Hillport Goods

sf315

All very nice, I must have missed this spending most my RMWeb time in the 7mm section these days. Think I was meant to be coming too Crewe too but alas another time! I keep thinking about the GJH VGA but there is something I can't quite put my finger on that I'm not quite sure about. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D6775 said:

I keep thinking about the GJH VGA but there is something I can't quite put my finger on that I'm not quite sure about. 

Yes I think the lower part of the roof profile isn’t quite right seems to be more angular as it takes around. 

There was a nice example on the Glasshouse Loan layout at Glasgow in February and thought initially the same but then thought no it looks ok when on the layout 

I don’t think as well the silver colour helps probably EWS livery would be Ok. All in all it’s a nice model to build. 

Thanks steve. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sf315 said:

Yes I think the lower part of the roof profile isn’t quite right seems to be more angular as it takes around. 

There was a nice example on the Glasshouse Loan layout at Glasgow in February and thought initially the same but then thought no it looks ok when on the layout 

I don’t think as well the silver colour helps probably EWS livery would be Ok. All in all it’s a nice model to build. 

Thanks steve. 

Yep, EWS or DB would probably hide it!! I know Andrew at Buzz Models is working on one so I might wait for that. Still looks a nice model, If it wasn't for the prospect of another one I'd probably give it a bash!

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this but looks right up my street, being blue and 0 gauge. Please can I ask where you got the transfer for the Coles crane, I am currently super detailing one for my layout? Thanks 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Not sure how I missed this but looks right up my street, being blue and 0 gauge. Please can I ask where you got the transfer for the Coles crane, I am currently super detailing one for my layout? Thanks 

IIRC there is a reproduction transfer available for the old Dinky Supertoys Coles mobile cranes. I don't know any specific suppliers but such things regularly appear on eBay.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hi yes was looking at your pics last night of your Coles Crane.

I put a search in for Coles crane and the transfer came up and yes it was an ebay seller think it was about £1.50.

thanks Steve

Edited by sf315
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sf315 said:

Hi yes was looking at your pics last night of your Coles Crane.

I put a search in for Coles crane and the transfer came up and yes it was an ebay seller think it was about £1.50.

thanks Steve

Fab, will get searching,  thanks. 

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since posting any pics I have been running the layout and enjoying shunting wagons around. 

With most of the shows cancelled for the layout Only the O Gauge guild show at Telford is left for this year and not heard wether this will go ahead or not. If not it’s next provisional invite is Modelrail Scotland at Glasgow next February. 

Hopefully see you all again when things resume until then stay safe. 

Steve. 

4D1E8E94-4611-4610-9B16-5179AB4B3235.jpeg

ED1436B8-5C31-44FC-A03F-C9D095CCD84F.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Thanks Steve still looking very nice.

Just a thought any chance of a phone video of some of your shunting moves for us all to enjoy.

Best

stay safe

Thanks 

i will have to see what i can do 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Steve I've been wondering what has been going on with your fab layout Hillport as you've not posted anything on here since June?

I'll go and have a skip read in case I have missed any updates.

Regards

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Steve I've been wondering what has been going on with your fab layout Hillport as you've not posted anything on here since June?

I'll go and have a skip read in case I have missed any updates.

Regards

Hello Barnaby

I hadn’t realised it was back in June that my last posting was. 

At the moment the layout is packed away as I’ve decorated my modeling room and although the layout isn’t kept in there I needed the space to store stuff when I emptied my modeling room. As I also model in N gauge I am building a small N gauge layout at the moment. 

O gauge wise I have completed some wagon kits to keep me going through lockdown. 

I’ve built a PRMP OBA open wagon brass kit. 

A PECO/ Parkside  ZBO grampus kit finished  in green 

A Slater’s shock open as a wagon transferred to engineers use as a ZGV. 

I haven’t taken pics of them yet but will do when I get it set up again. 

The layout was to have had its exhibition debut this year and would of been at Telford for the guild show this month. But all exhibitions quite rightly have been canceled/ postponed for this year. Hopefully it’ll be next year when Hillport Goods is unleashed on the world and it should be at Stafford for the guild show which is better for me as it’s only 20 miles or so from where I live. 

As the dark nights approach I’ll get it set back up for more shunting sessions. 

Thanks for the interest 

Steve. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the reply Steve I'll look forward to seeing it live at Stafford and saying hello in 2021.

You could also put yourself in the GOG virtual show showing on 31st October 2020.

PS. Here's the link if you have not seen it.   https://gaugeoguild.com/news/files/0d9468a8-e1f7-4de7-8013-18bc0a79699f.pdf

Best

Edited by Barnaby

Steve sorry to bother you again but I'm just looking at your layout plan at the locations of the various points and trying to work out the overall layout length.

I can see that you have added another 2feet to the fiddle stick but is the overall layout length 12ft when measuring from stick end to layout board end.

It looks like the run-round uses a point in the fiddle stick, is that correct ie 2 tracks into the stick but combining into one via a point.  Also the hole in the world out  into the fiddle stick how far from your layout RH end / goods yard is it?

Many thanks

Edited by Barnaby

Hello Barnaby 

have only just seen your post. 

Yes the layout is 12 feet overall with as you say the fiddle stick included. 

I have a point in the fiddle stick as I can run round but don’t have to move to change a point as I can operate from wherever as the switch box has a long long lead on it and the controller is a Helmsman with a radio control hand controller and I tend to operate from the Goods yard end. 

In answer to jour last query it is approx 6.5 feet from the R/H end. 

Thanks for the interest 

Steve. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers for that Steve.

I Think your idea of a point on the stick is a great idea as it will allow for the run-a-round to be completed with little or no fiddling.

I will check out my train lengths and see if I can make it work on my layout.    I was going to do a fiddle yard board shuffle but using a point would be much simpler.

I'll get on with the checking and possible redesign of my fiddle yard tomorrow, well actually I've already started.

Best 

40 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Cheers for that Steve.

I Think your idea of a point on the stick is a great idea as it will allow for the run-a-round to be completed with little or no fiddling.

I will check out my train lengths and see if I can make it work on my layout.    I was going to do a fiddle yard board shuffle but using a point would be much simpler.

I'll get on with the checking and possible redesign of my fiddle yard tomorrow, well actually I've already started.

Best 

Don't forget to leave room for your biggest engine to clear point blades on track spurs a class 40 or 45 would be able to run round on Hillport with no manual intervention.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have put the layout up again to give the latest additions to the O gauge fleet a 31/0 and a 37/0 both in BR blue. 

Not sure what to number them as but I am thinking on the 31 the steps up the side have got to be filled in and the boiler filler port blanked over as I want to use it for when the layout is running in early 80s mode and most of the 31s had had the above mods done to them. 

I’ve also got on the go a couple of Dapol Hybar wagons which are being repainted and renumbered as will be finished as OWV general merchandise open wagons. 

091A5D32-885B-4B45-8D92-07F04644F2FD.jpeg

9C1FCF04-7139-48CF-BBF0-49DCD0EDC51A.jpeg

DD8B829E-13F6-471B-981B-9734F53AF48D.jpeg

• Like 7