Hillport Goods

sf315

• 2 weeks later...

The pics above were taken at Paul Wade’s Lyddrail event over the weekend. Thanks for posting Dave

If anyone else has any that they’d like to post. 

The layout was well received and worked well. It was its first showing Lyddrail is not a show that is open to the public. It’s a group of

modelers/ friends who get together. 

Thanks  Steve

On 15/12/2017 at 22:40, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

I was watching Andy Peters of this forum weather his new Dapol Jinty on Saturday. These new reasonable priced 0 gauge models have made me think very carefully which direction I should take. No telling the Peters bloke. :secret:

Just spotted this Clive, I was obviously wasting my breath mate.

This is such a cracking Layout Steve, please keep the pics coming.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all 

ive not been able to put the layout up since Lyddrail but hopefully at the start of November I should be able to put it up in its entirety. 

I want to make some lights for the coal yard and make a light rig for when out exhibiting the layout. 

Ive been working on stock and I have also flush fronted my 25/0 along with adding crew and weathering. 

The lorry is a Radley Models kit. It’s finished in a fictitious livery but it’ll look good in the yard. 

The two brake vans are Slater’s kits and finished with tops code CAO and of course weathered. 

34C5DC5B-13D0-4D5B-A90E-163370E75648.jpeg

B46A9A8E-C401-4BEF-8C43-31D8A0E643E7.jpeg

E08FFC6D-CC5A-4C69-BD52-1E6B262C2A5C.jpeg

5303A9C4-B732-4973-81F8-29F7147BAD08.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Steve, been looking through your thread and really like the layout. I was wondering what the maximum length of train you can run and how you operate the layout, I like the track plan and have been thinking of something similar in 4mm. Have you got any shows booked for the layout?

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Hello Steve 

maximum length is just over 5ft train as that’s what the fiddle yard will hold in reality I only have about 5 wagons and a brake van if required behind a loco. 

Operation wise it’s a case of swapping the wagons over that are in the yard with the limited siding space available 5 wagons in and say 4 wagons out with shunting the brake van to the rear of the train it can easily absorb best part of half an hour. 

I have had thoughts about using a dice system for traffic type and number of wagons but as yet I put on what I fancy and have a good shunt. 

The coal yard is operated on a dedicated trip which only serves there usually behind an 08. The heating oil tanks which use the same siding run in on a trip freight to the yard and are shunted across when required. All in all it does exactly what I wanted it to do just a shunting layout for knocking a few wagons about. 

On the show front it’s only definite date so far is Trainwest in 2021. Although I am sure there will be others. 

Hillport was based on Cross Heath which near enough employed the same track plan this was featured in Railway Modeler in Jan 2018. 

Thanks Steve. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

25081 waits to depart 

its had the front end door details removed a driver added and weathered. Pleased with the result 

more pics of the layout and stock to come as I’ve got the layout set up for while. 

Thanks steve. 

A5CA9968-3203-462E-AA3E-F04A961DEF84.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of pics from a running session sees 25081 arriving with the dinner time trip from Cockshute Yard. After shunting it waits time ready for the trip back. 

Work being carried out on the layout is a lighting rig is under construction for when it’s out on its travels. Speaking of which it’s got 3 possible invites for next year but I’ll keep you posted of where and when. 

Thanks Steve

1DD0454A-15CB-4933-9D10-B34B1D9115E3.jpeg

5F9D94EC-A0D9-4803-999F-F15AB5362E46.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

From a running session today 

08737’s crew have retreated to the shutters lobby after shunting the KJO strip coil carriers ready for unloading. 

20181 and  CAO brake van waiting departure for Cockshute sidings. 

Theres no return traffic today. Must be holiday time. 

Thanks Steve. 

04011862-BD56-4633-85B3-76F39992A195.jpeg

3EE024DE-BD62-4B87-8853-7F9CD4C20963.jpeg

• Like 6

On 14/07/2019 at 11:46, sf315 said:

C5178920-99B6-402D-ABB5-F0DB644BDF4E.jpeg

This may be one of the best layout photos I've ever seen. Perfectly captures everything brilliant about O gauge, because it looks almost real. Your work here is truly inspirational. Do you have any more exhibition dates lined up for the layout? I'd love to see it in the flesh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all 

it’s looking like the first outing for the layout will be at Crewe heritage centre for a Gauge O Guild area 4 get together on March 29th. Will post details later. 

The second outing will be at St John’s school in Newcastle under Lyme at the end of July. This is my local show and all proceeds go to charity. Again will post details nearer the date. 

I am eagerly awaiting my delivery of an 03 shunter . Not particularly associated with the area where the layout is set but my favorite class of shunter. 

Thanks Steve. 

Edited by sf315

• 4 weeks later...

New Heljan 03 numbered up as 03034 which was allocated to Lincoln. It spent time shunting Boston Docks. 

Not a class we saw in Stoke area in the late 70s early 80s but they were my favorite class of shunter so I was always going to have one. 

Its a lovely model and your eyes are drawn to the jackshaft drive going round. 

I suppose the only connection I can have between Stoke  and it being outstabled at Boston is that they are near enough at opposite ends of the A52 main road. 

E084C2DF-638B-4031-9802-5F1A28DFC8D4.jpeg

• Like 5