Information Regarding RTR to EM

Hi All,

Hoping people can confirm/deny my underatanding of RTR to EM. I would love to model in p4 for track asthetic reasons, however the cost of doing so just isn't viable currently. I presumed this to be the case for EM also utill i came across a thread which mentioned just widining the back to back of RTR stock. Naturually some models work better than most but I was wondering on locos that are post 2015 is this a viable option, I appreciate it depends on flange width, chassis, manufacturer etc.

Now, my understanding is this is an option due to EM being more 'flexible' when it comes to design parameters, I read how p4 flanges need to be shallower and the track needs to be almost perfectly smooth, whilst EM I didn't come across the same thoughts. Of course I would build track to be as smooth as possible but would like to have a bit more room for a drop in standards....

The guinea pig loco is my Bachmann G2A which was the first to be weathered and first to be detailed, so as it's still running I thought it is the right candidate to have this tested. Really the options comes down to wheel sets, I don't want to spend £60+ on new wheels for locos but I would like to alter back to backs to achieve EM running.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris, your best bet is to join EMGS  ( http://www.emgs.org/ ).  With your membership you'll get a CD with the manual which contains loads of great advice.

RTR wheels tend to be quite coarse.  Tyre width is ~ 2.75mm and flange width is ~ 0.75mm (IIRC, EM calls for 2.5mm and 0.5mm resp.).  The width of wheels will mean that as you increase the B2B, you can foul the footplate, especially if the loco has splashers.  The flange width is also potentially an issue because EM standards call for 1mm flangways on crossings and checkrails. 

John (now happily doing 0 gauge)

Thanks for the advice on this. 

Is the general conscensious that new locos are easier to convert with wheel pulling or would you always advise for a new wheel set? 

I appreciate flanges etc so the idea of having the 're-build' a loco isn't on the table just yet.

Thanks