TFW’s workshop

CF MRC

Clever work as always Tim.  I hope you didn't cause any squeamishness on here with that photo of the NiTi RC file!

I'm just about to start on the wheel and handle for my Jubilee pug, but will be using a slightly different approach as it has proper spokes and not just four round holes.  It might be a day or two before I get time to do it, but I'll post the result on my 'Jubilee' thread once I do.

Jim

On 17/11/2019 at 21:18, Caley Jim said:

I'm just about to start on the wheel and handle for my Jubilee pug, but will be using a slightly different approach as it has proper spokes and not just four round holes.  It might be a day or two before I get time to do it, but I'll post the result on my 'Jubilee' thread once I do.

Now done and posted here .

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Correction of link

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a thingamybob on the near side of the 9P smokebox and other plumbing along the handrail. 
B902E2F1-8E3D-41BD-B0FD-5A66DBEE25D7.jpeg.a676cf3c7255b261dfc6fea453045716.jpeg

This was bent up from some 0.5mm thick brass wire and bent back on itself into a V shape, constantly annealing it in a small flame. The final shape was then filed into it. 
The rear part of the handrail was made from pivot steel and the other operating linkage from 33 SWG phosphor bronze wire: this has more resilience than n/s or brass. 
15BD01B4-7A90-40B8-9DB8-30233C8EF124.jpeg.2626a12c5b81b037cc9f0772e8519293.jpeg

I am awaiting some non-tarnishing alloy for the safety valves. The engine will soon need a list of jobs to finish it off. 

All the best for Christmas & the New Year everyone!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Looking lovely Tim. Will you be painting her or will she be going elsewhere?

All the best for the season and all that!

Tony

Already lined up with Ian to hand over at Missenden. My left eye isn’t so good for straight lines these days.  She’ll be in full GC livery.  Hopefully complete by the centenary of the original engine’s entry to service. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I really look forward to seeing the mini Valour in the flesh. I am getting almost no modelling time at the moment but I will bring the medium and large versions along, probably still unfinished, so we can have a nice line up.

• RMweb Premium

The rear handrails on GC side-windowed cabs were supported by a slender bracket above waist height. 
B84E751A-4077-4517-8600-E5CB96131F29_zps

(photo courtesy Peter - PAD)
The bracket was made from a strip of 5 thou N/S with a snake’s tongue filed into one end, rather than a hole.  The other end of the handrail would be supported near the roof. 
CE143935-00BC-438F-9E3A-D6E929E8D1AC.jpeg.10c30d949f0273ea362fc99dd07e47b7.jpeg
This was soldered on, using a Macor ceramic block to support it, as the iron was brought to bear on the well fluxed & tinned components. 
A block of wood could probably have served as well. 
86B7C073-E88C-4D14-981F-58CFE1685B5C.jpeg.f05bbd2bcfdd8e13fc1fe4c1c71d2b92.jpeg

CC8FC80E-38C8-4929-AD53-DB0D11BA3CB2.jpeg.004c53be87b5e8c6305c710fae1599b5.jpeg

The handrail was made from the usual pivot steel, again well tinned, with the solder being used to make the central handrail knob.

E3AD3E01-22E8-4453-AE51-0EA9D0BD692D.jpeg.e25c324a35c11f3e8a2505a8189a262a.jpeg

Tim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium

Recent efforts have concentrated on the front end again. The two ‘brass’ oilers tucked in next to the smokebox will never tarnish...

C7D5912D-0842-403C-ACF1-AA6948BAEE63_zps

Other fittings such as the brake pipe were bent up from 0.4mm diameter brass wire, wrapped with fine wire to represent the flexible hose and the pipe fittings.  Lamp irons were flattened 33 SWG phosphor bronze wire. 

5EF0BB43-9286-49EF-A989-030FF4CB11ED_zps
GC engines have an interesting horizontal swinging arrangement for the front coupling hook. The only outstanding fittings to be made at the front are now the guard irons and frames above the front bogie wheel. These may be made of black styrene, for expediency. 

Tim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium

Needless to say, the Robinson engines had a very stylish hand brake column on the tender. 
23A80032-2A38-4240-BCE6-BDD94D04306B_zps

I originally played with a brass casting, but this didn’t look right: Valour has become quite a special engine, so I thought something better was needed.  I therefore turned up some 1mm diameter brass rod, initially to the diameter of the head. This was grooved across the top with a slotting file. 
18FCE9F8-4431-482C-B6EB-373093916318_zps

It was then put in the lathe and the just the top shank of the brake rod hand turned with a graver. 
69B86265-D28C-49C4-8D46-F9893DCA408A_zps

The rear of the column was then moved out of the collet and taper turned to length, finishing off with a fine file - note the finger rest when turning and the file held lightly between first finger and thumb 
FE3123E4-88B6-4B2C-BFB9-2D8FC13289AF_zps

The handle was bent up from steel wire and fitted into the slot on the head. 
0C93EE13-7FA2-4891-B233-278FC3F37713_zps

The two components were held relative to each other using insulating tape and soldered with some very good solder & flux from Germany that works well with steel https://www.fohrmann.com/en/solder.html?jumpTab=rating&utm_source=bewertungsemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=serviceemail

334BC62A-3CF0-44DB-9DA8-194669A341D5_zps

The end result (two were made) can be compared with the casting, which had been modified as much as I could.  It would probably have been OK on a ‘layout’ loco.  Any  excess steel was cut off with a fine diamond slitting disc on the hand made column.
216AEEF4-39AB-4387-8659-9482F1F22343_zps

It was soon mounted on the tender footplate. 
D9CAFB39-3985-44C5-A915-5FFF6C957531_zps

I think that finishes off the tender front end detailing. The cab fittings will probably have the plastic pattern made at the MEE at Ally Pally in a few weeks time. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Tim.

There is one thing that is missing from the tender on Butler Henderson that has been removed at some stage and that is the sanding gear.

In GCR/LNER service, Valour's tender had it but it isn't shown on some drawings, even GA ones.

I am attaching a rather poor snap of my 4 and 7mm ones. These are not self trimmers but the sand boxes were the same, as was the vertical sand pipe down to the rails. The 7mm one has the operating handles fitted but the 4mm one doesn't yet and I am not sure whether to bother (wimp!).

RSCN1717.JPG.18dcf61c7379b1f4ba32105e0e702ac6.JPG

Whether it is worth adding on yours has to be your call. They are as big or bigger than some of the twiddly bits you have put on!

Even on the 7mm one, I haven't worked out how to do the canvas "cab door"

927285315_ButlerHenderson04052008006.jpg.753772567616cbf9da483cd1ac811691.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Are the sandboxes all the same depth? To put in another way are they all the same height above footplate level? Yours and those fitted to Sir Edward Fraser's tender (see locos of the GCR vol2) superficially seem shallower than those in the models and drawings of Geoff Holt's Imminghams in his Locomotive Modelling Part 2.

Thanks, 

Simon  

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 65179 said:

Are the sandboxes all the same depth? To put in another way are they all the same height above footplate level? Yours and those fitted to Sir Edward Fraser's tender (see locos of the GCR vol2) superficially seem shallower than those in the models and drawings of Geoff Holt's Imminghams in his Locomotive Modelling Part 2.

Thanks, 

Simon  

Well spotted! The sandboxes are, as far as I know, all the same height. However, they sit on the main footplate and stick up through D shaped holes in the raised platforms and their height varied to match the height of the cab floor in the loco they were attached to. So the visible portion did vary but none, to my knowledge, had the full sandbox on top of the raised platform.

Modellers and kit designers have interpreted this in different ways over the years and I have seen full height sandboxes sitting on top of the raised platform many times, resulting in a sandbox that is much too high. If there were any real ones like that, I have yet to spot one and any photos looking between the loco and tender show just the top portion of the sandbox.

I fear that Geoff Holt, good as he was, may have fallen into the trap and his look too high to me.

There is a good photo of a sandbox fitted standard tender front in Volume 2 of the Johnson book on GCR locos that shows them reasonably well. The GA in there on P158 shows it too. Having looked closely, the self trimming sandboxes may be slightly different as they appear to be more square in shape and have the filler cap to the side rather than in the centre. They have different operating handles too. I haven't ever put sandboxes on a self trimmer so I hadn't noticed it before.

I hope that helps,

Tony

Edited by t-b-g
To add further detail
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The GA in the Johnson book shows the sandbox and its linkage for the self trimming tender. Both boxes were operated by a common linkage with an operating handle on one side half way up the rotating part, on the driver’s side of the tender.

9C25FE47-B146-45E0-8AF8-0C7BA283FE5C_zps
I don’t think the sandbox would have been very prominent on this tender.  They were made from bits of brass with a 0.7mm hole for the lid cover and a 0.3 mm hole for the operating rod.  A piece of rod was pushed through and soldered to make the lid and then cur off and filed to shape. 

66CDDA23-A46A-4F38-A13C-21371DCB2535_zps

The operating rod was then soldered into the back of the sand box.

81128071-F129-487B-B4F1-1B77B42D3CB9_zps

The operating handle was represented by a handrail knob etching, cut down. The linkage across the top of the coal hole  was represented by a piece of 5 thou NS strip.

C398C44D-F4B7-49B9-BA5D-0A04B906515B_zps

I think that’ll do for now. 
Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Impressive. I've just got as far as practical proof that in 4mm scale the fold-up piece for the hopper bunker can in fact be bent to the correct shape without gaps and that it will fit in the right place in rest of the structure when the latter is soldered up rigidly. I was led to believe before I started that this was a point of some concern, so I'm relieved to have that out of the way......

• RMweb Premium

One couldn’t sleep easy in one’s bed knowing that a lamp iron was missing from the tender inside front sheet. So I fitted one. 
783B49AD-07F2-4F9D-92B4-6C71D3C22ECE_zps

i also reduced the size of the sandbox horizontal linkage. 

Tim

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

One couldn’t sleep easy in one’s bed knowing that a lamp iron was missing from the tender inside front sheet. So I fitted one. 
783B49AD-07F2-4F9D-92B4-6C71D3C22ECE_zps

i also reduced the size of the sandbox horizontal linkage. 

Tim

Stunning, but completely barking .......

Jerry

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The lack of one would have been the first thing I'd notice as it wizzes past on Copenhagen Fields ... :no:

David

• Agree 2