Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Steam Loco in "Murder on the Orient Express"

It seems the loco used in this film is dumped round the back of an industrial estate in Stoke on Trent. I've not managed to find out which one though. I got shown a picture, but the guy wouldn't say which one it was. A Est Railway Mountain is rather a large thing to hide!

Don't want to get too off topic, but I generally appreciate realism in movies.

I understand that our Canadian TV show, Murdoch Mysteries, is quite popular in the UK. It takes place in Toronto and southern Ontario (Canada) in the early 1900s. It's generally quite historically accurate, but in one episode, the main characters took a late BR British steam engine (a Black 5 I think) with BR maroon coaches, to Algonquin Park! There was a similar glitch in another episode. My son & I cringed when we saw this! :-)

I quite enjoy Murdoch but I find it pays not to have the old critical faculties turned up too high.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Look at the spec and I’ll think you’ll find it’s much more aligned to Dapol Black Label

It's good, but it's not Carling.

It seems the loco used in this film is dumped round the back of an industrial estate in Stoke on Trent. I've not managed to find out which one though. I got shown a picture, but the guy wouldn't say which one it was. A Est Railway Mountain is rather a large thing to hide!

Here's how they built it

Edited by Horsetan

It's a real loco alright!

It's an Est Railway (France) 2-4-1A mountain: http://www.voisin.ch/vvt/materiel/autres/241-a-65_e.html

Trix do a (rather expensive) model of it: http://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/22941-sncf-241-a-65-dcc-sound-49441-p.asp

Probably also available from Reyaulds in the USA too.

Cheers,

John.

Hi all,

I know this is a little nit picky, But the engine is a 4-8-2, not a 2-4-1, But as stated that is a mountain class wheel arrangement.

It's a 241 in the French classification system. Like UIC, that counts axles rather than wheels. But, like Whyte, uses numbers for driving wheels rather than letters.

The 'A' on the end is a class indicator.