Using Deluxe Materials Aqua Magic at baseboard edge

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a patent method for blocking off the edge, where a stretch of water comes to the end of the baseboard?

I have a small stream that starts next to my loco shed and opens into a pond that lies along the front edge of the baseboard. I have used Aqua Magic to fill it and it looks pretty good, but I have struggled to get a clean line at the board edge.

I decided to wrap a length of mount board in cling film and then I staple gunned the board to the front of the baseboard; I then sealed the bottom edge of the join with Maskol and this arrangement certainly ensured I had no leaks!

Over a period of about 2 weeks I added 3 or 4 layers of Aqua Magic and once it was all completely solid I removed the staples and mount board, however the Aqua Magic had stuck to the cling film and pulled it inwards, away from the mount board in places.

Although I have cut it free with a scalpel, the edge of the water is not as neat against the board edge as I would like - see pictures:

post-14629-0-02808000-1510248052_thumb.jpg

post-14629-0-83412800-1510248076_thumb.jpg

I have another similar area of water elsewhere on the layout to deal with, and so any suggestions as to how I might better seal the edge would be appreciated.

Tony

One way to do this is by using a very clean piece of sheet metal or perspex screwed tightly to the board edge but coat the face of the sheet with Vaseline or a similar grease , this acts as a release agent to the hardened resin and makes the sheet easy to remove once unscrewed.

The point of screwing the sheet tight is to give a clean straight edge .

We used this method on a friend's old layout and it worked very well.

Hope this helps.