GNRi Weed Spraying Plant

tmcg1959

I'm a sucker for punishment.......  when I first saw Tony Miles' layout Adavoyle Junction way back in the mid 90s I was really impressed by the Weed Spraying train that ran on the line. My interest was reborn when I got a photograph of the same plant taken at Omagh General Station in 1961. I decided I would make this my first scratch building project in my new garden shed, even though I have just a couple of drawings and a few photographs. This weekend I folded the brass W-irons, added the brass bearings and glued the white metal axle boxes in position. Next task will be to cut the chassis and fix the flooring in position.

Any additional information and detail is more than welcome.

Edited by tmcg1959

Kieran, very interesting indeed. There are slight similarities in what has been done here and how this developed from the very basic GNRi weed sprayer of the past. Tonight I cut the floor and mounted the w-irons with Araldite Rapid. This gives me time to check, and double check their dimensions and positions. I hope to post the progress of this project.

IMG 0009

chasis

IMG 0014

Edited by tmcg1959
  • Like 1

One of the drawbacks with modelling Irish in 00 is the problems with overall width. Apart from track gauge, the overall width of wagon body and subsequently everything that is built on top of the wagon floor has to change too. Weedspraying tanks especially!

Tonight I cut the floor and mounted the w-irons with Araldite Rapid. This gives me time to check, and double check their dimensions and positions. I hope to post the progress of this project.

Great to see actual progress Tony, looking forward to your next posting.

I just cannot get the time these evenings after work to do much with this project but every little bit helps, and keeps me motivated.

IMG 0043

I attached the white metal brake shoes with Araldite Rapid (well actually it's the Pound Shop equivalent) and have the brake levers ready to go. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...