Accurascale

Designing for gauges other than OO is a huge step forward. I suppose it's logical for a manufacturer based in a country where OO gauge is 13½" under scale, rather than the 7" different we have. I wonder if it will have any effect on manufacturers based outside of Ireland.

• Like 4

...The assumption that progress in quality and fidelity is positive and continuous has proved flawed in recent, bountiful, years, because the rush to market, particularly by some new players and projects, has fairly regularly resulted in a falling off, particularly regarding accuracy, and particularly where inaccuracy was not a necessary technical compromise but a result of uncorrected mistakes and, ultimately, not caring enough to get it right. What has concerned me most has been the often complacent response to this by hobbyists and less-than-exacting reviewers...

Actually, the situation is yet worse, and has been going on since shortly after we got the 'better' product from China. Some significant improvements in mechanism design and construction standards seen early on, have been abandoned on later introductions: usually without getting any notice in the first place!

The problem is that the OO hobby base is pretty much non-technical. All the techie types using 4mm long ago went off to do EM/P4 and barely take notice of RTR, is my favoured explanation, other interpretations are possible.

Not to be too pessimistic, the standards overall in OO RTR are better than ever, but could have been higher yet had the occasional retreats been avoided. To this end, the arrival of new entrants intent on pushing standards up is very welcome.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks back I alluded to a simple short survey to hear your views and what you would like to see come from a manufacturer such as ourselves. We want to hear from you about locomotives, rolling stock and accessories would you like to see? What are your feelings on gauge and finescale modelling?

Hopefully this will give the RMWeb mods a break from froth and wishlisting! Complete our survey and you will be in with a chance of winning one of our first models as a prize! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/accurscale-survey

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hello Fran

Many thanks for this - I have submitted my entry.

Can I suggest something if you run the survey again? Consider...

1. Splitting Locos up into Steam and Non-steam

2. Coaches into Passenger-carrying and Non-passenger-carrying

3. Wagons into Freight and General Railway Service.

Thanks for listening.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Fran

Many thanks for this - I have submitted my entry.

Can I suggest something if you run the survey again? Consider...

1. Splitting Locos up into Steam and Non-steam

2. Coaches into Passenger-carrying and Non-passenger-carrying

3. Wagons into Freight and General Railway Service.

Thanks for listening.

Brian

Thanks for the feedback, Brian! Will keep it in mind for future reference! 

• RMweb Gold

I only got one choice on each question, but needed to tick several boxes on each, so I gave up.

Sorry about that John, I guess just go for one of the options you like? There is only a couple which involve box ticking, the suggestions are mostly boxes you type into. 

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks back I alluded to a simple short survey to hear your views and what you would like to see come from a manufacturer such as ourselves. We want to hear from you about locomotives, rolling stock and accessories would you like to see? What are your feelings on gauge and finescale modelling?

Hopefully this will give the RMWeb mods a break from froth and wishlisting! Complete our survey and you will be in with a chance of winning one of our first models as a prize! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/accurscale-survey

Thanks,

Fran

Brilliant idea, though you made a couple of assumptions (a) that I'd know what an EMU or DMU was, and, (b) that I'd care! 

post-25673-0-87080900-1512757231.png

One specific question about which emu/dmu you prefer? Can I make a wild stab at what you're considering producing?

I wouldn't make a wild stab at it, it looks bloody vicious to me.

Michael Parkinson still gets flash-backs, apparently.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the feedback, Brian! Will keep it in mind for future reference! 

Thanks for listening, Fran.

I based my comments on the fact that DMUs/EMUs were separate headings whereas - arguably to be in context with the 'compaction' of Locos, Coaches and Wagons

- they should be combined.

By splitting up, you get nine extra suggestions with much more focus. Over the years, The Poll Team has tested out many ways of getting such data from itself and we found that restricting it too far didn't serve any real purpose. However, I fully understand that you are looking at matters from a slightly different perspective and hope it achieves your aims - if contributors play the game in the spirit it is intended, I'm sure you will get some useful results.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Whats all this moaning about the survey?

Done, easily and quickly.

Because it doesn't mention items that require coal to be burnt to boil water to make it move.................................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't going to bother, but something made me have a look and there is mention of N Gauge and so I filled it in. A simple process.

Can I suggest, if you are serious about N gauge, it might be an idea to clarify that the survey isn't just for OO gauge? Just a thought.