TFW’s workshop

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2020 at 11:10, CF MRC said:

Dome looks much better, Tony. The smokebox door probably has too much of a jump from the smokebox ring, if you see what I mean?  Maybe  the door should be slightly less diameter relative to the ring, in other words the ring a bit more bold? Or maybe the ring is a bit small in diameter relative to the smokebox itself?  Questions, questions...

I must say, I am looking forward to see how Ian is getting on with Valour. 

Tim

Hello Tim,

Sorry to be so slow responding. I always just look at "new posts" when I check RMWeb and your post must have slipped off the first couple of pages!

The smokebox door was turned over in Vincent Worthington's workshop using his generic smokebox form tool. It looked about right to the eye until I put it in the loco!

I have played with files and wet and dry in my little lathe and it looks a bit better now. Some more front detail has gone on too.

I am very, very slow but trying to make a decent job of this one and I think I am happy with how the front end looks now.

DSCN2590.JPG.f759d041f7b125b5e389c57b0643ff85.JPG

I had a play with the junction of the pipe into the smokebox too.

RSCN2640.JPG.c6fd85cbc81e7870728726912d66fc4b.JPG

Those scratchmarks are not visible to the naked eye but after I saw the photo I smoothed them off!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff Tony. I use my phone camera a lot to check things and finishes. 
My Valour is making its way up Mr Rathbone’s queue.

Something a bit different:

FF8387EE_CBFB_4CE0_BCC3_9BE48D301C9B.jpe
Yeo, 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Tim

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Excellent stuff Tony. I use my phone camera a lot to check things and finishes. 
My Valour is making its way up Mr Rathbone’s queue.

Something a bit different:

FF8387EE_CBFB_4CE0_BCC3_9BE48D301C9B.jpe
Yeo, 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Tim

Thanks Tim,

The real Valour went into traffic in July 1920, so hopefully you might have yours back for the centenary and I might have mine finished but maybe not painted.

I bet you were wondering what to do with all that room to hide your motor. A bit of a change from your usual problems fitting one in.

When I look at the way some people struggle to hide motors in even much larger 4mm models, they should take a look at this sort of thing and learn. Have you worked your pick ups out yet? If it is split frame, you have hidden it well.

Looking very nice.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I did mention the centenary of Valour’s entry to traffic to Ian, but I’m really not too worried.  It’s not as if we have any shows to get to. 
Yeo is going to be dead rail, radio control, hence a 6V Maxon motor. No pick ups, no split frames, no dirty track. Could be quite fun. I have had it scurrying across the bench dragging its battery, receiver and baggage. Looks quite comical. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I did mention the centenary of Valour’s entry to traffic to Ian, but I’m really not too worried.  It’s not as if we have any shows to get to. 
Yeo is going to be dead rail, radio control, hence a 6V Maxon motor. No pick ups, no split frames, no dirty track. Could be quite fun. I have had it scurrying across the bench dragging its battery, receiver and baggage. Looks quite comical. 

Tim

Now you are just showing off! I guess the low slung motor is to allow for batteries higher up. I look forward to seeing the final result.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely!

There isn't much that gives that away as a 2mm model, it could pass for a 4mm one easily and I have seen 7mm models that don't look that good blown up on a screen.

If mine turn out half as good, I will be well pleased.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It will be good to see the engine in service at the head of a 1923 Pullman train on CF.

Tim

It will equally be good to attend a show to be able to see it ...

A very satisfactory end result, you must be delighted.

5 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Valour has now gone through Ian Rathbone’s paint shop and final re-assembly with a bit of weathering.  Ian has made an outstanding job of the lining.  It will be good to see the engine in service at the head of a 1923 Pullman train on CF.
244BBDF1_8768_4DF1_BCBF_F52023E3F7A2.jpe
805900E6_E3A0_4E23_B2E5_331741A902EA.jpe
D44C6889_6CCF_419A_B408_84DF8E061E3C.jpe
E10EA751_AAE3_4F30_AC31_83CC840B1F17.jpe

Tim

Just beautiful, gorgeous and fabulous!

Fantastic work Tim - and Ian!

Gerry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2020 at 20:17, LNER4479 said:

It will equally be good to attend a show to be able to see it ...

A very satisfactory end result, you must be delighted.

Tim and I had a chat about doing a line up of "The Three Valours" one day, when my 4mm and 7mm ones finally get completed.

I may have to up my game if the two larger models are not going to be upstaged!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

My father always used to say that “a good big’un will always beat a good littl’un”,

...but that related to horses. 

Tim

I always thought it was Boxers.

Just goes to show, every day’s a school day. 

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Valour is coasting into Kings Cross having had a good run from Sheffield on the new Pullman service. Both driver and firemen can relax now, and the gauge glass shows the boiler well topped up. The driver is from ? Preiser (much modified); the fireman from Modelu - he was too big to fit in the cab. 

I'm not surprised the fireman doesn't fit in the cab - he must be quite big-headed from all the compliments on his efficient firing technique... there looks to be plenty of coal left in the tender after such a long trip :) 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Cue a short history of KX Pullman services...

In early LNER days a variety of pullman services were tried by the LNER. One of these was the handily short, but very short-lived, Sheffield Pullman.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p925048310/h3385729d

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p925048310/h3d8ca935

Another was the Harrogate Pullman which,  if memory serves,  later morphed into the Queen of Scots.

Edit: This webpage gives you an idea of the changes:  https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/queen_scots.html . I can't comment on its complete accuracy but it gives you an idea of the early chopping and changing.

Simon

Edited by 65179
To add an extra link
  • Thanks 1