Hillport Goods

sf315

5 hours ago, sf315 said:

I have put the layout up again to give the latest additions to the O gauge fleet a 31/0 and a 37/0 both in BR blue. 

Not sure what to number them as but I am thinking on the 31 the steps up the side have got to be filled in and the boiler filler port blanked over as I want to use it for when the layout is running in early 80s mode and most of the 31s had had the above mods done to them. 

I’ve also got on the go a couple of Dapol Hybar wagons which are being repainted and renumbered as will be finished as OWV general merchandise open wagons. 

091A5D32-885B-4B45-8D92-07F04644F2FD.jpeg

9C1FCF04-7139-48CF-BBF0-49DCD0EDC51A.jpeg

DD8B829E-13F6-471B-981B-9734F53AF48D.jpeg

Great choice of purchases, you maybe aware that the 37 out of the box is only suited to be numbered between 37006 to 37068

• Thanks 1

Yes I did know about the numbers as I’ve read it on your Peasevern Yard thread. 

I may pinch some of your ideas on detailing don’t think I’d go as far as the steps though as my models get handled. 

Thanks for the heads up though. 

Thanks Steve. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sf315 said:

Yes I did know about the numbers as I’ve read it on your Peasevern Yard thread. 

I may pinch some of your ideas on detailing don’t think I’d go as far as the steps though as my models get handled. 

Thanks for the heads up though. 

Thanks Steve. 

No probs Steve, the steps are quite sturdy but they don't lend themselves to the original Heljan box however I have a plan to design and build a bespoke box for it.

• Thanks 1

Another flashback photo. 

08737 shunting two OWV wagons. 

Ok I took it in black and white. 

The wagons are Dapol hybar repaints and weathered. Just the underframe  requires weathering when I get the airbrush out. 

Thanks Steve. 

C2726854-9BFE-4ECA-917D-82699E0EBD48.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 7

A couple of pics from recent days. 

I loaded an Heljan OAA wagon with a couple of blocks of wood and used a Roger Smith tarpaulin sheet set I had and covered it. The ties being I think some fishing line that someone give me many years ago. 

The second pic shows the new order on railfreight livery on the layout. The VAA van started life as a 30 quid Hattons one but was in EWS livery so a repaint and some Railtec Transfers soon sorted that out. The VGA is by GJH plant. 

I now have enough wagons to run the layout in a later guise ie about 82 onwards. Some of the vacc brake and even some unfitted wagons could still appear. Even the bogie cargowaggon is having a run up and down and funnily it doesn’t look as big now. 

Thanks Steve

13C3BFB2-08B1-44D5-8197-3B29A558B176.jpeg

2D115685-7A88-41E3-9940-BBBE07C79E08.jpeg

• Like 9

Today’s pic 

Class 31 waiting time for the trip back to Cockshute sidings. The crew will be in the Yard office on the left  having a brew no doubt. 

On the rolling stock front the etched brass medfit wagon is being transferred up as a ZAV engineers dept wagon. 

A Skytrex TTA is also having its transfers put on.

At the build stage are two PECO iron ore tipplers to be finished as sand MSO wagons. The kit for the tipplers is one of the best kits I’ve ever built it’s a really nice thought out kit how it goes together and the mouldings are nice and crisp. It’s been a joy to build so far. 

More soon. 

Thanks 

Steve.   

FF9F6043-D883-4236-9520-2692BD5DB021.jpeg

• Like 7

Hello Steve, just look at the amount of exquisite detail in that close up photo. 

There's a pallet full of individual bricks, a very scale looking bicycle, a lever arm, a couple of dustbins, a down spout with a connecting waste pipe and not to mention a Class 31 holding a Railfreight wagon ready for the off, superb.

Best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest traffic to be depicted on the layout as suggested by Cobbler on here is a spot load of sand delivered in tipplers and unloaded by the yards new grab bucket excavator. I hope to add more wagons for the sand traffic but looking to use different wagon types. 

The second pic is the ZAV medfit now it’s had some paint and transfers put on. 

Thanks Steve. 

3D3EA9B6-DF37-4A60-95B3-7B90BA3FD8C5.jpeg

B3D59ECE-2D80-46F4-9090-CC4CB030FBC3.jpeg

• Like 10

A couple more wagons one ready for weathering which is a Skytrex TTA Kit. 

A Connoisseur Kits LNER tube wagon ready for the paint shop. 

Ive had these kits in my stash for a while so I thought it was time to build them. 

Lastly a yard shot taken during shunting. 

Thanks Steve. 

69B8C834-9C35-4E06-B81F-DB5427DCF7AC.jpeg

4251F6C6-9455-43B7-873D-AA32863D83CB.jpeg

5902DC1F-3272-4DCC-B43D-70D128C48314.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Today’s trip working 

the wagons were shunted into the siding for the 08 to shunt later. 

Hopefully sometime soon I can get the layout in the public eye rather than just pics on here.

But we need to stay safe and get vaccinated and I am sure the day will come when it’s set up in a hall ready for a showing. 

Thanks Steve 

104F7880-547B-4960-A857-044F096BDEE8.jpeg

27A5D32F-DF5A-4A76-A8EC-0C1869EC1B83.jpeg

B0EAB357-B387-4F38-883A-39CD9488D122.jpeg

• Like 5

I have only just discovered this thread.

It's a lovely looking layout- bang in my era.

I have got a OO gauge layout but I am more and more tempted to dabble in O gauge. My main argument against O gauge was the cost, but having just searched for Dapol Class 08 prices, it compares quite favourably to some OO gauge stuff on the market- I saw Bachmann 47 on Ebay go for £525 last week!

I am also not sure how patient and adept I would be at kitbuilding, but I guess it can be no more fiddly than trying to put together Kadee No 5 coupler, right?

I think I will give my current project another year, and then start something new.

Thanks for the inspiration... enjoy your excellent work. 

Stu

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 9C85 said:

I have only just discovered this thread.

It's a lovely looking layout- bang in my era.

I have got a OO gauge layout but I am more and more tempted to dabble in O gauge. My main argument against O gauge was the cost, but having just searched for Dapol Class 08 prices, it compares quite favourably to some OO gauge stuff on the market- I saw Bachmann 47 on Ebay go for £525 last week!

I am also not sure how patient and adept I would be at kitbuilding, but I guess it can be no more fiddly than trying to put together Kadee No 5 coupler, right?

I think I will give my current project another year, and then start something new.

Thanks for the inspiration... enjoy your excellent work. 

Stu

Go for it Stu, I have funded my move to O gauge pretty much from selling off some OO gauge stock, and for the same space where you have say 20 x 00 gauge locos you only need 4 or 5 O gauge ones so the cost per Sqft is not that different. You can get so much ready to run that you don't need to do loads of kits unless you want to and I am finding building some of the Slaters kits easy enough. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with37114 above I model in N gauge and my thinking is I need 6 wagons in that space at £20 each in N gauge where as in O I need only two at £40 each so it’s cheaper. Well that’s how I convinced myself. Yes loco wise it’s more expensive but you just don’t need that many. 

As for kit building try a PECO Parkside wagon. The pipe wagon is pretty straight forward yes Slater’s are good too but for the first timer the instructions are crap. 

I am glad I got into O Gauge but I wouldn’t give up my N either 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, sf315 said:

Today’s trip working 

the wagons were shunted into the siding for the 08 to shunt later. 

Hopefully sometime soon I can get the layout in the public eye rather than just pics on here.

But we need to stay safe and get vaccinated and I am sure the day will come when it’s set up in a hall ready for a showing. 

Thanks Steve 

104F7880-547B-4960-A857-044F096BDEE8.jpeg

27A5D32F-DF5A-4A76-A8EC-0C1869EC1B83.jpeg

B0EAB357-B387-4F38-883A-39CD9488D122.jpeg

That is first class.

The layout seems to look bigger than it really is, I think because you have used all the space effectively.

The camera angles for the photos really work well, and show off the marvellous selection of wagonry.

If Hillport Goods does get a public outing hopefully I will be able to catch up one day,

cheers  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Go for it Stu, I have funded my move to O gauge pretty much from selling off some OO gauge stock, and for the same space where you have say 20 x 00 gauge locos you only need 4 or 5 O gauge ones so the cost per Sqft is not that different. You can get so much ready to run that you don't need to do loads of kits unless you want to and I am finding building some of the Slaters kits easy enough. 

The other thing I am thinking is that, for me,  the most enjoyable aspect of my layout is shunting parcels stock with a filthy 08. I suppose it doesn't matter whether it's six OO gauge GUVs, or a BG and a CCT in  O Gauge, the principle is the same.

Even if I never get round to doing anything in O gauge, I can have some fun making plans on my computer. 

Thanks again.  Have a great weekend everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1