CF MRC

TFW’s workshop

On 04/05/2020 at 11:10, CF MRC said:

Dome looks much better, Tony. The smokebox door probably has too much of a jump from the smokebox ring, if you see what I mean?  Maybe  the door should be slightly less diameter relative to the ring, in other words the ring a bit more bold? Or maybe the ring is a bit small in diameter relative to the smokebox itself?  Questions, questions...

I must say, I am looking forward to see how Ian is getting on with Valour. 

Tim

Hello Tim,

Sorry to be so slow responding. I always just look at "new posts" when I check RMWeb and your post must have slipped off the first couple of pages!

The smokebox door was turned over in Vincent Worthington's workshop using his generic smokebox form tool. It looked about right to the eye until I put it in the loco!

I have played with files and wet and dry in my little lathe and it looks a bit better now. Some more front detail has gone on too.

I am very, very slow but trying to make a decent job of this one and I think I am happy with how the front end looks now.

DSCN2590.JPG.f759d041f7b125b5e389c57b0643ff85.JPG

I had a play with the junction of the pipe into the smokebox too.

RSCN2640.JPG.c6fd85cbc81e7870728726912d66fc4b.JPG

Those scratchmarks are not visible to the naked eye but after I saw the photo I smoothed them off!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Excellent stuff Tony. I use my phone camera a lot to check things and finishes. 
My Valour is making its way up Mr Rathbone’s queue.

Something a bit different:

FF8387EE_CBFB_4CE0_BCC3_9BE48D301C9B.jpe
Yeo, 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Tim

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Excellent stuff Tony. I use my phone camera a lot to check things and finishes. 
My Valour is making its way up Mr Rathbone’s queue.

Something a bit different:

FF8387EE_CBFB_4CE0_BCC3_9BE48D301C9B.jpe
Yeo, 4mm scale, 8mm gauge. 

Tim

Thanks Tim,

The real Valour went into traffic in July 1920, so hopefully you might have yours back for the centenary and I might have mine finished but maybe not painted.

I bet you were wondering what to do with all that room to hide your motor. A bit of a change from your usual problems fitting one in.

When I look at the way some people struggle to hide motors in even much larger 4mm models, they should take a look at this sort of thing and learn. Have you worked your pick ups out yet? If it is split frame, you have hidden it well.

Looking very nice.

Tony

I did mention the centenary of Valour’s entry to traffic to Ian, but I’m really not too worried.  It’s not as if we have any shows to get to. 
Yeo is going to be dead rail, radio control, hence a 6V Maxon motor. No pick ups, no split frames, no dirty track. Could be quite fun. I have had it scurrying across the bench dragging its battery, receiver and baggage. Looks quite comical. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I did mention the centenary of Valour’s entry to traffic to Ian, but I’m really not too worried.  It’s not as if we have any shows to get to. 
Yeo is going to be dead rail, radio control, hence a 6V Maxon motor. No pick ups, no split frames, no dirty track. Could be quite fun. I have had it scurrying across the bench dragging its battery, receiver and baggage. Looks quite comical. 

Tim

Now you are just showing off! I guess the low slung motor is to allow for batteries higher up. I look forward to seeing the final result.