Loco-hauled trains on the Met?

F2Andy

I was at Rickmansworth earlier today, around 1030, and as I arrived there was a freight train (or PW train?) passing through heading south; about 10 tank wagons with a class 66 on either end. Can anyone tell me what it was?

Later I was a loco-hauled passenger train, possibly in cross country livery, heading north on the Chiltern line south of Harrow. Again I am wondering what this is. I used to live in Ricky, and regularly used the Met in the eighties and never saw anything loco-hauled back then, so it was quite a surprise to see these two,

Utterly unrelated, why do underground trains not have yellow fronts, when all mainline locos and multiple units have had to since the early sixties?

• RMweb Premium

Possibly a connected question, there is an infrastructure depot at Wellingborough on the MML which despatches trains to LUL for track and engineering renewal, hauled by GBRF 66s. What route do they follow to access the LUL network? Is this via Aylesbury & Rickmansworth?

Dava

• RMweb Gold

I was at Rickmansworth earlier today, around 1030, and as I arrived there was a freight train (or PW train?) passing through heading south; about 10 tank wagons with a class 66 on either end. Can anyone tell me what it was?

The RHTT set 3J04 passed Ricky around 10:36 yesterday

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H87842/2017/11/02/advanced

The consist is normally like this and you can perm 2 from 66001/17/19 as they're the only 3 that are tripcock fitted

post-11293-0-28581800-1509727904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land

F2A

The loco hauled passenger train that you saw was probably one of Chiltern's, as per this http://www.leightonlogs.org/ChilternLHdec15.htm

LU trains have had headlights for many years, and are deemed suitably visible by that means. I've wondered why yellow fronts have persisted so long on the national network, given the presence of headlights, but I know that proposals to amend the national standard attracted a lot of comment ..... I haven't looked at what the latest version says, but it is on the RSSB website somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

If your saying you saw a loco hauled set ‘south of harrow’ I’d say you were actually south of Neasden jn as that’s where the chiltern loco hauled sets peel off and head towards Birmingham via high Wycombe, it will have been running on the far lines to the right (as you head into london), no chiltern loco hauled stuff goes via harrow as they don’t have trip cocks fitted and in all honesty that line has no where for them to realistically go

Edited by big jim

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was definitely the RHTT.

I had not realised the Marylebone-Birmingham service was loco hauled, and the livery was very different to that of the Chiltern Railways DMUs. Is it a push-pull?

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was definitely the RHTT.

I had not realised the Marylebone-Birmingham service was loco hauled, and the livery was very different to that of the Chiltern Railways DMUs. Is it a push-pull?

Yes, with a Class 68 at the Birmingham end and a DVT at the London end. Well worth travelling on, by the way !