NEW to the NCiM from Hornby - Princess Coronation No.46229 Duchess of Hamilton

LocomotionatShildon

We are happy to announce an exciting new addition to the National Collection in Miniature Range.

In conjunction with Hornby we are producing LMS Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2 No.46229 'Duchess of Hamilton'.

post-9822-0-08055800-1510158063.jpg

The LMS Princess Coronations were the West Coast's equivalent of the LNER A4s, with the streamlined engines painted in striking blue and silver livery to haul the Coronation Scot service from London to Scotland.

Over time the streamlined engines in the class lost their casing to match the locos that had been built without the casing. 'Duchess of Hamilton' was constructed with streamlined casing in 1938, and lost the casing during a works overhaul in December 1947.

In conjunction with Hornby we have produced No.46229 'Duchess of Hamilton' of the National Collection. 

The locomotive is finished in BR Lined Maroon with a gloss finish. Only 250 have been produced and it is bound to be a popular model, so don't miss out on your chance to add it to your collection.

post-9822-0-41485900-1510158070.jpg

Expected delivery to our customers will be from WC 13/11/17

Click the link to order http://www.locomotionmodels.com/national-collection-in-miniature/hornbynrm-exclusive-r3594-lms-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2.htm

• Like 7

Guest Midland Mole

Well, 10/10 to everyone who said it would happen and 10/10 to Locomotion for a lovely LE model. :)

Alex

Edit: Also, I'm glad it is in that livery as It saves me having to buy yet another Duchess! :D

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic choice. Given its popularity in this livery during preservation its a no-brainer really. And great to see another one added to the stud of Gloss Finish locos.

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

Is this how the loco looks now or from a specific era please?

Late BR era mainly and during early 80s in preservation.

Currently she is in LMS Maroon streamlined form (which Hornby have already modelled 3 times in recent years).

• RMweb Gold

Late BR era mainly and during early 80s in preservation.

Currently she is in LMS Maroon streamlined form (which Hornby have already modelled 3 times in recent years).

Of course shes streamlined at the moment...doh....daft me lol

I was hoping it was 80s, more recent photos have warning flashes near the smokebox.

Im not very good at spotting differences :-)

Thanks for your reply

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very tempted, im modelling 70s and 80s br blue so think this maybe one of the few steam locos i can run for that period as a special

That's my thinking as well. I model Scotrail in the early 80's, all blue 26's & 27's.

But I have very fond memories of Duchess of Hamilton coming to Ayr in October 83 for the depot open day. So, it's just been duly ordered :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wrestling with my conscience as never spent that much on a single locomotive. Could get two diesels or a sound loco for about the same or less, but this would look rather special in gloss, something a bit different i think :-)

• RMweb Gold

Dear Deirdre

Could you help me please as I am unsure if I have a problem. I own 2 duchesses in LMS red, 1 in black, 1 in blue, 1 in green with sloping smoke box, 1 in green without sloping smoke box, 1 in br maroon and a couple of Wrenn ones. I have also had delivered yesterday Sir William, which has now replaced my wedding photo at the side of my bed!

I now crave "Hamilton ". Do I need help.

Thanks

Confused of Leicester

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is this how the loco looks now or from a specific era please?

Late 50's, very early '60's (pre electrification flashes) to be pedantic. 46229 had reduced height cab sides fitted for her post 1980 mainline career and whilst the difference is minimal in 4mm scale the Hornby model is based on 46235 which remains unmodified since BR days.

• RMweb Gold

But they should be there in this livery as they were fitted from 1959. I can't find any photo of a late crest BR Red one without them.

Jason

I've found 2 after a quick search in my book collection - 46228 at Crewe in August 1958 on page 21 of Stanier Pacifics by Derek Huntress and (slightly less clear) 46238 in August 1960 on page 250 of the recent (and very highly recommended) The Stanier Pacifics from RCTS.

• RMweb Gold

Probably a wise choice. They are easier to stick on than take off.

Looking at the photographs and there is something missing.

No warning patches.

Jason

Means a different variant for a future limited edition. It’s gloss finish too, so a Matt/satin variant could be on the cards. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that it's in that livery as a short run LE. I reckon that would sell more than 250. So if you want one, I would be quick.

I was expecting a black one with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender or LMS number.

Jason

I thought that too, but after I added it to the basket, I saw with postage it becomes £197.50... that price tag slows things better than any air, vacuum or steam brake. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I thought that too, but after I added it to the basket, I saw with postage it becomes £197.50... that price tag slows things better than any air, vacuum or steam brake.

I get it for £187.50 including postage :-)

• RMweb Gold

I just shelled out on Sir Bill......................now this and in gloss which I love, SWMBO ain't going to be impressed :nono: Must win the lottery :help:  :help:

Mike