NEW to the NCiM from Hornby - Princess Coronation No.46229 Duchess of Hamilton

LocomotionatShildon

Mine arrived late morning, cardboard box had slight crumple marks - alarm bells ringing! Outer Hornby packaging fine but clear plastic packaging shattered, loco completely dead also noticed whistle was missing so packed it back up to send back. Packaging from Locomotion very poor, just a single bit of bubble wrap so very loose in the cardboard box. Not happy! 

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today and was delivered to a neighbour who signed - although I did need to call the depot to work out which neighbour !!

Looks fab - minor damage to a handrail (sorted quick) and the tender could do with a gentle buff with a very soft cloth to remove some subtle smears. Ran fine, not run in but a quick check before finding a place in the cabinet while I make my layout. 

Never though much of gloss finish and you hear all the tales of scale colour etc, but have to say it really does look good and much more impressive than the dull matt or very soft satin looks of most models. Having the matt bits matt really helps too. 

Need to save quick to get Black 5 5000 now and I think some very gentle weathering on both will produce amazing looking models. 

Edited by Steven Draper

Mine arrived today and was delivered to a neighbour who signed

That is so annoying, both neighbours of mine are retired and would happily take delivery for me, yet the depot were insistent that they wouldnt leave my parcel with them, nor deliver to my workplace, why do people use such archaic couriers.

Given the total intransigence of the courier I cant see how Ill get my model (I cant go to depot to pick up even at weekends as have other commitments on Saturday mornings - kids football team, which I cant let down).

• RMweb Premium

That is so annoying, both neighbours of mine are retired and would happily take delivery for me, yet the depot were insistent that they wouldnt leave my parcel with them, nor deliver to my workplace, why do people use such archaic couriers.

Given the total intransigence of the courier I cant see how Ill get my model (I cant go to depot to pick up even at weekends as have other commitments on Saturday mornings - kids football team, which I cant let down).

I’d be ringing Locomotion and asking for another to be sent via a better courier service. They should be able to arrange for the other one to be returned to them.

Doubt it.

I had a card through the door from APC saying tried to deliver. Have spoken to APC to try to rearrange delivery - they will only deliver between 08.00 & 16.00 M-F, will not give a specific time for delivery, will not deliver to a neighbour as it has to be signed for, will not deliver to a different address (APC must be cheap because they certainly arent good). They suggested I go to the depot to pick up, thats miles away and why should I waste my time and petrol going to collect something I paid to be delivered. Even more annoying was the table full of models at Warley, could have got one there, be enjoying it now, and saved the £8.50 delivery charge.

Really not sure how Ill get my model now.

Not happy to say the least.

Thank-you for your comments and concerns on your delivery via APC .

All of our courier company’s APC, Royal Mail and Parcelforce have the same arranges for non-delivery planning to redeliver later or alternatively to collect from the depot.

I will pass on your concern to them, so they are aware.

I hope this has not put you off ordering from us again.

Kind regards

Simon

Mine arrived late morning, cardboard box had slight crumple marks - alarm bells ringing! Outer Hornby packaging fine but clear plastic packaging shattered, loco completely dead also noticed whistle was missing so packed it back up to send back. Packaging from Locomotion very poor, just a single bit of bubble wrap so very loose in the cardboard box. Not happy! 

We are very sorry that this has occurred, please contact us so we can arrange a replacement. Hope this has not put you off ordering with us again, and we have passed on your comments to our courier company.

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

We are very sorry that this has occurred, please contact us so we can arrange a replacement. Hope this has not put you off ordering with us again, and we have passed on your comments to our courier company.

Regards

Simon

From the description Martin has given in his post,I would be cautious about laying the blame entirely at the courier's door.If they had mishandled it,then the model's outer sleeve would be showing signs of distress.

As things are atm with disasters on delivery with Hornby,this looks uncomfortably similar to one member's experience with his 46256..i.e.a packaging related mishap at the factory. This seems to be a not infrequent occurrence.To prevent customer disappointment it would help customer relations immensely if retailers made the effort to check for this kind of situation before handing it over to the courier.It takes time but is surely worth it.

Hello Ian

.. Exhibited the usual wayward front bogie causing derailments,Quick fix applied by gentle downward pressure on holding bracket and away you go.It runs beautifully....,graceful,.smooth and silent....

Would this be the original cast metal bogie with lots of weight or the new (Sir William) bogie with less weight and a spring to apply pressure.

Thanks  Ray

Hello Paul

Mine arrived yesterday - no complaints! Straight on to the layout for running in.

An interesting picture.  The smoke deflectors look the same as on the model of Sir W (the Ivatt Engines) with a recess at footplate level.  This recess is absent on the few pictures that I have seen of the earlier Stanier engines.  Perhaps it was a later modification. Somebody will know!

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian

Would this be the original cast metal bogie with lots of weight or the new (Sir William) bogie with less weight and a spring to apply pressure.

Thanks  Ray

The new version which unless you tweak as I have posted simply isn't frankly fit for purpose. It appears to me that the bracket from which it hangs is set at the factory a fraction too high.The springing thus is negated......or is too weak in any case to stop constant derailment over baseboard joins and some pointwork rendering the model useless.

I have done this with three of the new version models with complete success.Just a slight downward pressure is all that is needed. Hope this helps.Regards,Ian.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Rang Stuart mid-morning and he was going to arranged for Parcel Force to collect the damaged Duchess tomorrow and sort out a replacement - guess what 12.30 and Parcel Force arrived to collect - great service! I just hope Duchess number two arrives in better condition............. Thanks again.

Regards,

Martin

Hello Paul

An interesting picture.  The smoke deflectors look the same as on the model of Sir W (the Ivatt Engines) with a recess at footplate level.  This recess is absent on the few pictures that I have seen of the earlier Stanier engines.  Perhaps it was a later modification. Somebody will know!

Ray

Definitely present on at least some Stanier engines- https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7560128984/in/photostream/lightbox/

I think universal on split footplate loco's but not on curved front loco's, at least from new.

Exactly this. 6230-6234 plus 6242 didn't receive the cut out until the mid to late 50s, split frame locos had them on the deflectors from installation.

Thanks Simon,

Rang Stuart mid-morning and he was going to arranged for Parcel Force to collect the damaged Duchess tomorrow and sort out a replacement - guess what 12.30 and Parcel Force arrived to collect - great service! I just hope Duchess number two arrives in better condition............. Thanks again.

Regards,

Martin

Replacement Duchess just arrived in perfect condition - great service plus much better protection in the box. Many thanks to Simon and Stuart.

• Like 1

Exactly this. 6230-6234 plus 6242 didn't receive the cut out until the mid to late 50s, split frame locos had them on the deflectors from installation.

6230-4 were the only 5 pre-war non-streamliners, built with curved running plates & no smoke deflectors. 6249-52 were the same but had partially streamlined tenders & ran from new in plain black.

6248 was the last streamliner built. All streamliners received smoke deflectors & stepped running plates when de-streamlined.

6253-55 had deflectors, stepped running plates & carried 1946 lined black from new.

6256 & 46257 were Ivatt's modified design, shopped out in 1946 lined black.

6242 had an eventful history.

It was de-streamlined with a stepped running plate until it was involved in the Harrow accident in 1952.

Evidence suggests that it was re-built as a hybrid of the original 46242 & 46202 Princess Anne, which was destroyed in the same collision & was itself a hybrid of 'turbomotive' 6202 & some Duchess parts.The rebuilt 46242 had a curved running plate. From what I can tell, this is the only one which ran with both stepped & curved running plates.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today and was delivered to a neighbour who signed - although I did need to call the depot to work out which neighbour !!

Same here. Automated email saying it had been delivered but there was no card left to say where. Call to the depot confirmed a name of who had signed it, but still couldn't give me the address!. Luckilly I know most of the folk on my street so was able to retrieve it. Neighbour said the delivery guy told her he would leave a card.

6230-4 were the only 5 pre-war non-streamliners, built with curved running plates & no smoke deflectors. 6249-52 were the same but had partially streamlined tenders & ran from new in plain black.

6248 was the last streamliner built. All streamliners received smoke deflectors & stepped running plates when de-streamlined.

6253-55 had deflectors, stepped running plates & carried 1946 lined black from new.

6256 & 46257 were Ivatt's modified design, shopped out in 1946 lined black.

6242 had an eventful history.

It was de-streamlined with a stepped running plate until it was involved in the Harrow accident in 1952.

Evidence suggests that it was re-built as a hybrid of the original 46242 & 46202 Princess Anne, which was destroyed in the same collision & was itself a hybrid of 'turbomotive' 6202 & some Duchess parts.The rebuilt 46242 had a curved running plate. From what I can tell, this is the only one which ran with both stepped & curved running plates.

You know Pete i completely forgot 6249-6252 when i wrote my post. Though they were the same. The deflectors on the split platform locos had the small step on the deflectors as soon as they were installed (bar 6235 which didn't have them straight away but soon had the steps/footholes) the curved platform locomotives didn't have the foothole until the mid to late 50s from the photos I've seen of the 10 curved platfromed locos.

Comet's etched deflectors for the curved platfromed locos don't have that foothole. I remember tim on here did a blog post about this and how he used the split framed deflectors to make a later BR curved platform Duchess

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/643/entry-9435-smoke-deflectors-fit-for-a-duchess/

Edited by Brocp

Things that make you smile!

24958734648_2b114cabed_c.jpg

Duchess of Hamilton

I have now had chance to examine Duchess of Hamilton. My model jumps the track in exactly the same location as Sir William.

Back to the glass plate and I can slip a piece of paper beneath the same left front driving wheel as Sir William.  Ian Hargreaves suggests bending the bogie support to give more downward pressure.  I will be applying some tape beneath the axle bearing as detailed in my Blog.

I don't know whether the bearing slots are machined or formed by casting, either way I am inclined to think that there is a basic dimensional error present.

Ray

Just a another note to say excellent customer service from Locomotion Models - first Duchess of Hamilton had some quality control issues (smoke deflector not straight, glue marks near the cab). Rang yesterday and replacement was dispatched immediately and exchanged for returning item with Parcelforce this lunchtime. So I was never without a model. Excellent service thank you.

Bruce  

Seconded Bruce!

Just a another note to say excellent customer service from Locomotion Models -  Rang yesterday and replacement was dispatched immediately and exchanged for returning item with Parcelforce this lunchtime. ....... Excellent service thank you..

Looked beneath 'her ladyship' and noticed that there wasn't a water scoop.  Emailed Locomotion to ask if they could send me the missing part.  Instead I had a telephone call and was told that a replacement model was being sent out together with an address label to return the first.  The replacement arrived this morning - less than 24 hours later.  Truly excellent service.

Before you ask - yes I have placed it on my plate glass.  For practical purposes all the wheels sit in contact with the glass.  It even runs quite nicely.

Ray

25000840028_a4b3820575_c.jpg

Duchess of Hamilton I - spot the missing water scoop

25000838648_f66704aa76_c.jpg

Duchess of Hamilton II

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally had the chance to run my DoH model tonight. Oh dear, at low speed, just above crawl, it halts and the main driving wheels just spin without the loco moving. With a bit more power the loco moves as you would expect. Happened a few times both forward and reverse so obviously I've stopped running it for fear of doing true damage.

Any idea what this could be?. Is it an easy fix and what should I be looking for? (I know nothing about steam locos) or is it a return to Locomotion affair. The loco was purchased purely to be a display item as I'm a diesel/modern image modeller. That however is besides the point as I do expect it to be working properly.

I have fond memories of seeing this loco at Ayr depot open day in 1983, and as such, it's my 'favourite' steam loco and so creeped into my collection.