TFW’s workshop

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Simon. Following the early Pullman trains on the ECML is fraught with identity and train formation issues. We have six old Graham Farish Pullmans on CF which have had the chassis removed, table lamps placed, new truss rods and six wheel American Kadee bogies fitted, along with a minor repaint at eaves level. They are good enough for ‘layout coaches’ but then most of ours are... I have acquired another couple of saloon cars that could strengthen the rake to eight.  Fortunately, the early trains didn’t carry destination boards. A full repaint of the rake is probably overdue.  

However, this picture is very tempting to reproduce:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p925048310/h3d8ca935#h2ea14147
I wonder what the two royal carriages are?  

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting how things develop.  On another forum I noticed that Mike Trice had made a 3D print of the LNER Coronation beaver-tail observation car. I cheekily asked if it could be produced in 2mm scale. A little while later this package arrived. 
5EF042B7-37B3-40AD-A749-5872DA718AA5.jpe
Mike has made a superb job of the design and although some parts of the components are quite fragile I think it ‘is a goer’ as a basis for a 2mm model. The window vents are very delicate, but will sustain support from the glazing. The finish is outstanding. An added bonus is the interior.

0EDED44D-2B27-45F0-83DB-C8CF2E74C0DD.jpe

What is so topical is that the prototype, no. 1729, has just been unveiled after a lengthy restoration and features in an excellent article in the current issue of Steam Railway. 
F14BB6C3-11EF-4D8C-A51F-D9C416B84483.jpe

There is now the minor issue of how to re-create the stainless steel trim on the beaver tail, but I have some ideas for that. The rest of the train will also now be needed: at least we have the Lonestar A4 to go on the front end!

Tim

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon Dawson also offers 3D prints via his www.rue-d-etropal.com web site, including other Coronation coaches and the modified beavertail just in case Mike Trice isn't making them for the masses.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lner/3d_printed_coronation_coaches.htm

I haven't bought any of his coaches yet but I've seen a couple of 3mm scale ones and I've got a couple of his 3mm loco models which are quite nice.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Simon Dawson also offers 3D prints via his www.rue-d-etropal.com web site, including other Coronation coaches and the modified beavertail just in case Mike Trice isn't making them for the masses.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lner/3d_printed_coronation_coaches.htm

I haven't bought any of his coaches yet but I've seen a couple of 3mm scale ones and I've got a couple of his 3mm loco models which are quite nice.

Thanks for that, I would like to see an actual version of these in 2mm scale rather than the CAD images.  I’m not sure if Shapeways would match the finish that Mike has achieved. 

Tim

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I have emailed Allen. The best option would be to have a set etched in stainless steel. 

Tim

Allen has shrunk a few things for me  mainly from 4mm I confess  most stay untouched in the gloat box   chest  I swore I would not attempt the 203  until I finished the 201  and even then the 207 even seen in public at a association agm still needs finishing

I hand my head in shame

Nick B

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Thanks for that, I would like to see an actual version of these in 2mm scale rather than the CAD images.  I’m not sure if Shapeways would match the finish that Mike has achieved. 

I have a couple of the rue-d-etropal carriages via shapeways and can vouch for the fact that the finish is quite rough.

They do get a bit of a panning on various forums but can made to look decent with a bit of work.

The finish on the print you have there looks excellent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a technician colleague at a well known workshop who makes miniature models of cars. I think he vac forms plastic for the windscreens. Getting a mould shape is already in hand. Otherwise, Mike has tried 3D printing the glazing, which might also serve. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

35 minutes ago, Argos said:

I have a couple of the rue-d-etropal carriages via shapeways and can vouch for the fact that the finish is quite rough.

They do get a bit of a panning on various forums but can made to look decent with a bit of work.

Unfortunately that is a byproduct of the out of date materials and processes Shapeways use rather than the quality of the design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

You could try Bayer Vivak copolyester sheet.

It is availavle in 0.5mm and can be formed when warm.

I found some info in English here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.stephen-webster.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vivak-PETg-Solid-copolyester-sheet-datasheet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjih9j-lNruAhVFPuwKHWlBAPoQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0cHk9OH5DS4WzhcdnO11yh&cshid=1612783431178

My 'local' (15km from home) model shop sells it.

I use it as glazing material but I haven't tried forming it.

Jan

I did a quick test with the Vivak sheet by clamping it in the inner ring of a ball bearing with a steel bush to press it against the bearing

IMG_20210208_170548.jpg.9a109c573983c9497569cb7ff0bb976a.jpg 

Then I put it in boilt water for approx. 5 min and cooled it with cold water.

It works very well, it keeps its form without springing back, there is only a very small gap between the plastic and the bush:

1193686150_IMG_20210208_1719492.jpg.cf3f2ec8a7f26b979574d4c881eba561.jpg 

And this is the result. The surface is not completely smooth because I left the protective foil on.

I think that a very smooth former will give better results. 

IMG_20210208_172214.jpg.213a27d1a84d48b2fa267b9d57f789eb.jpg

Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I wonder what the designer of the Lone Star A4 would think if they knew their model would one day be hauling something that's 'magically' made in a little box and, potentially, decorated with a by product of the space industry. 

I was going to say he may think it's all like something from the Jetsons; but it appears the diecast pacific even predates that.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Pixie said:

I wonder what the designer of the Lone Star A4 would think ...

I can't answer that, but I'll bet he'd be wondering why he still can't buy a flying car.

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The beaver tail observation car has made some progress, courtesy of Mike Trice & a very skilled colleague at a certain tall building in London.  The negative shape of the glazing was 3D printed by Mike and then the lump polished to a fine finish. 
7E09B112-FD29-4BBD-B2CA-02602F4B2991.jpe

These were then set up under a vacuum forming machine running with 0.5mm clear sheet. 

54097E1A-4FE2-4BFD-91F6-796A66EE27FF.jpe

CB73CD2B-1539-4FAF-A2E9-FB31FF25D876.jpe
There were a few pressed, allowing for errors.  Trimming out of the sheet was simply with a pair of scissors.
659E089A-D11C-4124-8902-07A0BF364F48.jpe

The final shaping was with a file and then carefully removing any ‘wire edge’ with a scalpel blade. 
7A62F280-ACBB-4F75-9E78-785F73517BB3.jpe

The end result shows it resting in place, but with the central window bar still present. That will be removed and replaced with a separate metal trim, whence the fit should improve.  
6AEBF8C8-07CE-4398-96C5-63B2AD8E05A1.jpe

I think this trial fit is pretty effective and I doubt that alternative techniques would achieve the complex shape any better. It will be even better in 4mm scale, because the plastic thickness will be more favourable; either way, ‘good enough for government work’, as they say. There should be some etches arriving fairly soon from Worsley Works, but heavens knows when the train will get built!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Can I put in a vote for a new A4 to haul it?  4491 obviously (and it did haul the first Down Coronation so....).  I don't imagine my Worsley Works train will end up looking as good - lack of space age material being one of many issues not least the ability of the builder!

1 hour ago, Sithlord75 said:

Can I put in a vote for a new A4 to haul it?  4491 obviously (and it did haul the first Down Coronation so....).  I don't imagine my Worsley Works train will end up looking as good - lack of space age material being one of many issues not least the ability of the builder!

Watch out Kevin, You know how suggestions here result in self-volunteering to create the those same items! Previously you had said that, for a first go at building an engine, something less complex than an A4 would be preferred.

3 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Watch out Kevin, You know how suggestions here result in self-volunteering to create the those same items! Previously you had said that, for a first go at building an engine, something less complex than an A4 would be preferred.

No likelihood of that Richard, as my Coro and SJ sets are both coming in 1:!48 to match 2512 and 4491 - both Dapol.  The first loco is looking like a J50 at present.

3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Sorry Kevin,  another Dominion got in first... 

Tim

Well I guess they needed something considering it's the only one which doesn't play test cricket!

Edited by Sithlord75
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As the beavertail is 2mm scale, so also the Coronation etches will be. Dominion of Canada is definitely 2mm scale as it derives from a Lonestar original.  The SJ set was built on plastic mouldings, effectively making it 1:148, and that matches Filthy Socks which was originally a Farish loco. Will be interesting to see how the sizes compare in practice. 

Tim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...