Hillport Goods

sf315

Photos

Of what Dave ?

you saw them last week

Surely no one wants to see pictures of wires and soldering.

But will take some soon as have started to put the front shelf on which will be built upto board level with polystyrene blocks this will allow the coal yard siding to be slewed across giving more scenic area.

Thanks Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all
Have spent the afternoon testing the layout and the attached photo is progress to date and shows the shelf with polystyrene blocks attached ready for shaping. The point control box is beside the 08.
With putting the extra scenic part on the front I have slewed the coal yard siding across at the buffer stop end to allow more gap between the siding and the backscene which will go there to hide the fiddle yard.
The other board has been removed and has had the track sprayed with railmatch sleeper grime as a base colour to the track weathering.
On the initial test only two point wires needed swapping over to get correct direction of operation from the control box. A couple of points were sticking and a quick squirt of WD40 sorted things.
So I now know it works as it should and I can continue with backscenes and get them screwed on.
Just noticed that all my layouts are in this shot Tanners Hill is in the background Lymebrook Yard is on end on the right and Farmers Drove is boxed up under the table that Hillport Goods is sat on.
Thanks Steve

9EC4D242-4E56-4051-B200-C6B15AD97856.jpeg

post-5955-0-40236600-1524845454_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have over the weekend been attaching the backscene boards. This has transformed how it looks. Next job is to get some more sleeper grime and spray the track on the other two boards this will give me base to start track weathering. I have some cork to glue in between the tracks to bring up the ground level to give the sunken look for the track. Contemplating then painting the sleepers in weathered wood from Precision Paints and then ballast.
Thanks Steve.

E5FC2E96-0435-42F0-BCCB-718DC9D0023E.jpeg

post-5955-0-23481400-1527505265_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 7

Thanks Carl

Yes putting them on has changed it completely. And shows what is intended. A footbridge is going to conceal the fiddle yard entrance and will also pass over the coal siding. The short siding will have a low relief goods shed with an outer loading platform.

It was checked yesterday that the backscene height isn’t too big that and that we can sit down and shunt.

The backscenes were given a coat of white yesterday.

Thanks Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been gluing cork around the edges of the track to build up the ground level to hopefully give the sunken track look.
The pic shows the coal yard siding. The rails have had a coat of Humbrol 29 further rust colours are to be applied to the rails. Not sure what to ballast it with might use tile grout or try smoothed DAS clay.
Thanks
Steve

211DCA8E-3ACF-44FD-A9EF-03E072BC5A8A.jpeg

post-5955-0-99799300-1528910630_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 2

Hello all
I have been working on the footbridge that will conceal the entrance to the fiddle yard and also cross the coalyard siding. The pic shows progress so far with all just placed in position to see how it looks.
The sides and steps are foam board with the sides covered in embossed plasticard. The polystyrene blocks have also been shaped to give me a slope at the front of the layout in the middle
Still lots to do hoping to start ballasting soon.

Thanks Steve.

54C4F159-7A8A-4550-947A-4B8D435CFA58.jpeg

post-5955-0-66940400-1529185093_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello all

Time for an update on progress.

The area at the front has been carved out and what will be a bit of a rise made the coal yard has been flattened out and will have its top surface put on. I am going to use 2mm ballast which will then be painted. This is to the left of the footbridge so not in the pic.

The rest of the layout has been ballasted using Greenscene 7mm ballast for the running line and the run round loop while the sidings have been done using 2 mm ballast again from Greenscene.

In the picture below the buildings are in there very basic state to give me ideas of what looks right where. Hoping to get some window units from Telford next month so can carry on with the Goods depot. The loading platform is Skytrex as are the two small buildings at the front. The shunters cabin will be down there as well which will be scratchbuilt based on the one that stood at Cockshute stabling point in Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-82692300-1534088034_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

I have been working on the coal office which is a LCut creative kit.

I have also used there interior kit to go with it since it will be placed at the front of the layout. . A couple of pics to show interior and how far I’ve got as yet. Exterior detailing and the roof to fit paint and weather before it can be put into place on the layout.

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-32373900-1537700499_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-85252300-1537700518_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Moving on to the other end of the layout I have made a start on the low relief goods depot this will sit on the platform on the short siding there’s a pic of it leaning up in an earlier post.

It’s made from thick plastic but will have stripwood bracing inside and stripwood covered with embossed brick plasticard to match the main walls. The window units are laser cut ones and were purchased from L Cut creative.

Have been looking forward to starting on this as it’s my first attempt at a scratchbuilt frontage in O Gauge.

The pic shows the window openings have been roughed out. Plenty of filing is the order of the day now to get the laser cut frames to fit.

Then add the buttress and and plinths.

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-42779600-1538232284_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

A how far I’ve got shot looking towards the goods depot and sidings.

A path is being put in from the footbridge steps to the edge of the board hence the white area by the loco. The depot building is coming along nicely have been waiting for some more plasticard. This came this morning.

I’ve been using the loco to check clearance on the footbridge sides as they’ve been glued down now just leaving the deck removeable.

The other buildings on the backscene are just placed there at the moment to see how it all fits in with the overall look of the layout. I haven’t got the coal yard/ fiddle Yard board connected but will take a pic of that and post a progress shot.

Thanks Steve.

post-5955-0-07036300-1538826132_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update have finished building the low relief goods depot building that will sit on the platform.

Made from plastic from a shop advertising board covered in embossed plasticard and the piers and buttress are stripwood. The window frames and doors are L Cut Creative and Poppy’s woodtech. The wall mounted telephone box is a Duncan Models casting. With the canopies from Skytrex.

Pleased with how it’s come out. Just need to paint and weather it now.

Thanks Steve.

post-5955-0-10566100-1539616584_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Now all the exhibition commitments are finished until next year I can get the O Gauge out again.

Just two pics showing how far I’ve got. For those not familiar the coal yard sits on the other side of the footbridge and has the fiddle Yard behind.

OO gauge backscenes will fillin the bits between the buildings to give a bit of forced perspective. Once the backscene is finished I can start on the foreground. I am particularly pleased with the footbridge which still has it’s coping stones to be put on.

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-32564800-1544264889_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-13179100-1544265026_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all over the last couple of days I have started with the greenery on the yard end of the layout. I’ve been working from the back to the front which has still got to be done. I am using hanging basket liner which it is turning out a rather useful product especially for O Gauge. This has been painted with Humbrol 80 green mixed with thinners to give very diluted mixture suppose it was a green wash really. The fence at the front is a couple of Buzz models kits and will look good when the vegetation is around it. The G clamps at the top are holding a batten in place which is going to run all down the back of the top of the backscene to give it some rigidity and something to lean on at shows.

The gap in the backscene building wise I am putting more details on before final fixing.

It’s hoped to give the layout a run over the Christmas break and have a shunt here and there.

Thanks and merry Christmas to all.

Steve.

post-5955-0-23665200-1545501918_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Had a good day today- went round to Steves to have a play on Hillport Goods. All I can say is that the pictures don't do the layout full justice- its a magnificent first step into O gauge! Not only that but its great fun to operate. One or two small niggling faults but shakedown sessions like today are there to point up any problems before unleashing a layout on the great wide world! The only definite booking it has so far is WrecRail 2020, but it will only be a matter of time before its out there!

Miss it at your peril!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 3

A few shots from yesterday’s running session.

A good day and thanks to Bungus for coming over and having a look and a play and get his thoughts on the layout.

The main problem was point contact as I was relying on the blade contact but I have decided that the SEEP point motors should go and replace with slow acting point motors of some sort or even servo drive. Not sure yet.

Anyway a good time was had shunting up and down and bacon and cheese on toast for dinner( no oatcakes when I went shopping Thursday)

Thanks Steve

post-5955-0-53760100-1546074947_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-18565700-1546074962_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-33014800-1546074977_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-63708000-1546074992_thumb.jpeg

post-5955-0-69965800-1546075007_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9