Wellyboots

Just a brief note here to advise those interested that Richard Hollingworth, lately one half of Parkside and designer/toolmaker of so many of the kits sold under that brand, passed away on Wednesday 7th March 2019 in Fife. I understand that his intended retirement was cut short by lung cancer, undiagnosed for some time. A gentleman of the old school, who always had time to discuss models and future possibilities at shows and was ever polite in written and spoken communications.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
To correct spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 21:16, Pint of Adnams said:

Just a brief note here to advise those interested that Richard Hollingworth, lately one half of Parkside and designer/toolmaker of so many of the kits sold under that brand, passed away on Wednesday 7th March 2019 in Fife. I understand that his intended retirement was cut short by lung cancer, undiagnosed for some time. A gentleman of the old school, who always had time to discuss models and future possibilities at shows and was ever polite in written and spoken communications.

This is terrible news. Richard was always very helpful and friendly. What rotten luck.

On 15/02/2019 at 20:31, Godfrey Glyn said:

That is good news indeed, the original had a major error which unless you realised and did a modification would produce a non-parallel set of wheels. It was well documented on one of the Wild Swan books, sorry away from home and can't remember either the title or author. I suspect that PECO know that and may therefore have two reasons for a re-tooling of the kit. Thank goodness it's PECO that have taken over the range and not someone who might not want to spend money on re-tooling the model.

all the best

Godfrey 

I agree Godfrey and the book you are thinking of is Wild Swann's THE 4mm WAGON, Part One, Opens, Minerals and Hoppers. The author is the excellent Mr Geoff Kent .....Turn to page no 78.....Bulk Grain Hoppers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I've just noticed that the Ratio coach kits are now listed as part of the Parkside range.

https://peco-uk.com/collections/rolling-stock/products/lms-48-feet-suburban-coach-kit

However the SR Bogie B Van is still part of the Ratio range. IMO that one fits in more with Parkside than anything else.

https://peco-uk.com/products/sr-br-28ton-bogie-b-van-kit?_pos=23&_sid=16bcf8f0b&_ss=r

Jason

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yew, I thought that was odd. It might have made more sense if the Ratio wagons its had become Parkside, after all Parkside are well known for wagon kits and haven't done coaches before, aside from NPCCS vehicles, most of which are more wagon than coach like.

I suspect all the "Ratio" rolling stock kits will become Parkside over time, leaving Ratio with the line side structures and scenic details. I wouldn't be surprise to see some item swapping between Wills and Ratio as well. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I know that they are still in the range but actual physical availability seems to have ranged from not a lot to non existent.

It would be nice to see the range in N expanded but OO is understandably getting more priority.