Prodigy WiFi - Smartphone and Tablet throttles.

I don't know how I missed this and I can't find any previous mention of it on the forum.

Use WiThrottle or Engine Driver on a smartphone or tablet, to add extra throttles to the Prodigy Advance2, Prodigy Express2 or Prodigy Elite systems.

No need for any computer software running (i.e. JMRI)

No need for an internet connection

No need to connect to a WiFi network (e.g. home network)

No need for a separate router.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/0001530.htm.  (a couple of videos on this link)

http://www.modelrectifier.com/category-s/332.htm

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

It is illustrative of the way things will go - Digitrax have something very similar also using WiThrottle/EngineDriver.    Various European makers have their own equivalents. 

For those who don't like touch screens, it is now possible (though still a bit "beta-testing") to use small physical-button game-controllers which talk Bluetooth to an Android phone running EngineDriver.  That gives physical buttons in the hand, and only carrying a cheap (sub £10) device around at risk of dropping.  The phone be stood safely in a holder where it can be viewed and prodded if needed. 

As to why its not been mentioned, possibly the lack of CE markings are a factor as it won't currently be certified for UK/Europe.   Whilst the WiFi frequencies will be the same, the lack of paperwork would, technically, make it not legal in the UK/Europe.    I'd hope that Gaugemaster will be arranging a certified version.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Seems a good and simple piece of kit, and especially that it works with any system, a dedicated wi-fi router I presume. The price point would seriously dent sales of their dedicated wi-fi systems and handsets, but maybe they are already suffering this way against the likes of the Z21 etc. Don't know how long it's been around but that it is out of stock would seem to indicate that either it's newish with only a few units produced to test the waters, or it's already proving quite popular.

Looking at the info it seems that it might not have the full range of functions that a 'normal' wired/wireless handset has but if it's only for throttle use that doesn't matter much. I have played with engine driver on my Sprog/JMRI as a throttle. Very interesting.

edit: Just wondering if this is meant to replace the wi-fi conversion that I bought for my PA2 and will work with the MRC Prodigy wi-fi handsets as well as phones/tablets?

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

• RMweb Gold

A quick search on line reveals a price at  https://tonystrains.com/product/mrc-0001530-prodigy-wifi-module/ of $85 plus postage which makes it cheaper than a new (or replacement) Guagemaster handset. Given my handset is several years old and showing signs of failing, this is of interest. I am assuming that the wi fi module should work with Guagemaster products given that it is simply re-badged MRC equipment. Does anyone know different? 

Interesting...

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a heads up to say Hattons are now selling these at, currently, £84. Gaugemaster are listing these as DCC05 @ £99.95. Whatever the price, for anyone with a tablet/phone this is quite considerably cheaper than a 'proper' PA2 wi-fi set-up - whether using the dedicated or converted base station (I have the latter). From the brief info given I gather it can't perform everything a normal handest can, but it still seems well worth having.

Izzy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I purchased one on Monday, as yet still in the box as but I’ll post a update when I have tested with my iPhone

I’ve used WiThrottle before with a NCE/Raspberry Pie set up on Mud Magnets Orchard Road Layout, only last weekend at the SVR Open Weekend

Eltel

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been hoping to read what others view of this has been, anyone that's bought one as I currently using a Prodigy wi-fi handset, but sadly there hasn't been any.

What may of interest is that it is possible I have discovered to give it an individual name and a wi-fi password ( like most routers), so conflict issues with other users can be prevented. This is something that isn't possible with the current Prodigy wi-fi.

Izzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have been using a prodigy  wi-fi unit for about 6 months now. Its one of the best things I have purchased for my layout. I have it connected to an early gaugemaster prodigy unit and have had no problems. I have it working with the android software. I still have 2 handheld wired controllers operating at the same time no problem at all once you have given the wifi app controller a unique address. You can not however programme with the wi-fi unit this still needs a handheld controller.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...

We’ve been running one of these (the handheld controller and WiFi adapter) for the last 4-5 months...

first issue... you only have one socket... so it’s either handheld controller... or the WiFi. Not both...

so so I spent a few quid on eBay and bought a simple cat5 network splitter for about £5 which turns one plug in to 3 so you can run the hand held and WiFi adapter side by side...

its been running well well using WiThrottle... until today..

ive been extending our layout outside by around about 10 yards. (Surprisingly we have noted only about 1v drop at the farthest point) and whilst testing ran the Hornby railroad Tornado that we have fitted with a Hornby sound decoder.... it’s worked fine the last couple of weeks but then none of the functions would latch on the WiThrottle (but would on the hand controller) then it would suddenly not respond to the throttle leaving the loco running away on its own. The only way to regain control was to switch off the WiFi on the phone and reconnect and then return to wiThrottle. 

Anyone else had any similar issues? Just trying to fathom if it’s a Gaugemaster WiFi issue, the Hornby decoder or WiThrottle.?

all other locos functioned correctly, but.... they also lost control. 

Thoughts? 

• 1 year later...

I know I'm picking up on an old thread but can anyone whose got a Prodigy Wi-Fi module tell me whether they get any connection problems.

I got mine in July 2020 (operating with Engine Driver and Android) and it was a bit temperamental then, but for various reasons I haven't touched the layout until yesterday again and I'm just finding it 'unstable'. It can take me a dozen or more attempts to get the link to work - many times I get as far as selecting a loco and then the connection drops. 

With pretty much everybody in lockdown and having already tried to contact G'master thought I'd see if anybody else using this has issues.

I would add that when it's working it's great- the only drawback being that you can't operate Routes, but I just use two tethered handsets for that purpose which sit in cradles on the baseboard edge. 

I'm inclined to think that the module is in some way faulty, and if others say that theirs is alright I'll feel confident in getting a replacement under the 12 month Warranty. I bought it from a local shop but they haven't any others in stock so I'd probably have to wait until G'master are able to respond.

Many thanks in anticipation of someones help.

Keep Well- Keep Safe

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

John, do you have interference from other WiFi systems in your vicinity? You might be able to see this with your PC or Smartphone, where there are apps available that will show you all the WiFi networks and info like which channels they are using. Or perhaps interference from non WiFi devices broadcasting in the 2.4GHz band, which would show up as noise.

Yours, Mike.

Thanks Mike.

There are certainly a number of other users being picked up on my phone. I've had a look at the Apps to analyze bands being used but as I can't change the band on the MRC Module I'd be stuck- although I grant you it might explain why I'm having problems connecting.

Thanks for the info.

John

• Like 1

John, 

depending on your phone, you may be able to instruct it as to the priority of various WiFi access points, or whether to never attempt to reconnect to other access points.  

The problem description is consistent with a phone which keeps jumping to different access points.   

Nigel

1 hour ago, John Clitsome said:

Thanks Nigel - I'd say my phones at the budget end so may not be lucky but will look at it.

Budget isn't the issue.   Some budget phones have lots of control.   Some expensive ones are very "locked".     I use a fairly budget phone.  

Hi Nigel

Have had a good looooong look through my phones settings and done numerous searches but can't find anything that does what you referred to. I agree my phone (Motorola G8 Lite Android 10) does have lots of settings - just not the one you referred to or anything that looked like it. Spent a lot of time 'googling' (til I felt well & truly googled myself!) but still no help there. Had another go on the layout and the problem persists. I get a full strength signal for the MRC Network, others in the area are much lower so I would have thought mine would override the others anyway but thats my probably simplistic way of looking at things.

The only signal that comes close to = strength is my Home Network which is in the house - layouts at bottom of garden in shed.

Any other thoughts - seems you know what you're doing- unlike me!

Thanks John

Had a reply from Steve Todd who acknowledges a problem which several MRC users have reported. His full response was:

"I've recently had several MRC users report problems that sound similar to yours. SteveB sent me some logs and I made a change to the connect timing of EngineDriver that might help.

That change will be in the next EngineDriver Beta. I'll let you know when it's available so you can give it a try.

Do you have "AutoConnect to First WiThrottle Server?" enabled? If so, disable it and see if that helps.

How "new" is your MRC wifi? I cannot duplicate this issue on my MRC Wifi, but I have one of the first units. I wonder if something has changed."

In light of the last paragraph I've emailed MRC 'over the pond' and am awaiting their response.

Given that ED has been downloaded over 10k times there must be a significant number of people getting problems even though a number will be using through JMRI instead.

I'll keep you posted.

J

• Friendly/supportive 1

I’d be interested to hear how WiThrottle (iphone) users have found the MRC wifi units success/reliability or not maybe.

The problem on here is that you rarely hear of the success stories, it’s always the problems that get discussed.

I am a dedicated Lenz and Touchcab user, and have been for years.  I want to purchase something cheaper with a wifi ability for a much smaller layout (grandson 6).  
does the MRC DCC05 work ok with the simplerProdigy Express unit.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 250BOB said:

I’d be interested to hear how WiThrottle (iphone) users have found the MRC wifi units success/reliability or not maybe.

The problem on here is that you rarely hear of the success stories, it’s always the problems that get discussed.

I am a dedicated Lenz and Touchcab user, and have been for years.  I want to purchase something cheaper with a wifi ability for a much smaller layout (grandson 6).  

There was a Prodigy express that had the unit bundled with it, DCC06. At one time they were virtually the same price as the basic DCC01 version. Hard to find at any price at the moment as with all the MRC/Gaugemaster Prodigy equipment sadly.

Ah, Hattons have 5 in stock it seems, but at £267.50. 

Edited by Izzy
add info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, 250BOB said:

Although not using at present (due to layout rebuild), I used my Prodigy Advance 2 and wifi unit with WiThrottle with iPad and/or iPhone with no problems as have been described earlier in this thread, over about 12 months. Both devices detected other networks but didn’t drop the MRC one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 250BOB said:

As I posted last year, it can suddenly drop out leaving a loco running with no control. Yet the app itself will stop all trains when it’s changed to something other than the throttle (ie keypad or another app) which suggests to me it’s the Gaugemaster WiFi modual. My dad has also had it running on his android tablet, which although more stable, sometimes struggles with the saved functions of each loco in the roster. 

I still believe it may be the modual at fault and not the Android or Apple apps myself, but happy to be proved otherwise as I have no background knowledge in the systems, only logical common sense. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll also add that I’ve also used the WiThrottle app on the same phone using my own home WiFi back to the laptop and a sprog2 to control the running in of locos with no issues whatsoever. 
another reason for suspecting the Gaugemaster part.

Edited by andysollis1
Further text
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 250BOB said:

Question.... I know when you have a short everything stops... but what shows on the WiThrottle screen to indicate as such.

I don’t recall anything? Nor on the android version (sorry forget it’s name as I don’t personally use it, but my dad does)

andy