Straiton loop

steven156

Well Straiton loop, its been a long time coming but it finally got built last year!

Straiton loop was inspiredabd very much based on plan 18 in the current Peco Trackplans book. So it was built with some variation on the plan to allow longer trains and more scenary and building potential. However unlike the track plan theres no station, the reason why is due to the "Hornby curved platform" issue. When the track was laid i ran a Class 156 around and found the clearances for an island platform on second radius curves would have made the platform look ridiculous.

However I remembered that Glen Douglas on the West Highland Line was a passing loop with a signal box in the middle so I went with that!

The layout is quite versatile as theres nothing that can date the layout, its whats put on it that dates it. Im a big bus and train enthusiast, and I decided to incorporate a bus depot onto the layout, which is on a 6x4 baseboard.

It is DCC with a trusty Dynamis, am currently having some issues with the Bachmann Class 66's on the pointwork, something Im going to work on this easter!

post-9046-127020050467_thumb.jpg

post-9046-127020052772_thumb.jpg

post-9046-127020066005_thumb.jpg

Hi

This looks brilliant :D ,about the point work,are you using Hornby set track?,if so Bachmann 66s will derail over and over again.However,if you replace them with Peco set track points which are the same size/radius but they are built better and they dont derail 66s or any other locos,the same problem happened to me and I have replaced all my Hornby points for peco ones,problem sorted. ;)

Do you have a trackplan so we could get a better idea of the layout? :)

Regards

Lewis

Thanks for the kind comments!

The trackwork is all Hornby unfortunately. My local dealer Trainsontime in Paisley only does Hornby, ironicallty the point motors are Peco as they had a pile of secondhand prewired ones in!

Bachmann 57's will run fine on the points but Bachmann 66's it seems are quite fussy when it comes to pointwork! However the worst for the points has to be the Hornby Pacer- I really wanted to run one (they do run up to Scotland to Springburn works once in a blue moon) but they just cant cope with the points and the curves.

Ill try to get some overhead shots tomorrow to give some idea of trackplan, thats after I chase the DRS class 37's running to Stranraer!

• 1 month later...

I replaced the problematic Hornby points with Peco points and magically the problem with Bachmann 37's and 67's derailing magically vanished!:lol:

Have changed the buses in the depot again, going for 2003, a Lothian Buses depot in the ScotRail/National Express era- photos to follow! So there's two bright outlandish liveries- the ScotRail "whoosh" livery and Lothian Buses "harlequin" livery....

• 8 months later...

A long awaited wee update, a new addition! The Harburn Hobbies/Model Rail Class 150/2 unit. Its a really beautiful model, I just wish slightly that National Express retained the ScotRail franchise so that this livery remained!

post-9046-0-40859300-1296381951_thumb.jpg

Archived