Diesel speed record

Here we have a rather nondescript HST power car arriving at Paddington. Unnamed and unloved.

Historically, though, it could be argued that this is the most important one; more significant than the lauded 43002 (currently in something like its original livery), or 43198, the last one built.

So why 43159?

I understand that this was the leading power car, hence the one actually carrying the driver, that achieved the official world speed record for a diesel train. A record it still holds.

attachicon.gifP1090353.JPG

Bet it doesn't get preserved.....

Meanwhile, on the East Coast....

post-30014-0-70882800-1516034794_thumb.jpg

post-30014-0-51639100-1516034825_thumb.jpg

Hmm, could have parked it better for the photo

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

We do seem to under-play speed records. Even Mallard didn't have it's plaque until BR days. Is there anything on the UK Electric traction record holder?

Over in France, each of their TGV sets holding a particular record carries a palque, and often some livery change to denote it.

Their electric loco, CC7107, had the plaques for ages until the class was nearing completion and they were removed for safe-keeping. I was once photographing it at Miramas and was approached by an SNCF worker who wasked why I was so interested in that loco.

when I started to explain about it's being the speed record holder, he called his mate over, saying, "Hey, there's an English guy here knows about our loco!".

The plaques on CC7107 are now back in place in preservation.

Here's on on the TGV Atlantique set which used to hold the record:

post-13196-0-15025800-1520767800_thumb.jpg

After photographing that, I was immediately appraoched by the driver and offered a cab visit.

They are very proud of their railways.

• Like 4