Hayling Island Signalling

clarkeeboy56

There are some wonderfully evocative videos on YouTube (for example) of railways. I've recently been looking at video's covering the Branch Lines to Westerham, Hawkhurst, Hoo and Hayling Island. All very illuminating , and very useful as a modelling reference.

The latter is particularly interesting and shows something that I've never noticed before.

The starter signal for the main line (actually the arrival bay) is Lower Quadrant, yet the starter on the bay (the departure bay) is Upper Quadrant

Does anyone know why this was? Was it common elsewhere?

They say that there is a prototype for everything and it's a quirky feature that I could use in my Swanhurst layout!

Thanks in advance.....

• RMweb Premium

There are some wonderfully evocative videos on YouTube (for example) of railways. I've recently been looking at video's covering the Branch Lines to Westerham, Hawkhurst, Hoo and Hayling Island. All very illuminating , and very useful as a modelling reference.

The latter is particularly interesting and shows something that I've never noticed before.

The starter signal for the main line (actually the arrival bay) is Lower Quadrant, yet the starter on the bay (the departure bay) is Upper Quadrant

Does anyone know why this was? Was it common elsewhere?

They say that there is a prototype for everything and it's a quirky feature that I could use in my Swanhurst layout!

Thanks in advance.....

I believe it was simply the case that the original LBSCR era LQ Bay starting signal required replacement (due to a rotten post for example) by the SR or by BR(S). As both organisations were firmly of the UQ signalling school, that is what got installed.

All the running signals at Hayling Island were ex-LBSCR LQ examples until the early 1950s, when everything bar the up bay starting signal was renewed using rail-built posts and UQ arms. The up bay starting signal was used much less than the others so it may have been a question of unacceptable wear and tear in the signal mechanisms rather than rotten posts that brought about renewal.

In BR days there were several examples on ex-LSWR lines in the West Country of both UQ and LQ arms being present on the same bracket signal - Halwill Junction being home to one such example.

• 1 year later...