how the numbers match up, they will have to view the viability of HUO's in N gauge the same as i currently do.

I'm going to be sitting on Sharks, was sitting on Mermaids so maybe the HUO, which i thought was a 'no brainer' isnt such a sure thing after all.

Dave

Hi Dave

I'm not what you'd class as trade but I may be interested in selling some to club members that are not online and may not know about these if a deal can be done if this is of any help please feel free to pm me

Thanks

Alan

Hi Graham,

Dave

If it doesn't turn out to be a go-er then I think its again because another company stepped in. Thanks for trying though.

• AY Mod locked this topic