Wellyboots

• RMweb Gold

As Parkside have now been aquired by Peco I thought it might be worth stating a discussion thread for the range in the Peco area.

At the moment the Peco website only has holding page for the range; https://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=parkside

Dundas Models remains independent and has it's own website; http://www.dundasmodels.co.uk/home.html

Regards

RM arrived this morning with a glossy enclosure listing Parkside by Peco - seems to include all the 00 kits, 0 and N, plus the accessories, such as chassis. There is a guide on assembly as well. No mention  of prices. It looks like Peco intend to keep the range and expand by marketing. Encouraging, I think.

• Like 2

Encouraging, I think.

Yes.

As yet there is no clear picture as to how Peco is going to support S7 modellers who have been able to obtain Parkside kits with S7 wheels by:-

* mail-order;

* pre-order for collection at shows;

* wheel exchange at shows.

Indications to date are that Peco is prepared to do wheelset exchange by post.

Edited by Western Star

• RMweb Premium

Parkside used to do a range of Scottish private owner liveried coal wagons based on P501 [7mm scale] These weren't in their own catalogue and not in the new one either but could be obtained at shows, will they re-appear one wonders?

The catalogue hints at new wagons. A Scottish malt hopper wagon would be useful for brewery & distillery layouts, they had a pitched roof similar to a salt wagon but higher. There are also repeated and reasonable requests from Cornish & other modellers for hooded China clay wagons, if a class 22 emerges this demand will likely increase.

Dava

Does anyone know whether Parkside kits accept Slaters axles?

Important to me, because I swing the opposite way to Western Star, and run coarse wheel standards, which Slaters supply.

Thus far, plastic hasn't been allowed on my layout, but that catalogue in Rm has set me thinking.

Kevin

RM arrived this morning with a glossy enclosure listing Parkside by Peco - seems to include all the 00 kits, 0 and N, plus the accessories, such as chassis. There is a guide on assembly as well. No mention  of prices. It looks like Peco intend to keep the range and expand by marketing. Encouraging, I think.

Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh held a Peco promotion this weekend attended by a Peco representative to to promote the Parkside range and the new points. He told me that the intention is to expand the Parkside range and that the former owner of Parkside will be acting as an advisor on future products. He also said that sales of kits are increasing, driven, it is thought, by the rising price of RTR models. He agreed with a comment that kit manufacturers can exploit the periodic non availability of RTR models caused by their being produced in batches.

The brochure mentioned above shows that the contents of the Parkside kits will not change, the '00' kits will still include wheels [and although it isn't stated the illustration shows metal wheels] and the '0' gauge kits will be complete including transfers.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

Yes.

As yet there is no clear picture as to how Peco is going to support S7 modellers who have been able to obtain Parkside kits with S7 wheel by:-

* mail-order;

* pre-order for collection at shows;

* wheel exchange at shows.

Indications to date are that Peco is prepared to do wheelset exchange by post.

I would submit that Peco would do better by offering the option of no wheels if purchased (mail order) through the shop at Beer. This would save Peco the hassle of stocking a wider range of alternative profiles as Parkside Dundas used to do (viz. coarse scale as well as S7) and allow modellers a wider choice of supplier still. Slightly OT but relevant is that Peartree Engineering and Roxey all-steel wheels are preferred by some for the additional weight, especially for useful for plastic kits, which may be the reason that Slater's has just announced its own solid steel wheels too. M&M Models sell the Peartree wheels with miniature ball bearings in place of the pin point type. Finally there is in the case of Slater's wheelsets a cost differential between the various profiles that needs to be allowed for as well.

Parkside used to do a range of Scottish private owner liveried coal wagons based on P501 [7mm scale] These weren't in their own catalogue and not in the new one either but could be obtained at shows, will they re-appear one wonders?

The catalogue hints at new wagons. A Scottish malt hopper wagon would be useful for brewery & distillery layouts, they had a pitched roof similar to a salt wagon but higher. There are also repeated and reasonable requests from Cornish & other modellers for hooded China clay wagons, if a class 22 emerges this demand will likely increase.

Dava

There's always the extensive range of transfers and pre-finished kits from POWSides: http://www.powsides.co.uk/ who supplied Parkside Dundas with the Scottish ones you mention.

• Like 1

My Parkside wagons, NB open and van, have Slaters wheels, and they used to sell them. I didn't build the kits, but I don't think there's any doubt that they fit.

As far as I'm aware all 7mm scale Parkside kits were supplied with Slater's wheelsets, which Parkside also used to supply separately. Don't know if Peco will change from these to their own brand as supplied in their 7mm scale (ex-Webster) kits - although these are only offered in 8 spoke & 3 hole disc versions (no split spoke type). Unfortunately my experiences with the Peco wheelsets has not always been good as they can have a tendency to shed their metal rims.

I now have a copy of the Parkside by Peco catalogue to hand and I'm impressed by the effort that the Peco folks are putting into the range. The catalogue is A4 format, full colour and runs to 16 pages. Inside it starts with 3 pages of illustrated step by step instructions for building the 00 gauge 16T Mineral Wagon (PC21) and 0 gauge LMS 20T Brake Van (PS111), although there's the odd hiccup in that step 1 in assembling the Brake Van consists of drilling out the holes in the body for handrails with a pin vice by capillary action... you have to read it to get it. At the end of those builds it sets out Peco's acquisition of and ambitions for the Parkside ranges. It also lists the basic kit contents in both those scales and both include wheels, although there isn't any information about exchanges to other wheel standards.

That's followed by 6 fully illustrated pages of each 00 gauge kit and the accessories in that scale, 5 fully illustrated pages for the 0 gauge kits and accessories and the back page illustrates the limited range available in N gauge.

I'm informed that the new Peco website is well on in development and should be going live in the not too distant future. The suggestion of making this catalogue available as a PDF download is being taken under consideration for it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

can I ask are they avilable in magazines, and which ones?

or are they at model shops to pick up?

thanks in advance

I.

The catalogue is included (bagged) with the December issue of Railway Modeller.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

can I ask are they avilable in magazines, and which ones?

or are they at model shops to pick up?

thanks in advance

I.

A copy is in the bag with the current (December) issue of Railway Modeller. No doubt Peco stockists will be receiving supplies but I do not know when - there are some retailers on this forum who might know the answer. Or, you can wait for the new website and hope that it is a downloadable PDF.

• 5 weeks later...

I hope Peco makes new kits rather than just produce more of the same.

Not only have Peco made it very clear in print that they intend to develop and extend the range but they have also invited suggestions for new kits. This is probably easiest to realise in 0 gauge as the range is currently limited, with quite a few very useful kits in the 00 range not repeated in the larger scale nor available elsewhere. The problem becomes more challenging in 00 gauge as an increasing number of proprietary/RTR manufacturers introduce models of types that Parkside Dundas developed as kits over the many years that they have been in business.

A simple wishful statement on a forum is of little use, nor is agreeing with it. If you or anyone else has any genuine ideas and suggestions then contact Peco through the Technical Bureau, ideally with some supporting evidence as to why whatever you propose in whichever particular scale will be worth their investment.

I posted this in the other Parkside thread the a few days ago, if anyone is interested?

I was in the Model Centre in Ely (Cambs) this week, there were Parkside kits in both the old packaging (P-D red) & the new Peco blue packaging. Not many, but at least available.

Stewart

Are the new Peco ones in boxes like the ratio kits or are they bagged like the old Parkside Dundas kits?

Saw some Peco branded Parkside kits in Monk Bar Models in York today and they are very much still bagged. 

I do think there is good scope to expand the range - do we not often hear from those in the know that kit and rtr coverage of big 4 open and van wagons is pretty poor given the sheer number of them built in the 1910's, 1920's and 1930's? There are so many diagrams of GWR open wagon that have never been done, for instance. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

Modelmasters had been notifying customers that they were withdrawing their minipacks for Parkside kits. Here's why...

Modelmaster will be supplying PECO with bespoke Decal Sets to be included in every 4mm Scale PECO Parkside Dundas Wagon Kit from early 2018. 

Each decal set will include alternative numbers (and markings for alternative eras where applicable)

That's why we're withdrawing all existing Parkside Dundas WAGON MINIPACKS from our Website permanently from the 31st December 2017

Some Modelmaster Minipacks will still be available from Peter's Spares, who sell our decals on eBay and online, until stocks are exhausted.

SOME MINIPACKS WILL STILL APPEAR ON OUR WEBSITE FOR CAMBRIAN & OTHER KITS.

• Like 2

A pity if you've got a stash of unbuilt kits! Hopefully the bespoke sets will be available as "spares" from Peco....

Many of the standard decal sets cover Parkside kits, although maybe a bit more expensive if only one or two wagons are to be numbered.

The parkside catalogue can be downloaded from the respective Peco webpage :-)

Brilliant - well done Peco for acting on my suggestion even though the current/old website is due for replacement soon. No templates for the new Code 75 BH track though...