Hillport Goods

sf315

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments here. My O scale layout is American, so I need even less stock to fill the space. Honestly, I've spent less than a grand on locomotives for the layout over the past several years and I have six locomotives to run my 13'x2' exhibition layout (2 of which are currently DCC sound fitted, at that), and it's more than enough. I could have gotten away with just two, but good deals just kept coming along.

I've certainly spent less on my O scale stuff (6 locomotives and about 25 freight cars/wagons) than I ever have on my HO/OO/N scales - and that's separately, not clumped together. I think the idea of "well I've got the space on the shelf so I might as well get more" tends to get the better of us all.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 9C85 said:

The other thing I am thinking is that, for me,  the most enjoyable aspect of my layout is shunting parcels stock with a filthy 08. I suppose it doesn't matter whether it's six OO gauge GUVs, or a BG and a CCT in  O Gauge, the principle is the same

Shunting in O Gauge is really enjoyable as to me each wagon/coach is a separate model and has a presence of its own rather then you needing a few of them to look good. So yes an 08 and some stock is a good way to go. 

Especially if you realize your space and know you are never going to be able to run full length loco and 9 coaches due to space.

I use 3 link couplings on my stock and enjoy having a good shunt. 

Its whatever you want from your models or layouts but it’s each to there own. That’s what makes model railways a great pastime especially at this current time. I’ve also made a few good friends through model railways. 

Thanks Steve. 

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

After asking about NPCCS and unloading in goods yards in the question section on Rm web I thought I’d have a look what my BG looks like on the layout. 

Its yet to be transferred and weathered. 

39E359C4-5CB9-48FD-BAB6-D0EB6A303E70.jpeg

• Like 9

Hillport Goods is a fabulous looking layout Steve.

Did you ever get around to making a video of a shunt sequence, one to view would be very nice plus an end to end walk while filming?

I'd never thought about using some of the bigger wagons like you have done because of wanting to keep the size down.   However you use of the point in the fiddle plank stick is allowing me to move my plan about to ensure I have enough room on run around's etc.

The trouble is my new plan is overtaking me finishing off my existing one.

Best

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hillport Goods is a fabulous looking layout Steve.

Did you ever get around to making a video of a shunt sequence, one to view would be very nice plus an end to end walk while filming?

I'd never thought about using some of the bigger wagons like you have done because of wanting to keep the size down.   However you use of the point in the fiddle plank stick is allowing me to move my plan about to ensure I have enough room on run around's etc.

The trouble is my new plan is overtaking me finishing off my existing one.

Best

Hello Barnaby

I haven’t made much in the way of videos as I am the sole operator of the layout and would have to try and film it as well. I can’t do a layout walk either as there’s a bed in front of the layout where I set the layout up. 

I also struggle to upload videos to Rm web not mastered it yet. 

Yes by having the point on the fiddle stick it allows me to run round stuff easily and I am using more larger stock as I am finding that it does not look out of place.

Thanks Steve.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

08737 which is my main shunter for the layout. It was a Crewe based shunter but a Longport regular in the early 80s when me and a mate used go down there. The other good thing was the footbridge over the line where we used to spot from was also on our schools cross country route so a few of us used to ask if we could do cross country in PE  a lot but we’d only go to the footbridge and sit there for a bit. Suppose that’s why there’s a footbridge on Hillport Goods. 

Anyway 08737 is engaged in a spot of shunting. 

On the wagon front there’s a couple of PRMP etched brass SPA steel open wagons on the go which will be finished in rail freight red to add a splash of colour. 

50257260-39A1-47F5-932C-9A3E7CF54958.jpeg

• Like 10

Hello Steve, thanks for punching out a "down memory lane" to place the layout firmly in reality.  I /we used to do something similar from a bridge using it as access to place pennies on the track to get big flat ones after a loco passing.

Ahh memories.

Best

• Like 1

On the workbench at the moment and coming along nicely are two PRMP etched brass and white metal kits for SPA air braked open wagons. These will be finished in railfreight red and won’t have much weathering as they would be newish wagons for the period modeled. 

Also on show are some N gauge wagons I’ve been working on these are n gauge society kits. 

DEBCE980-F293-46CB-9BD1-F51D4826C9B4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of plates await unloading in the yard. 

On the workbench the SPA wagons have been painted rail red and transfers applied for Railfreight branding. Working on the data panel as it’s got to be made up of individual letters and numbers. Think though that once they’re on the layout they’ll look the part. 

595F7D9A-98B6-461F-8B48-9F4F9837431D.jpeg

• Like 9

A couple of pics of the SPA wagons I’ve built. The transfers are being added with the TOPS panels made up from individual letters and numbers which are available from Fox transfers. Railfreight branding is from Railtec. Not much else going on at the moment as other things to do around the house. 

A9C7523C-9E97-44CC-9C50-8161DF016861.jpeg

AA674E9D-FA4A-45A5-8F6D-077912C71FD9.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Engineers wagons in the yard on sleeper replacement work on the branch 

the ZGO 13 ton open is a Slater’s Kit while the wagon behind is a modified WEP Models etched brass GW 10 ton starfish ballast wagon kit. I have based it on one pictured in Modeling British Railways engineers wagons by Simon Bendall.

THe MDV open is a MM1 Models Kit and was built at the start of lockdown last year and only recently finished. It carries a scrap load. 

1137E277-40B7-4507-B74B-8F749E21AE36.jpeg

FB52B0D2-A2AC-42BD-9428-7679C24FAC5D.jpeg

A11318F4-6801-44E5-87F4-B5A3D555D63D.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, sf315 said:

A quick question to anyone who Knows 

A Heljan 37/0 one of the new ones how does the body come off ??

had a quick look and nothing looks obvious.

thanks Steve

Hi Steve, pull the side frames off the bogies and you will see 4 screws, unscrew them and make sure the jumper cables are loose from the body and it should just pull off.

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hi Steve, pull the side frames off the bogies and you will see 4 screws, unscrew them and make sure the jumper cables are loose from the body and it should just pull off.

Thanks for your answer  I also asked the question on a Facebook page and they pointed me in the right direction. 

do the side frames come off easy or do they need prising off with a screwdriver or the like. Just don’t want to knacker anything. 

Just now, sf315 said:

Thanks for your answer  I also asked the question on a Facebook page and they pointed me in the right direction. 

do the side frames come off easy or do they need prising off with a screwdriver or the like. Just don’t want to knacker anything. 

They need a gentle pull, I used a screwdriver but not much force.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had my 03,31and 37 from Andy Small who has weathered them and numbered the 31and 37. 

Not over done with the weathering just general service grime. 

Thanks Andy much appreciated. 

EB0074F2-31C4-4DF6-BC01-6D5014A5F828.jpeg

6ADB9CAA-BAF2-4358-8248-321DFFDC3A77.jpeg

992C5AAD-9EAD-43BA-A001-0CA1A2BE51FA.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

I am at the moment doing a test build to see if a mates 3D printed steel coil wagon will build into a O Gauge model with a view to him making improvements and offering the model for sale as a kit or printed scratch aids.

It’s a BNX ( tops code)  coil carrying wagon portrayed in its later life when the hoods were removed 

the bogies he has supplied are from Connoisseur Models.  

85DC289A-A249-4D1C-B8DE-4477055F6DDE.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Looks like it is a very quick build Steve.

I'm trying to drag myself into the Diesel era but I haven't settled on which.  It will probably come down to sound as the 37 is a real beast and I do like the whistle of the 20, maybe rule1 will have to apply.

Keep the "steel coil" wagon build photos coming.

Best

• Like 1

I’ve been doing some more to the test build and added buffers coupling hook and brake pipes. Buffers and coupling hook are not the correct ones but I’ve used what I’ve got in my bits box for this as he knew the mountings for the buffers weren’t  needed for O Gauge just a hole but he left them on the print by mistake. The coupling hook slot is to be altered to take a Slater’s or PECO sprung  one on future prints. 

A346A872-10F9-4FD5-80F8-6CE10CFF7A36.jpeg

B1860E25-540C-46AE-BC79-7FE9C7023414.jpeg

084CD4DC-A05C-4A91-A3A5-D11641A34025.jpeg

32E1CB41-32BC-44BB-8AEE-67FF9F62C9AF.jpeg

• Like 4

More work done on the BNX wagon 

A bit of touching up paint wise and it’ll have gloss varnish applied ready for its transfers which in all honesty is basically wagon number weight and tops code. 

With a maintenance panel at the other end and a few electrification warning flashes on the cradles. 

All the transfers will come from Fox Transfers. 

14DAA23E-D1E7-4B78-ACB9-AC3CA16FB488.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...