December 2017 Issue

Scottish-Exile

• RMweb Premium

I get the Hornby magazine on subscription. Always arrives on time, 2nd Wednesday of the month, the day before it hits the shops.

I've not received the December issue yet, which should have been here on Wednesday.

Anyone else (UK Address) awaiting their subscription copy?

Magazine arrived this morning, so that's today taken care of. Feet up, coffee to hand and enjoy the read.

I am  retired, but  never  get  any  time  to  put my feet up!  Cannot  understand  it,

BTW,   Mr News  Newsagent   next   to Sainsbury  local  Mercia  Drive  Mynydd Isa  has  good  selection of  Mags

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BTW,   Mr News  Newsagent   next   to Sainsbury  local  Mercia  Drive  Mynydd Isa  has  good  selection of  Mags

Yup, Deborah my partner lives just around the corner on Mold rd, so I'm in there most days posting off my ebay sales etc. Was talking to the chap and he's a keen modeller / rail enthusiast himself hence the large selection of railway mags.

Yup, Deborah my partner lives just around the corner on Mold rd, so I'm in there most days posting off my ebay sales etc. Was talking to the chap and he's a keen modeller / rail enthusiast himself hence the large selection of railway mags.

You  have  met  Nigel then!

• RMweb Premium

I've sometimes wondered thatHornby magazine gets so little coverage here. The last issue commented on was August's edition - 4 months ago! Some of the other magazines provide a monthly update on RMweb.

Is anyone able to tell us what the content of December's edition is?

John Storey

I've sometimes wondered thatHornby magazine gets so little coverage here. The last issue commented on was August's edition - 4 months ago! Some of the other magazines provide a monthly update on RMweb.

Is anyone able to tell us what the content of December's edition is?

John Storey

I don't think that Hornby Magazine has any presence here like Model Rail and some of the other magazines has.

Personally I only buy it if there is something of interest in it. Some issues are excellent whilst others are pretty average.

It might be worth setting up an email alert as I get the contents sent to my Inbox. So if there is an interesting issue then I order it post free from the website.

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/11/09/december-issue-out-now/

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7217

WORKBENCH

Tim Shackleton takes his modelling tools to Hornby’s ‘OO’ GWR ‘14XX’ 0-4- 2T and Autocoach, adding detail and transforming their appearance in the process.

BACK TO BASICS

Nigel Burkin shows you how to achieve realistic looking brickwork, using simple techniques and a palette of differing paint shades.

DIGITAL SOUND

With the recent arrival of Kernow Model Rail Centre’s ‘OO’ gauge BR Southern Region 4-TC multiple unit, Mike Wild installs a new twin decoder Loksound digital sound project from Legomanbiffo to create the ultimate Class 33/1 and 4-TC pairing.

FIRST REVIEWS

EXCLUSIVE: Hornby ‘OO’ SECR ‘H’ Class 0-4-4T

OO Works LSWR ‘D15’ 4-4-0 for ‘OO’

Dapol ‘O’ gauge LMS ‘Jinty’ 0-6-0T

Dapol GWR Autocoach in ‘O’ gauge

INSIDE

EDITORIAL

Mike Wild introduces the latest issue.

UPDATE

All the latest news from behind-the-scenes at Hornby HQ, plus Bachmann reveals decorated samples of its forthcoming ‘OO9’ models, Dapol reactivates it’s ‘N’ gauge Class 50, we preview the annual Warley National Model Railway Exhibition and much more. Plus, you could win one of five prizes in our £1,000 model giveaway.

APPLETON JUNCTION

Peter Brackenbury and friends showcase their fictional ‘OO’ gauge take on the East Coast Main Line, set close to York, during the 1950s and 1960s transition period.

EQUIPMENT GUIDE

Static grass fibres can make such a difference to scenery in all scales. Mike Wild presents five of the best products in our latest Equipment Guide.

GREAT ELECTRIC TRAIN SHOW 2017

Hornby Magazine presents pictorial highlights of this year’s Great Electric Train Show at the British Motor Museum in Warwickshire on October 7/8.

Hornby POST

Your views, observations and responses from the Hornby Magazine postbag.

A NOD TO BRENT

Family recollections of spotting days in South Devon inspired Robin Sweet to embark on his ‘OO’ gauge garage-based layout, set in the final years of GWR operation.

REALITY CHECK

Designed by the South Eastern and Chatham Railway for suburban use, the compact ‘H’ 0-4-4T proved a versatile and powerful prototype, as Evan Green-Hughes discovers.

HORSEBLOCK LANE

At just 4ft 6in x 11in, Neal Cooper’s contemporary era layout demonstrates just what can be achieved in a small space in ‘N’ gauge.

RAILWAY REALISM

Evan Green Hughes looks back at the practice of push-pull operation on Britain’s railways.

STAFF PROJECTS

Hornby Magazine’s ‘OO’ gauge BR Southern Region layout, Twelve Trees Junction, debuted its new format at the Great Electric Train Show in October, but as Mike Wild explains, there’s much more to come.

SHOWCASE

We showcase your model railway projects and imagery.

SHOW GUIDE

Hornby Magazine’s comprehensive guide to forthcoming events.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Personally I only buy it if there is something of interest in it. Some issues are excellent whilst others are pretty average.

I tried most of the mags when I took up railway modelling in 2015. Liked Hornby Mag the best and took out a 2 year subscription. This expires in a couple of months and I probably won't renew. Nothing wrong with the mag, that I still enjoy, it's just that for news, features, new releases and even layouts, you can see/read about them on RMWeb first, before the mag appears.

I ocassionally pick up BRM which I rate and the odd issue of Model Rail just for something different. The only mag I've never really taken to is Railway Modeller, which is strange as my Dad had that on subscription for years.

Once in a while Hornby Mag really hits the spot.  For me it does it twice this time.  Those who read what Model Rail did to ANTB are respectfully directed to HM where Rob's own words give a much fuller picture of the layout and its components.  Count this as another vote against staff writers talking to modellers and missing bits out.  

Recruiting Tim Shackleton as a contributor was a wise move by HM.  This issue he gives the venerable Airfix/Hornby auto trailer a good going-over, using the equally venerable Dart Castings detailing kit and some good honest modelling to produce an A28 and an A30.  This is MRJ territory!  It is salutary that Messrs Clark and Jolly did the job in issue 9, a long time ago, and did not then have the Dart Castings kit to help them.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

If you are into DCC then Hornby Mag is probably more for you, they seem enfatuated with it. You also get more articles on fitting sound etc in this magazine . I think there is a demand there and they are catering for it. For me it’s a major turn off, however . I usually browse and see if anything’s of interest. It’s in one of those dratted bags this month but still bought it for “a nod to Brent” good article .

They are full of self promotion, constant references to the Great Electric Trainshow , for instance .

The mag , although not being owned by Hornby, clearly set up close ties with them last year, so you now have some interaction between the Hornby forum and the mag. You tend also to get pictures and news about Hornby here first.

I think in general the mag gives a very positive view on the hobby, but I do find it overly gushy , seldom finding anything wrong and completely failing to address major issues such as pricing, availability of supply and QC . That’s not unusual as most model railway mags skim over issues . I still find the good old Railway Modeller with its “talking points” and “comment” sections actually to be the best in this respect.

Overall it’s horses for courses. Have a browse see if you like and buy. Like others , though , I use internet for news and reviews . You get the consumers point of view that way . Similarly I’m looking more at layouts on YouTube , so I am really cutting back on magazine purchases these days ,not just Model Railways but warships and aviation . Actually I find I’m buying less books too

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I rarely buy mags these days (except MJR, which I'd class as an instruction manual for world class railway modelling) this month being the exception because of HM's inclusion of A Nod to Brent with, as others have said, the words of its creator used in the text.

If you don't follow it on the forum, I suggest you take a peak.

Even if it is ##R based!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Jason for your post at 9 - that is just the post I'd have expected Hornby Magazine to put up themselves on here. It is odd they don't have an RMweb presence like other magazines - after all RMweb reaches many of us modellers, and it doesn't cost anything to post an entry!

John S

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Jason for your post at 9 - that is just the post I'd have expected Hornby Magazine to put up themselves on here. It is odd they don't have an RMweb presence like other magazines - after all RMweb reaches many of us modellers, and it doesn't cost anything to post an entry!

John S

I don’t think Railway Modeller posts on here , it’s only fellow readers that post information. Actually aside from Warner’s who own this forum and BRM I think it’s only Chris Lee that’s posts updates about Model Rail

Once in a while Hornby Mag really hits the spot.  For me it does it twice this time.  Those who read what Model Rail did to ANTB are respectfully directed to HM where Rob's own words give a much fuller picture of the layout and its components.  Count this as another vote against staff writers talking to modellers and missing bits out.  

Recruiting Tim Shackleton as a contributor was a wise move by HM.  This issue he gives the venerable Airfix/Hornby auto trailer a good going-over, using the equally venerable Dart Castings detailing kit and some good honest modelling to produce an A28 and an A30.  This is MRJ territory!  It is salutary that Messrs Clark and Jolly did the job in issue 9, a long time ago, and did not then have the Dart Castings kit to help them.

Chris 

MRJ issue 9 was 1986..

There is also some more Autocoah info in MRJ No. 17 (1987)

Edited by Sarahagain