Bachmann Class 47 708 Waverley - Model Rail Scotland Ltd Edition Model

MRDBLUE17

Choose Life, Choose railway modelling, Choose Model Rail Scotland Ltd Edition Bachmann class 47708 Waverley.

Choose your future and visit Model Rail Scotland in 2018 at the SECC where this exclusive model can be purchased.

post-6863-0-67243100-1510097998.jpg

My thanks to Andy for allowing us to announce this Ltd Edition Model produced by Bachmann for Model Rail Scotland. Available to buy at the 2018 show at the SECC held Friday 23rd Feb to Sunday 25th Feb.

Kind regards,

Mark 

• Like 7

Guest Midland Mole

I would buy that without even stopping to think about it, but there is no way I can get to that show. I cant even get to shows near me without having to get a lift! :D

If any left over can be purchased after the show, sign me up. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Hi Tamperman/Alex,

At present the models are only available at the show. AMRSS member clubs, members are able to pre order which will take up some of the limited run.

There is a plan in place to release a limited quantity on the Model Rail Scotland website during the show. What we might be able to arrange is an announcement on here when this option is live so Modellers like you unable attend can get that opportunity and not miss out.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Yes s certain model retailer bought multiples of them and was allowed to do so. Hopefully this time they are restricting it to one per person , to allow those that genuinely want one to get one, without the profiteering

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will be at the show and hopefully secure one of these. From the pic though, the livery is wrong. 708 was infamous for being one of the first to appear in the ScotRail livery, but they had a gap between Scot & Rail, which as far as I recall, was never corrected.

Not my pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52g_sunderland/16254006330/in/photolist-9cXMgk-9N3JPx-dRYrBW-9EzQd6-QMMQSi-qSwTDh-fKMKht-9DmEx6-UnDzvp-qLj2Ns-pE1c4E-g7KPVm-9siQvQ-dKu9gu-9dzzSV-iKBz6b-dkHsz6-CFWkK4-asyAi4-n78Do4-9DmF7g-cH9HbJ-JX2A3L-QMMQHa-dTMoPo-obpRTy-eSC1dR-CsdQYb-dTG6ne-h5Qg9H-dVwdWF-dJDBuh-9sfRni-dRhQUu-kUmUet-cpKkVd-qGFepi-9fr1mz-9cdnik-jfpdEw-982ZCk-9fMV4w-dT3A8s-cZ6v2L-e73eEm-fxUrS5-dT3AcJ-B5ZFbu-dHUKtH-Egum7L

Edit: Further searches show that it was subsequently corrected. The other mistake we made (I was based at Haymarket depot) was that on one side only, the BR logo appeared after the Scotrail legend, when it should have been before ;)

Again, not my pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wilster200/14347967485/in/photolist-aVV7dt-dNEPYN-8HkAdq-eHxbti-pakUoq-dNVQPF-bSC5sv-Cvz1x7-CsdQYb-hjXGxd-jaBq72-FPsiz-nRT5RK-pE1c4E-eHDejh-9EzQd6-aVV7kn-dKu9gu-CFWkK4-aVV7he-VmzcpY-bAQrTN-gYUPHt-9v2KQZ-gLAsiU-h5Qg9H-6PBaBS-VQc8Wd-9dzzSV-9DmEx6-6qxwYU-b4NbZx-9N3JPx-9fMV4w-UnDzvp-Y3Y9kj-6Px3ra-qLj2Ns-dkHsz6-anF2fS-g7KPVm-B5ZFbu-VJkEK3-6CnTz8-kdGnhQ-SktU1u-CUohfG-StQEoQ-9mMKqx-6qobHy

Edited by Scottish-Exile

Will be at the show and hopefully secure one of these. From the pic though, the livery is wrong. 708 was infamous for being one of the first to appear in the ScotRail livery, but they had a gap between Scot & Rail, which as far as I recall, was never corrected.

Not my pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52g_sunderland/16254006330/in/photolist-9cXMgk-9N3JPx-dRYrBW-9EzQd6-QMMQSi-qSwTDh-fKMKht-9DmEx6-UnDzvp-qLj2Ns-pE1c4E-g7KPVm-9siQvQ-dKu9gu-9dzzSV-iKBz6b-dkHsz6-CFWkK4-asyAi4-n78Do4-9DmF7g-cH9HbJ-JX2A3L-QMMQHa-dTMoPo-obpRTy-eSC1dR-CsdQYb-dTG6ne-h5Qg9H-dVwdWF-dJDBuh-9sfRni-dRhQUu-kUmUet-cpKkVd-qGFepi-9fr1mz-9cdnik-jfpdEw-982ZCk-9fMV4w-dT3A8s-cZ6v2L-e73eEm-fxUrS5-dT3AcJ-B5ZFbu-dHUKtH-Egum7L

Edit: Further searches show that it was subsequently corrected. The other mistake we made (I was based at Haymarket depot) was that on one side only, the BR logo appeared after the Scotrail legend, when it should have been before ;)

Again, not my pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wilster200/14347967485/in/photolist-aVV7dt-dNEPYN-8HkAdq-eHxbti-pakUoq-dNVQPF-bSC5sv-Cvz1x7-CsdQYb-hjXGxd-jaBq72-FPsiz-nRT5RK-pE1c4E-eHDejh-9EzQd6-aVV7kn-dKu9gu-CFWkK4-aVV7he-VmzcpY-bAQrTN-gYUPHt-9v2KQZ-gLAsiU-h5Qg9H-6PBaBS-VQc8Wd-9dzzSV-9DmEx6-6qxwYU-b4NbZx-9N3JPx-9fMV4w-UnDzvp-Y3Y9kj-6Px3ra-qLj2Ns-dkHsz6-anF2fS-g7KPVm-B5ZFbu-VJkEK3-6CnTz8-kdGnhQ-SktU1u-CUohfG-StQEoQ-9mMKqx-6qobHy

Do you know if the original ScotRail brandings on 47 708 were applied with a space between the Scot and Rail and BR arrow behind on both sides   - or on just one side ?  It's also interesting, that 708 retained the early car type headlights when first painted into Scot Exec livery, although they were changed to the standard HI headlamps some time later. 

Not my pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastfield/8751937246/in/photolist-9siQvQ-nBr6LW-eknY2L-ehY8JL-hV8Rho-jPa5Hs-kdGnhQ-iKp3PG-9GVECx-ihxbDM-ihxFsY-iKncaV-ihxVtT-iKovSk-9sfRni-hUbXxQ-9GVtQR

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Do you know if the original ScotRail brandings on 47 708 were applied with a space between the Scot and Rail and BR arrow behind on both sides   - or on just one side ? 

I wouldn't want to say for sure. I've just checked on a Facebook page for Haymarket staff where we had this same discussion a while back. I'm sure there was an issue with just one side, either the positioning of the arrow, or, it could have been the whole Scotrail legend that was positioned on the same  No1 end when it should have been at opposite ends on opposite sides, if that makes sence.

What I do recall is the kerfuffle we had with Edinburgh city council regarding the Haymarket castle logo. They complained it was infringing on the city coat of arms. You can see in some of those Flickr photos that the original castle symbol was a red castle. This was later amended to the familiar white.

Not my pic, (credit to Gavin Whitelaw) and a poor scan, but this shows a 1985 view. The arrow now preceeds, but there is still a gap between Scot & Rail.

post-22167-0-11824700-1510263574_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not my pic, (credit to Gavin Whitelaw) and a poor scan, but this shows a 1985 view. The arrow now preceeds, but there is still a gap between Scot & Rail.

attachicon.gif47.jpg

This photo is the other side (No 1 end to the left) - the same side as in the photo at Gateshead - to the one with the BR arrow after ScotRail (No 2 end to the left). According to the publicity image in Post #1, the BR arrows will be positioned after ScotRail so correct for 47708.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

I've also just noticed that the colour change from grey to yellow is slightly lower on 47709 compared to 47708 (unless the headlights in the headcode panel are positioned differently).

If you look closely, on 709 the masking line between the Dk Grey and Yellow runs off/down towards the cab front, from the cab handrails forward, unlike 708 alongside, it's not in-line with main body lining, hence the colour join over the marker lamps is slightly lower on 709.

Edited by tractor_37260

This photo is the other side (No 1 end to the left) - the same side as in the photo at Gateshead - to the one with the BR arrow after ScotRail (No 2 end to the left). According to the publicity image in Post #1, the BR arrows will be positioned after ScotRail so correct for 47708.

Looking at 47 708 side on with No 2 end at the left -  the branding has the arrow applied behind it  ie  ScotRail > then the arrow - this being non-standard  (47 711 was the same at one time) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/5547982379/in/pool-2858153@N25/

but was changed to standard some time later

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151257534@N04/36973476042/in/dateposted-public/

"        "    47 708       "         "          "   No 1 end to the left - the arrow is in front of the branding  ie  the arrow > then ScotRail as per normal.

Hopefully that's how the model will come.  Bachmann missed the matt/flat black cab window surrounds on 47 710 - will 47 708 get them ?  

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

If you look closely, on 709 the masking line between the Dk Grey and Yellow runs off/down towards the cab front, from the cab handrails forward, unlike 708 alongside, it's not in-line with main body lining, hence the colour join over the marker lamps is slightly lower on 709.

The 47/7's were painted before I arrived at the depot. I was there as Shift Technical Clerk from 88-90, at the time the depot was being prepped for the arrival of the Sprinter fleet, so I missed most of the loco action. Davie Mable was the depot painter, and hand painted the depots allocation of shunters. We got in trouble for that too ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130587299@N08/albums/72157659100728619/with/21790724059/

Hopefully that's how the model will come.  Bachmann missed the matt/flat black cab window surrounds on 47 710 - will 47 708 get them ?  

I'm torn on this one. For all that the prototype was 'wrong', I think it would jar on me seeing the mistake replicated into model form. I have Bachmann's 710 and also 461, the only non 47/7 to get the blue ScotRail livery.

My OCD will go into meltdown seeing the 'mistake' on my layout as it would be out of step with the other 2 locos  :banghead:

• Like 1

The 47/7's were painted before I arrived at the depot. I was there as Shift Technical Clerk from 88-90, at the time the depot was being prepped for the arrival of the Sprinter fleet, so I missed most of the loco action. Davie Mable was the depot painter, and hand painted the depots allocation of shunters. We got in trouble for that too ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130587299@N08/albums/72157659100728619/with/21790724059/

That's a great collection of shunter liveries, DM must have been kept very busy............... :good: . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested to see a couple of photos of the painted sample of 47708 from Bachmann. This has been with the AMRSS team for checking and I’ve recently had my hands on it for a little test run initially on Rannoch but we set Newlands Park up for some more era appropriate shots to be taken. The sample model doesn’t have the white coiled piping on one side as the production model will come. The livery with regards to the Scotrail wording is correct. It was applied incorrectly to the real thing when first painted but was corrected fairly quickly from July 85 onwards from checking photos.

Members of the Model Rail Scotland team will be on a stand at Warley this weekend selling advance tickets for the show so you can come and get your hands on the model in February at Glasgow.

Hope you like it. More will follow.

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-63568700-1511567227_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-39393500-1511567272_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-67167100-1511567403_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic. Can't wait to get my mitts on one of those. I wonder if Bachmann may also be doing a standard release 47/7 next year. Thier long awaited DBSO will be out, so I imagine there will be a healthy demand of people wanting an accompanying loco.

• RMweb Gold

That looks fantastic. Can't wait to get my mitts on one of those. I wonder if Bachmann may also be doing a standard release 47/7 next year. Thier long awaited DBSO will be out, so I imagine there will be a healthy demand of people wanting an accompanying loco.

Kernow are doing 47712 in Scotrail, unweathered also, it was on display at Warley this weekend.

(There’s also the grubby one, 47706, but that was more of its NSE days, and is more like art in dirt than a model..it looks great).

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Kernow are doing 47712 in Scotrail, unweathered also, it was on display at Warley this weekend.

(There’s also the grubby one, 47706, but that was more of its NSE days, and is more like art in dirt than a model..it looks great).

So we have the AMRSS  47708 & Kernow 47712 to look forward to :) 

Still think Bachmann may do a standard release as there is a strong market given how much 47710 commands on eBay.

Maybe however their agreements for the 2 Ltd Editions are that they won't do their own release. Or maybe they'll do a weathered version? Either way, at least we're getting two next year minimum.

Will no doubt get 47712 from Kernow but it will be quickly changed to 711 Greyfriars Bobby, a personal favourite.

Kernow have just put this pic up on their Facebook page:

post-22167-0-48024700-1511780549_thumb.jpg