NEW to the NCiM from Hornby - Princess Coronation No.46229 Duchess of Hamilton

LocomotionatShildon

Hello

Not good news.  Have you tried my latest plan for all Hornby locomotives - place it on glass sheet and see how many wheels are touching the surface?

If there is any doubt I would be speaking to Locomotion.

.., it halts and the main driving wheels just spin without the loco moving. With a bit more power the loco moves as you would expect. Happened a few times both forward and reverse so obviously I've stopped running it for fear of doing true damage...

It might just be that the whole engine is being propped up by the front bogie where the support is not bent correctly.  This is an easy fix (according to Ian Hargreaves) - there is a single screw to remove the fixing bracket which can then be manipulated to a more desirable shape.

I shall wait to hear how you get on.

Ray
26944287629_1e5e396cbd_c.jpg
Spot the spring

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Not good news.  Have you tried my latest plan for all Hornby locomotives - place it on glass sheet and see how many wheels are touching the surface?

It might just be that the whole engine is being propped up by the front bogie where the support is not bent correctly.  This is an easy fix (according to Ian Hargreaves) - there is a single screw to remove the fixing bracket which can then be manipulated to a more desirable shape.

I shall await to hear how you get on.

Ray

26944287629_1e5e396cbd_c.jpg

Spot the spring

I had a new Brit - 'Earl Haig' last year with exactly the same issue and all . that was required was removal of that spring. I seem to recall that the spring, whilst in the Hornby diagram for the Brit seems to be a random fitting - some have it, some haven't. Certainly mine has been fine, better in fact, since its removal.

• Like 1

My 46229 arrived here in NZ today well-packed and appears excellent in every respect with admittedly only short test-track testing.  Pictures in the Hornby Duchess thread(s).

Maybe I'm too fussy but I have bought four new-tooling Duchess, one was faulty like Andy Y's SWS... it was an SWS too, full refund given by Rails,  the others seem excellent but sound to me a fraction noisier than the old tooling models.  Maybe it's because I haven't run them in, but I don't recall that old tooling models were quite as audible.  Or maybe I'm hyper-sensitive after the QC issues aired here on RMweb.

Anyway they are all superb models, and in my experience Hornby models have never been perfect with wheel-set on glass plates and suchlike, it's always been a bit of a lottery, still is, and that is the result of low prices among other things like factory assembly systems, I am full of admiration for the assembly workers. Even the logistics of machining the parts before assembly, painting finished models, well, I think it is a marvellous achievement by Hornby to get so many good models to market at under UKP200 rrp.

Oh, and the paint in real life looks better than in my photos!    :)

post-7929-0-52930600-1513047957_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-54680800-1513047984_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you for your comments and concerns on your delivery via APC .

All of our courier company’s APC, Royal Mail and Parcelforce have the same arranges for non-delivery planning to redeliver later or alternatively to collect from the depot.

I will pass on your concern to them, so they are aware.

I hope this has not put you off ordering from us again.

Kind regards

Simon

Well its now 20th December and I STILL HAVENT HAD DELIVERY.

Utterly ridculous.

APC said they would return the parcel to Locomotion on 7th December, yet yesterday they have contacted me to see where/when I want it delivered to, they are an inept shambles of a company. Had they told me on the 7th they could deliver to another address then I could have arranged a delivery to work, now with the the Christmas shutdown looming that option is off the cards.

Locomotion agreed a few weeks ago that APC could deliver to a neighbour, guess what - APC tried to deliver to me but didnt try the neighbours, and then said they had made too many failed deliveries and would now return the parcel to Locomotion. Yet they havent returned to Locomotion.

All through this thread neighbours are taking delivery, but APC are inconsistent in their policies. All the depot advised that as they could only deliver to me and could not specify a time between 08.00 & 16.00 was for me to take a day off work to recieve the parcel. Its 2017, we are in the age of online shopping, who takes a days leave to have a parcel delivered.

Poor service all round. Locomotion should have dealt with the courier and dispatched a replacement to me as soon as APC couldnt deliver.

Well its now 20th December and I STILL HAVENT HAD DELIVERY.

Utterly ridculous.

APC said they would return the parcel to Locomotion on 7th December, yet yesterday they have contacted me to see where/when I want it delivered to, they are an inept shambles of a company. Had they told me on the 7th they could deliver to another address then I could have arranged a delivery to work, now with the the Christmas shutdown looming that option is off the cards.

Locomotion agreed a few weeks ago that APC could deliver to a neighbour, guess what - APC tried to deliver to me but didnt try the neighbours, and then said they had made too many failed deliveries and would now return the parcel to Locomotion. Yet they havent returned to Locomotion.

All through this thread neighbours are taking delivery, but APC are inconsistent in their policies. All the depot advised that as they could only deliver to me and could not specify a time between 08.00 & 16.00 was for me to take a day off work to recieve the parcel. Its 2017, we are in the age of online shopping, who takes a days leave to have a parcel delivered.

Poor service all round. Locomotion should have dealt with the courier and dispatched a replacement to me as soon as APC couldnt deliver.

Thank-you for posting your views on APC and the concerning issues. I appreciate this can be upsetting.

The logistic provider has been working has worked with our customer addressing individual problems with some success, however on this isolated incident there are some issues.

Due to the high value of the models APC are required to deliver to the recipient with a signature or at the depot. Failing that, arrangements can be made via a neighbour signature who in some cases can also can be out.

As we do not know your customer name can you kindly contact us tomorrow on our telephone so we can discuss the matter further and help resolve the issue further. - 01904 685780.

We are keen to pass on your comments to APC and look for improvement for future model deliveries.

Regards Simon

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not good news. 

I shall wait to hear how you get on.

Ray

I spoke to Locomotion (Stuart) who was excellent. In the event they organised a full exchange for a replacement DoH for me. The replacement model is faultless and I'm delighted with it.

• RMweb Gold

Are these all sold out now?

Yes.

The only two still knocking about is Duchess of Atholl, but that’s starting to disappear. There’s also the Black Duchess of Hamilton from Rails.

Next up is 46235 City of Birmingham, then until at least the 2019 catalog comes along, it kinda looks like that’s your lot.

Edited by adb968008

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all,

Anyone attending Model Rail Scotland who is / was hoping to find a 46229, get yourself in there first thing on the first morning as Locomotion will have a few returns and a failed pre-order for sale on their stand. Although there is one less as I've just managed to bag one last minute before they packed thier van and left for Glasgow.

Cheers,

• Like 1