Bagnall Wing Tank scratchbuild in 4mm scale

I haven't got the replacement parts for the bodywwork, yet, but there's nothing to stop me working on the frames. I have removed the old bufferbeams without too much trouble and now have a running chassis.

post-494-0-51394900-1523735837.jpg

The axles run directly in the frames with no bushes. I don't consider them to be necessary as with 40 thou thick frames there is plenty of surface area and it's not as if this loco will be going round and round some exhbition layout, so it shouldn't wear out any time oon. The axle holes in the frames have been cut out and filed back so both axles drop in and are retained by 14BA screws that go through tube that is soldered to the frames and tube that is tapped to take the screws and is also soldered to the frames at the other side of what is effectively the horn guide.

post-494-0-97477000-1523735275.jpg

It all runs silky smooth with the High Level 60:1 Slimliner and 10/15 Mashima.

• Like 13

After testing with both sets of rods on I took the wheels and motor out to fit the brakes. I have also made the lower part of the firebox from plasticard, which holds lead sheet within. The bufferbeams have been widened by soldering strips of brass to the outsides and now they are fitted to the frames all I need to do is make provision for fitting pickups and then the whole lot is ready for the paintshop and wheeling.

post-494-0-87458400-1523991342.jpg

I decided against the second set of buffers for working contractors' wagons and have gone for actual wooden dumb buffers instead.

• Like 4

I salvaged the valances from the old running plate, and widened the buffer beams by soldering pieces on the edges and filing them down until I got the correct width. The new running plate is now fitted and the new cab parts have been assembled and trial-fitted.

post-494-0-86903300-1524416616.jpg

post-494-0-52242800-1524416664.jpg

• Like 11

Almost there.

post-494-0-67949000-1524597377.jpg

It it looks a bit distorted it's partly the camera lens but also because the bodywork isn't screwed to the running plate yet and only one end is screwed to the frames at the moment. It all fits together very precisely and the layer of paint on the buffer beams and running plate ends is affecting the fit.

There's still lots to do before it's finished. Archers rivets will be put on the black-painted areas of the tank and bunkers, which will then be painted again. Sandboxes need to be made and fitted with sand pipes. Piping on the boiler and the boiler backhead need to be installed. Then it's works plates, name plates, coal in the bunkers, crew, weathering and couplings before it can enter service. I'm going to take it for a spin around Keighley club's test track in it's current state at the weekend.

• Like 6

Superb piece of work, you must be very pleased with how that's turned out.

Thanks! Yes, I am very pleased with it. I am wondering if it could be unique? There's no kit that I know of for a standard gauge Bagnall wing tank and there's definitely (and probably never will be) a RTR version, and although there have been narrow gauge variations I have never seen another standard gauge one scratchbuilt in any scale.

I'm so pleased with it that here's another photo but with added weathering.

post-494-0-71388100-1524772277.jpg

The next scratchbuild will be either a Manning Wardle paraffin loco, or Boulton's Hercules II. These may well be done completely in-house as I am going to be buying my own pantograph milling machine. Once I have that I'll be able to make sets of parts for Manning Wardle class H and these Bagnalls available as scratch aids, should anyone want to build one for themselves.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13

Stunning work Ruston! Has come out very nicely.

Hadn’t even realised that Bagnall built standard gauge wing tanks as well as the narrow gauge ones.

Will be interesting to see developments with your new pantograph milling machine. Are you intending producing parts for 7mm scale in addition to 4mm scale

Cheers,

Andrew

Stunning work Ruston! Has come out very nicely.

Hadn’t even realised that Bagnall built standard gauge wing tanks as well as the narrow gauge ones.

Will be interesting to see developments with your new pantograph milling machine. Are you intending producing parts for 7mm scale in addition to 4mm scale

Cheers,

Andrew

In theory I will be able to produce parts in any scale, providing the patterns fit on the table. In practice I won't have anything to do with N/2mm because it's all just too fiddly but 7mm no problem. I've just got to work out how to get a machine that weighs about half a ton off a trailer and into the garage first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread! I believe it was this loco I got to see in the flesh at Keighley Model railway clubs open day recently, it definantly impressed me. A fantastic bit of modelling!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...