Prodigy WiFi - Smartphone and Tablet throttles.

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure what happens with the express, whether it has the same indication although I would presume so, but with the PA2 the base station has two green lights. One is normally lit, but with a short these flash alternatively while it cuts the power and re-tests to see if it clears. After a few cycles of this if the short persists both stay lit and it cuts the power until the short is cleared and the unit re-set. The re-set can be done in two ways. One, by switching the unit power off/on. Or by pressing the red emergency stop button on the handsets and holding it down for a few seconds. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your replies.

I wondered maybe if the background colour green where the Loco number is, perhaps turned red.????

it works like that on the TOUCHCAB app on my iPhone that I use for my Lenz operating system.

I am a great advocate of using wifi operation using my phone, but just trying to get up to speed with Gaugemaster and their WiThrottle wifi system before I purchase.

The express model may well be sufficient for my grandsons layout 8ft x 4ft, max two locos running.

20 hours ago, 250BOB said:

Thanks guys for your replies.

I wondered maybe if the background colour green where the Loco number is, perhaps turned red.????

it works like that on the TOUCHCAB app on my iPhone that I use for my Lenz operating system.

I am a great advocate of using wifi operation using my phone, but just trying to get up to speed with Gaugemaster and their WiThrottle wifi system before I purchase.

The express model may well be sufficient for my grandsons layout 8ft x 4ft, max two locos running.

Have you already bought a controller?

if not, why not look at a Sprog2 interface so you can program and drive your layout from the laptop or your phone?

and at £60 it’s much cheaper than a commercial controller.

all you need is WiFi! Decoder pro, Wii Throttle and a layout.

Edited by andysollis1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andysollis1 said:

Have you already bought a controller?

if not, why not look at a Sprog2 interface so you can program and drive your layout from the laptop or your phone?

and at £60 it’s much cheaper than a commercial controller.

all you need is WiFi! Decoder pro, Wii Throttle and a layout.

This might be of interest as an alternative:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/159601-raspberry-pi-400-for-dcc/

A slight update. Having tried to get connection through two android phones and a tablet with no success I'm rather more convinced that the problem lies with the module.

Have been able to contact Gaugemaster in UK and am sending it back to them (via Retailer due to it being within 12mnth warranty).

Will let you know how things pan out.

I did get  a response from MRC in USA - I'll keep that story back til all is resolved!

John

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks again for your interest , your comments and thoughts appreciated.

I do need to keep this as simple as possible.... the layout is built on an 8’x4’ board and ready to transport to my grandsons house.  Remember he is only 6, and I’m not there most of the time, and his mum and dad won’t have a clue.

Cheers

bob

I have today bought the DCC06 kit, an express set plus wifi unit.... new from Rails of Sheffield.

I’ll be testing it out on arrival early next week..... I use and iPhone, so it will be with WiThrottle.

If that works, I’ll try it on my wife’s Android, with Engine Driver.

I will let you all know on here how I go on.

likewise keep me informed of any progress you have too.

bob

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, John Clitsome said:

I did get  a response from MRC in USA - I'll keep that story back til all is resolved!

John

I’m intrigued already......

12 hours ago, 250BOB said:

I have today bought the DCC06 kit, an express set plus wifi unit.... new from Rails of Sheffield.

I’ll be testing it out on arrival early next week..... I use and iPhone, so it will be with WiThrottle.

If that works, I’ll try it on my wife’s Android, with Engine Driver.

I will let you all know on here how I go on.

likewise keep me informed of any progress you have too.

bob

There is a thread about it here somewhere, can’t find it at the present - typical, but with only one connection port if you want to hook up both the handset and the wi-fi module at the same time you need to obtain an Ethernet/cat5 splitter. Gaugemaster sell one, at a premium price, but an ordinary one works quite okay apparently. 

Please do share how you get on, it will be useful knowledge.

14 hours ago, 250BOB said:

Thanks again for your interest , your comments and thoughts appreciated.

I do need to keep this as simple as possible.... the layout is built on an 8’x4’ board and ready to transport to my grandsons house.  Remember he is only 6, and I’m not there most of the time, and his mum and dad won’t have a clue.

Cheers

bob

The 6 year old will have more clue that the rest of us put together! 

22 hours ago, John Clitsome said:

.....I did get  a response from MRC in USA - I'll keep that story back til all is resolved!

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I’m intrigued already...........

It sounds like MRC have divulged some information, which they've asked you to keep to yourself.

An updated version coming?

A revised new system to replace the old?

Come on John, your amongst friends here......:secret: :angel: :sungum:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It sounds like MRC have divulged some information, which they've asked you to keep to yourself.

I read a similar post on another forum about the Gaugemaster versions knob on the front packing up - I think it was down to Gaugemaster not using the same part as specified from MRC, but a cheaper equivalent to keep price down. Hopefully that’s not the case and it’s not what’s occurred with the WiFi moduals. Don’t tend to put Gaugemaster is budget when you think of the great DC controllers they’ve made.

Hi Guys

my Prodigy Express plus wifi module arrived today.  I kid you not , it was the easiest piece of DCC kit I’ve put together... and a damn sight cheaper than my Lenz kit on which I use the TOUCHCAB app, but it is faultless.

Really pleased with it... very simple and straightforward to set up and use this afternoon.... perhaps helped in a small way because I already use a wifi system.

ive used the prodigy hand held wired system at my pals previously, and although it does the job very well, I would never swap my Lenz kit.

but this wifi set up for £250 is good value and easy to set up too... perfect for the 6 yr old, who currently uses TOUCHCAB like a pro..... damn kids.

very happy.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guys, 

As you probably know the Express model only has the one outlet, so it’s either plug the wired controller OR the wifi unit.  But not both.

Can I use an RJ45 splitter in the port.??

a 1x female by 2x male unit.  I just want to know for ease of programming on a separate piece of track using the tethered Prodigy controller.  When I’m playing with the little fella, it’ll be with my phone, while he uses my old iPhone 5 that he uses with TOUCHCAB on my layout.

Edited by 250BOB
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, 250BOB said:

Guys, 

As you probably know the Express model only has the one outlet, so it’s either plug the wired controller OR the wifi unit.  But not both.

Can I use an RJ45 splitter in the port.??

a 1x female by 2x male unit.  I just want to know for ease of programming on a separate piece of track using the tethered Prodigy controller.  When I’m playing with the little fella, it’ll be with my phone, while he uses my old iPhone 5 that he uses with TOUCHCAB on my layout.

Yes, did that with my Gaugemaster as I mentioned a few posts back

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

250Bob,

See Izzy's post above.

The adapter Gaugemaster sells for this purpose.....

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/categories/model-railway-digital-control/model-railway-digital-control-dcc-other/gaugemaster-dcc77.html

Mine cost me around a 3rd of that price at £4.50

i did a bit of shopping around, if you know your cat 5 equipment, then what the model companies sell are very much inflated prices sadly for the same thing you can get off eBay or even if you wanted a facia plate version, B&Q! Just because it’s branded. Be wary.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Might be worth pointing out, for those unaware, that the RJ11/12 4/6 pin telephone sockets look very similar to the slightly larger RJ45 cat5 8 pin etherent sockets and it's obviously important not to confuse the two.  The Gaugemaster/MRC prodigy system uses the latter standard sockets so it's fairly easy to extend/change the system wiring, replace handset cables etc, if you get the correct type. As said they are cheap and easy to find in many outlets.

The danger is you can plug the smaller RJ11/12 plugs into RJ45 sockets, they are just a loose fit, but while they might just work, will mostly just damage the socket and whatever they are plugged into.

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Nothing as dramatic I'm afraid, no 'secrets' - just don't want to jeapordise what is happening with my system. Its not likely to affect anyone else.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

As said they are cheap and easy to find in many outlets

Yes, pretty well the first thing I did with my PA2 system was to replace the short handset cable with something longer. I used a standard Ethernet Cat5e patch cable and it has worked well ever since. Since I work in the computer field, I didn't even have to buy the cable since I have a whole heap of them stored in a box - but they are cheap to buy in whatever length you need.

Yours,  Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Guys

all seems to be working very well using the WiThrottle Lite app, the free download.

just wondered what extra do you get for the full app you have to pay for.

also interested if anyone is using engine driver on android.??

Hi Guys

all seems to be working very well using the WiThrottle Lite app, the free download.

just wondered what extra do you get for the full app you have to pay for.

There are many more features, around the layout of the throttle, labelling, ability to control multiple locos, plus layout control elements. 
And the satisfaction that you're made a small payment to the chap who wrote it all rather than freeloading on his work.  He's not making a fortune from a model railway app!

also interested if anyone is using engine driver on android.??

Yes, probably pushing it a fair way in my use, but with a computer in the middle, not just a basic adaptor to a DCC system. 

- Nigel 

• Thanks 1

So here's the outcome!

1. The MRC (Gaugemaster) DCC05 is not faulty.

2. Steve Todd the Engine Driver Software developer has tweaked the programme as follows (which I have successfully used in his BETA programme): 

"There is a timeout where the app stops waiting for a server to connect. The logic I used to decide it was "connected" apparently didn't work properly with some MRC devices some of the time.

So I changed that logic to a more reliable check."

I would add here that Steve is very quick to respond to any queries.

3. Gaugemaster give a 12month Warranty on the product - MRC (in America) only give 6 mnths (which I find odd), and had I needed to return it to them meant I would have been 2 days out of warranty (which they pointed out!). I didn't say anything about this before in case I did need warranty work here in the UK.

I would add that once I'd made contact with Gaugemaster Kevin & the team there have been most helpful and responsive. I've had dealings with them on several occassions over the years with both DCC & DC systems and they've never let me down.

A happy outcome!

• Like 2