Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Anders63 said:

I don´t use code 55 and american tracks.

I was just only pointed out the short comings.

But you did make your remark in a rather clumsy manner. Let's put that down to English not being your first language.

Copperclad construction always has the problem of lacking spikes or chairs. But that is still a nice looking turnout. To scale, track spikes are very small and don't readily work on their own to hold the rail.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But you did make your remark in a rather clumsy manner. Let's put that down to English not being your first language.

Copperclad construction always has the problem of lacking spikes or chairs. But that is still a nice looking turnout. To scale, track spikes are very small and don't readily work on their own to hold the rail.

Yes i did remark.

So what is your point if Peco didn´t add details on the track? :huh:

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Anders63 said:

Yes i did remark.

When criticising the work of others it is usual to post something constructive.

For example in this case, you could suggest a means of adding the track fixings, a link to a supplier of the parts needed, and perhaps include a photo of your own work.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Given the scale of the model in question, I thought the criticism of the code 55 rail on copperclad base rather harsh, as additional details on hand-built track in such a small scale must be a great rarity. I suggest such tiny details will be less apparent to the naked eye than the question of whether the overall proportions of the track are correct. However, given the age of the post that was being criticised, I wondered whether the author of that post would ever see the criticism. On that basis, when I saw the updated thread earlier today, I couldn't see the point in responding to the belated criticism and thereby giving it more prominence.

• Agree 1

Seen the criticism.

I still think my code 55 turnout is outstanding, I think some peoples direct rudeness is also outstanding, am I offended, no.

It would be nice if the critic showed some of his work....

Here's some short line trackwork on the Georgia Northern..  Not much to see in the way of fixings.... or other track detail

1036760984_GeorgiaNortherns-l1600closeup.jpg.73ca483c36a01f1bfb93b7db1f57040a.jpg

1424038891_GeorgiaNortherns-l1600.jpg.0680c257ec62e81232201c9fb4dc0aa5.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Anders63 said:

Yes i did remark.

Anders,

As others have said, your comment was blunt to the point of rudeness, something which I make allowance for given that you are, presumably, not a native English speaker.

And what do Peco have to do with this? The Code 55 turnout shown is handmade on copperclad sleepering (ties).

Peco's own US type trackwork in Code 83 and (soon) Code 70 has very nice representations of the track spikes and yet they have been able to make it rather more robust than Tillig's.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2017 at 16:58, The Bigbee Line said:

I have too many flat bottom turnouts in my current stock that need using up so will try to resist the Bullhead turnouts.  My thought is that the 'medium' would be the next most useful edition with either a single slip or three way to follow.

If you need something at all exotic, build it or get someone else to do it.  I had a need for a single turnout for US outline in HO.  It was for a backwoods branch line in the South East US.  I contacted a guy in the states and he built me a No.8 in code 55....  I couldn't make such a good job and it avoids the necessary compromises from Peco code 83.

Peco have done well with this point and well done Mr Peco..

Here is the Code 55 HO turnout, very impressive..

post-2484-0-69378100-1510159989_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-51348600-1510159930_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-81968100-1510159968_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-45450300-1510159972_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-15257000-1510159976_thumb.jpg

22 hours ago, Anders63 said:

Yours code 55 are not impressive.

There is missing details like spikes and details to put rail on the sleepers.

Looking at the turnout I see a nicely made piece of trackwork, it does lack some finer details but does look like a real turnout, but it is being viewed out of context as it is not installed on a layout. It's not how an individual component looks in isolation as many layouts on this forum use track that, out of the box, might be described as unimpressive, but once on the layout and with a little bit of work can be made to look very good. The turnout in question installed on a layout, ballasted, weathered, and given the scenic treatment as shown in Ernie's picture above, certainly has the potential to make a very impressive model.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

When criticising the work of others it is usual to post something constructive.

For example in this case, you could suggest a means of adding the track fixings, a link to a supplier of the parts needed, and perhaps include a photo of your own work.

cheers,

Martin.

We have criticize to present fault(s).

It is normal to avoid next time mistakes.

Didn´t you criticize about Peco old system who has been same for past 40 years?

57 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Anders,

As others have said, your comment was blunt to the point of rudeness, something which I make allowance for given that you are, presumably, not a native English speaker.

And what do Peco have to do with this? The Code 55 turnout shown is handmade on copperclad sleepering (ties).

Peco's own US type trackwork in Code 83 and (soon) Code 70 has very nice representations of the track spikes and yet they have been able to make it rather more robust than Tillig's.

I hope you didn´t criticize fault something else too?

I use Tillig elite and they are equal good quality like Peco.

But Peco code 83 do have hinge switch blade while Tillig do have full switch blade.

About code 55...yes?

Still missing details on the track. :huh:

12 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Seen the criticism.

I still think my code 55 turnout is outstanding, I think some peoples direct rudeness is also outstanding, am I offended, no.

It would be nice if the critic showed some of his work....

Here's some short line trackwork on the Georgia Northern..  Not much to see in the way of fixings.... or other track detail

1036760984_GeorgiaNortherns-l1600closeup.jpg.73ca483c36a01f1bfb93b7db1f57040a.jpg

1424038891_GeorgiaNortherns-l1600.jpg.0680c257ec62e81232201c9fb4dc0aa5.jpg

It is very seldom to see vegetation on the tracks even at the railway yard.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Anders63 said:

It is very seldom to see vegetation on the tracks even at the railway yard.

These days many sections of passenger carrying lines would win an award for the amount of vegetation in the four foot and where the cess should be. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Agree 2

Just now, Chris116 said:

These days many sections of passenger carrying line would win an award for the amount of vegetation in the four foot and where the cess should be. 

And not just in the UK...Have a look at some of the shots on here:- https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.com/

The first few views are of Basle/Bale (Switzerland), where the grass is at least neatly trimmed. Later, however, there are some photos of Hazebrouck, a busy station at the intersection of the Calais- Lille and Dunkerque- Arras lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wellyboots said:

Looking at the turnout I see a nicely made piece of trackwork, it does lack some finer details but does look like a real turnout, but it is being viewed out of context as it is not installed on a layout. It's not how an individual component looks in isolation as many layouts on this forum use track that, out of the box, might be described as unimpressive, but once on the layout and with a little bit of work can be made to look very good. The turnout in question installed on a layout, ballasted, weathered, and given the scenic treatment as shown in Ernie's picture above, certainly has the potential to make a very impressive model.

Martin

I totally agree with you, firstly it looks extremely well made, if you compare the geometrical look it wins hands down. The main fine detail which is missing are the track fixings (a common occurrence with copperclad construction) which could be easily be added by the buyer either by cutting down Bambi staples or adding slices of plastic L section. Or using other commercially made items. Not knowing whether the prototype used spikes or fixings its difficult to go further

Once ballasted and from a distance I guess this turnout will look far better than many RTR products

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

These days many sections of passenger carrying lines would win an award for the amount of vegetation in the four foot and where the cess should be. 

Indeed this is the case....Westbury and Leicester...

Red at WB.jpg

Red plants.jpg

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

"Bullhead track has been in use on British railways since the earliest times and these products provide a highly detailed and faithful replication of this long standing feature."

Not looking like that it hasn't. smile.gif

The ability of the Peco p.w. staff to grow bent timbers continues to amaze. Why do they do it? They wisely provided equalized (skewed) timbering on the turnouts, so there was no actual need for the bent end timber. If they had left it straight, and the same on these new items, everything would have lined up neatly.

One of the reasons the prototype uses equalized timbering on some turnouts is for easier alignment with diamond-crossings and slips (which are always equalized).

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 3