Hillport Goods

sf315

Hello all

With obtaining a Dapol 08 earlier this year I have been building a couple of wagons to go with it.

It was to be the start of my 7 mm journey. I wouldn’t give up my N gauge as I enjoy it to much but this O gauge has really caught my eye. So much so that I have the boards done for a 10 foot long x 1foot Wide shunting plank layout. I have also a trackplan which is basically my micro layout Cross Heath in O gauge but for those who saw it on Hillport there is no station but another siding for the coal yard.

Since obtaining the 08 I’ve also bought a Heljan 25 and another 08. I’ve also bought some of the Parkside and Slater’s kits of wagon types for wagons in the 1970s which is when the layout is set.

I’ll post some pictures of what I’ve been up to soon.

Thanks Steve.

Edited by sf315
  • Like 2

Here’s what I’ve got planned the fiddle siding is at the far end on the right with the coal siding on the left.
This end the area on the right will be an loading platform and will hold four 10 foot wheelbase wagons. The run round has been planned to take a class 40 or a peak so big locos can feature in the future.
Thanks Steve

CC166A70-3AF0-4E4F-B705-AB04AF76A758.jpeg

post-5955-0-18049800-1510427071_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tracklaying almost complete save for a 2 foot extension ive decided to put on the fiddle yard road.

this will bring the layout length to 12 feet so much for being a small layout.

Plans are formulating for the scenery and what will go where. In all honesty most of the buildings will be low relief but should have an urban feel.

Thinking as well about the wiring, the layout will be DC and ive bought a Helmsman controller with remote control.

Have also built a couple of wagon kits.

will post photos when i take some.

thanks Steve

• Like 1

Hello all
A pic below of some of the kits that I’ve been on with that will see use on the layout
A Parkside tube open SOV
A Just like the real thing 12 ton van VVV
And a Slater’s ex LMS brake CAP.
Have enjoyed building them but must look toward starting to wire up the layout as the next job.
All that is left on these and the other stock I have already is to weather the underframes but will do this with the airbrush at a later date and will do them all.
Thanks Steve.

122CC0B2-070C-46DD-B5D8-9322F175884E.jpeg

post-5955-0-88683200-1512580134_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

My christmas prezzy to myself turned up yesterday

two Just like the real thing cement presflows and a fruit D wagon kit.

Just wait now till the 25th and see what kits the girlfreind has bought me.

(i know really as i got for her them the other week).

This will give me most of the rolling stock i need for starters but we always end up with more.

Hopefully wiring will start over the chrismas break.

thanks Steve

• Like 1

Hello Clive hope you are ok.

It was the Dapol 08 actually. With ready to run motive power becoming available and at the right price and the fact I’d always fancied a go at O gauge wagon kits. I thought now is the time. Let’s get something on the go.

It will never be anything big or vast what I have planned but something to shunt a few wagons around which is right up my street.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Clive hope you are ok.

It was the Dapol 08 actually. With ready to run motive power becoming available and at the right price and the fact I’d always fancied a go at O gauge wagon kits. I thought now is the time. Let’s get something on the go.

It will never be anything big or vast what I have planned but something to shunt a few wagons around which is right up my street.

Steve.

Hi Steve

I hope all is well with you.

That loco has caused all sorts of problems with people going off to model 0 gauge. If you can bring the same standard and interest to an 0 gauge layout as you do with you N gauge then I look forward to seeing Hillport at Lyddrail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the encouragement Clive.

The boards are only a foot wide but I have plans forming in my head scenic wise. We’ll have to see how it turns out.

Yes I think Dapol have something to answer for but when Heljan bring out an 03 It’ll convert a few more. Also the steam locos that various manufacturers are looking at will also encourage people into the scale.

Thanks Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the encouragement Clive.

The boards are only a foot wide but I have plans forming in my head scenic wise. We’ll have to see how it turns out.

Yes I think Dapol have something to answer for but when Heljan bring out an 03 It’ll convert a few more. Also the steam locos that various manufacturers are looking at will also encourage people into the scale.

Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve

I was watching Andy Peters of this forum weather his new Dapol Jinty on Saturday. These new reasonable priced 0 gauge models have made me think very carefully which direction I should take. No telling the Peters bloke. :secret:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

See the layout has grown a bit since we chatted at the Crewe exhibition.

Looking good mate, I’m still pondering but the good lady would not be pleased with yet another layout.

All been well we have been given the go ahead for a smallish new O Gauge layout at the club.

Keep the good work up

Festive Greeetings

Terry

Terry

Yes the layout has grown a little just an extra 2 foot in the fiddle siding, this is because the run round loop is longer than first thought giving me the chance to run longer trains so make the fiddle to suit.

Good that it looks like you and the club are having a go as well. It will be interesting to see what you all come up with. Hope it gets a thread on here.

Merry Christmas to you and your good lady ( sure she wouldn’t mind a bit of O gauge knocking around)

Thanks Steve

Hello all

Have been busy beavering away with the soldering iron and have got the track feeds and board jumper wires in place using my usual method of various sizes of D plug connectors to carry power across the joins.

I am going to put the layout up tommorow and she how it all runs and give the stock a run up and down over the christmas break. I like to do this at this stage as its easy to make changes and you can give your stock a run that youve been getting hold of.

Thanks Steve

• Like 3

Hello all

With testing complete I have taken the layout down so I can complete the electrical work. Point motors and isolating sections need to be put in and a control box made.

Meanwhile over the last few days I’ve been building a M and M Models C bolster kit.

I have soldered the main body components and it’s ready to have the underside trussing and supports added. I’ve also got the bogies to build.

I bought the kit at Telford this year and kept looking at it but with the rubbish weather over the Christmas break and not going out it’s given good modeling time.

Thanks and happy New Year to all

Steve

post-5955-0-95801400-1514632481_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all
Nothing done on the layout but the C bolster kit I’ve been building is almost ready for a coat of primer. I’ve the vac pipes and holders and lamp irons to fit. I’ve not fitted the buffers as the ones with the kit are cast white metal and I’d really like sprung ones. But it wont stop me priming as I fit the buffers after painting anyway and touch up around the buffers.
Thanks Steve.

3D550D82-AC6A-470D-8189-33B1DA1B5E23.jpeg

post-5955-0-92137500-1515362205_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Latest item of stock on the go is a fruit D from the JLRT stable.
A very nice kit to build. It’ll be finished in BR blue.
No work had been done on the layout as I am busy with Farmers Drove
Still it’s nice to have an item of stock on the go.
Thanks Steve

4F4FFDE8-1DE1-48C5-857E-772A318C50AC.jpeg

post-5955-0-94586700-1518970048_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all
An update for you all on what I’ve been doing with the layout.
I have now got the peices of wood cut to sizes required for the backscene and fiddle yard side peices to stop anything hopefully crushing to the floor. All this needs screwing into place. I may add a 3” section across the front of the layout to allow more scenic area at the front as again I don’t want anything crashing to the floor particularly. This will make the layout 17” wide at its widest point.
Due to the snow last weekend I had some time and started to wire up the points and one board was completed.
Over the last week or so I’ve been building 2 more items of stock when time permits and also done up an open wagon that I bought from Stafford show that needed a bit of work doing on it.
The first pic the van is a Just like the real thing kit along with the open which has had new buffers,vacuum pipes and a repaint and transfers added. In the background can be seen the point switch box above the wagons this is awaiting wires.
The second pic is the painted fruit D which needs work on the buffer beam finishing.
I have now enough wagons to have a good shunt around when I’ve finished wiring so now it’s no more wagon kits for a bit but crack on and get the wiring finished so I can have a play.

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-96050300-1520668299_thumb.jpeg

F34517FB-DB76-4D3C-838D-79C11011A8EE.jpeg

0F6B4219-B662-46E3-8E27-88B0D210F74F.jpeg

post-5955-0-90221100-1520668328_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

Wiring is now completed and will be trialed after the shelf has been fixed to the front to give me more width on the scenic side

Bought from the York show last week two Dapol rtr wagons a MCV 16 tonner and a 5 plank Hybar open wagon.

Obtained also from the show were a concrete tool store and the goods platform units with steps from Skytrex.

After testing the layout next up will be to paint the railsides think the airbrush will be out for this outside on a sunny day if we ever get one..

Thanks Steve

• Like 1