Sentinel Diesel Hydraulics in Scotland

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I have just been given, as an early birthday present, a Hornby Sentinel of the kind found at Dalmellington in Ayrshire.  What I am now curious about is whether there were more of the type in use in Scotland.  I know there was at least one other alongside the one I have as there's a picture showing both on-shed.  That said, I can only guess at the livery (black?  markings?).

So, can anyone tell me if they know of any other Diesel Hydraulic Sentinels in Scotland, and especially where I may find pictures of them?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Whifflet - d'oh!  I've only been near that site on one or two occasions; the first time, there was a small yellow diesel right and the side of the street (at the end of what looked a bit like a run-round).  It never occured to me that may have been a Sentinel.

Many thanks for the link - it also led to lots of shots of 'Robin' and 'Denis', teo locos I saw many years aog.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

Found another one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/9989389136

The one on the left, of which I have seen a number of images, is clearly blue, but is the one on the right 'black'?  I've tried searching for other images of her but with no luck yet.  Anyone else able to point me to an image (so I can an idea of markings)?

The reason behind this is that I now have three Hornby Sentinels, two of which could be regarded as 'spare'; one is a chain drive while the other has outside cranks.  Looking to relivery them, preferably into Scottish based locos.

Again, many thanks for all your encouraging help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

post-601-0-41263300-1510832000.jpg

Hope you don't mind the slight wandering OT, but I thought this picture taken at Andrew Barclays, Kilmarnock in August 1981 may be of interest.

The locos came from BSC Teesside and I believe that one or two were refurbished but most were scrapped.

Douglas

• Like 1

attachicon.gif81.1631.jpg

Hope you don't mind the slight wandering OT, but I thought this picture taken at Andrew Barclays, Kilmarnock in August 1981 may be of interest.

The locos came from BSC Teesside and I believe that one or two were refurbished but most were scrapped.

Douglas

Douglas

Do you have a better photo of 104 as it appears to be in the Dorman livery of green as it would make an ideal livery to change the Tarmac one to?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

having a look further through some of my pictures and some 4 wheelers have the cross walk, with a shorter fuel tank 

Preston dock

Whilst others have a longer fuel tank and consequently no cross walk

OIC 

Seems I was wrong on this one, searching through all my photos I did find one more 4wh with a cross walkway apart from the Preston docks example but there can't have been very many. My suggestion of a wider platform was a misinterpretation of the photo and anyway I should have noted the buffer beam shape which is of a chain drive loco.

• RMweb Premium

Douglas

Do you have a better photo of 104 as it appears to be in the Dorman livery of green as it would make an ideal livery to change the Tarmac one to?

Mark Saunders

Sorry Mark, it's the only photo I took that day as we were a bit rushed.

Douglas

Seems I was wrong on this one, searching through all my photos I did find one more 4wh with a cross walkway apart from the Preston docks example but there can't have been very many. My suggestion of a wider platform was a misinterpretation of the photo and anyway I should have noted the buffer beam shape which is of a chain drive loco.

I don't think there were many. Interestingly the next one off the production line after the Preston Dock ones went to the nearby Courtaulds works and that too has the walkway, maybe it was a batch they did.

http://martynhilbert.railpic.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1506