Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

• RMweb Gold

Some pics of the long awaited and much discussed product. Acquired from Frizinghall Models yesterday. They had a decent stock level and selling them for £27.

Mods, please feel free to move/lock this thread as appropriate.

45 pages later I'm wondering why the OP thought we might need the thread locked.

A great thread. Thanks for starting it.

• RMweb Premium

The blade tips must be far enough apart that there is no possibility of wheel backs touching the open blade tip, causing a short-circuit. The amount of gauge-slop in the 00 RTR settings and the variation in back-to-backs requires a significant gap between the blade tips.

Is it a problem for the slip? If my electrickery knowledge is correct, the blades on a slip will always be at the same polarity as the adjacent rail to which it closes.

Blade tip to tip for a double shouldn't be a problem either, as the gap is fixed by the connection to the tie-bar

• RMweb Premium

Is it a problem for the slip? If my electrickery knowledge is correct, the blades on a slip will always be at the same polarity as the adjacent rail to which it closes.

Blade tip to tip for a double shouldn't be a problem either, as the gap is fixed by the connection to the tie-bar

Yes, but the two blades need to/will be of opposing polarities. If they are positioned too near the crossing then the gap between them can be less than the clearance figure the particular gauge standard -in this case OO - uses. Okay for straight across passage, but could cause shorting issues re the wheel rears when through the curved route.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but the two blades need to/will be of opposing polarities. If they are positioned too near the crossing then the gap between them can be less than the clearance figure the particular gauge standard -in this case OO - uses. Okay for straight across passage, but could cause shorting issues re the wheel rears when through the curved route.

Izzy

Oops - now I realise which blade gap.......

Looking at the Peco 3D print the blade-blade gap looks large enough not to cause any trouble.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

So last night I thought I should start to weather the points in a bid to actually get something done!

I had previously discussed the idea of adding fishplate to the flexi bullhead track at 60ft lengths to make it look something like the real thing.... So I thought I would start it with the points...

Granted this is just the fishplates added and the weathering is just started, but.....

cMyjEM.jpg

lb6KXf.jpg

Poor images taken with phone!

Ian

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oops - now I realise which blade gap.......

Looking at the Peco 3D print the blade-blade gap looks large enough not to cause any trouble.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, I know this problem only because I hit it recently when making a single-slip in 2mm/2FS and had to change the template I had made to move the tie-bar/blades one sleeper further in to get the required clearence. Just like I presume Peco have had to do to for the OO standards. It's all nip & tuck with model pointwork when allowance has to be made for electrical isolation for the track/wheel standards which the real thing mostly doesn't have to consider!

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I know this problem only because I hit it recently when making a single-slip in 2mm/2FS and had to change the template I had made to move the tie-bar/blades one sleeper further in to get the required clearence. Just like I presume Peco have had to do to for the OO standards. It's all nip & tuck with model pointwork when allowance has to be made for electrical isolation for the track/wheel standards which the real thing mostly doesn't have to consider!

Hi Izzy,

Templot has a setting for that:

post-1103-0-67232800-1543749298_thumb.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So last night I thought I should start to weather the points in a bid to actually get something done!

I had previously discussed the idea of adding fishplate to the flexi bullhead track at 60ft lengths to make it look something like the real thing.... So I thought I would start it with the points...

Granted this is just the fishplates added and the weathering is just started, but.....

cMyjEM.jpg

lb6KXf.jpg

Poor images taken with phone!

Ian

Nice work Ian. Did you open up the fishplates and then crimp them on?

Nice work Ian. Did you open up the fishplates and then crimp them on?

Hi,

Yes that's how I did it. A pair of very fine tweezers were very handy to feed them in and pull you into place . Also now managed to score across the top of the rail head with a watch makers screwdriver and open up the make with a strong blade. Got matt black paint into the gap..... It's starting to look like a proper joint!

Many thanks

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Got the straight track and the points yesterday, they look great, a world apart from the standard code 75 rail so used to, what else is being planned for the range does anyone know?

Hi,

Single and double slips, and long diamond-crossing, are all promised for this year.

Medium-radius turnouts are shown as future plans in the current issue of Railway Modeller.

The range also includes a buffer stop, and some neat rail joiners which have been taken up by many builders of handbuilt track, including in P4.

Martin.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 29/01/2019 at 01:51, Ben Alder said:

I see from Peco's 2019 announcements that medium radius points are part of the range along with a plan to greatly expand this sector of their products.

What exactly do they mean by "medium radius"? Which part number in the current flat bottom rail  code 75 range would this match?

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ruston said:

What exactly do they mean by "medium radius"? Which part number in the current flat bottom rail  code 75 range would this match?

See: https://peco-uk.com/collections/track/products/turnout-medium-radius-right-hand16

The bullhead turnouts are drop-in replacements for the existing range on the same footprints.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Ruston said:

They will be the same dimensions as SL95 and SL96 in the streamline range 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

My personal wish is that they 'dare' to move away from compatability with previous, and venture a point with a smaller crossing angle.

Somewhere down the line I'd love to see a #6 or #8 crossing angle, even just described as 'extra large radius' or something maybe even matching the code 83 geometry which although not exactly perfect is a sight better than 'large' radius. Pie in the sky wishful thinking, I know. But it would be nice. For now though I'll make do with building larger pointwork if/where needed and be glad that RTP bullhead exists.

Right now I just want the slips to arrive...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Somewhere down the line I'd love to see a #6 or #8 crossing angle, even just described as 'extra large radius' or something maybe even matching the code 83 geometry which although not exactly perfect is a sight better than 'large' radius. Pie in the sky wishful thinking, I know. But it would be nice. For now though I'll make do with building larger pointwork if/where needed and be glad that RTP bullhead exists.

Right now I just want the slips to arrive...

You can have a 1:6 peco turnout shortly, but in EM gauge.