TFW’s workshop

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

It's memorial Locos such as this that should never have been scrapped

Maybe so, looking back from where we are now, but it should be remembered that when these locos were scrapped the country had just survived another war. Different sentiments at that time I would imagine.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Valour lingered long enough at Gorton/Dukinfield before finally being cut up to suggest that GC men at least didn't believe it should be scrapped either...

Simon

Edited by 65179

A couple of photos of 6165 that might be of interest.

post-8055-0-45949300-1542062923_thumb.jpg

Photo - L.Hanson, copyright D.Hanson

post-8055-0-29721000-1542062940_thumb.jpg

Photo - L.Hanson, copyright D.Hanson

Both taken by my grandfather at Neasden shed on 22nd August 1937. Ironically my other grandfather was a cleaner at Neasden shed at this time, later going on to become a fireman and then driver on the GC London Extension.

Andy

• Like 7

Incredible how close the wheels are to the frames on the real thing. It is something I tried to replicate on Mons Meg.

At least with split frame you don't need to worry about the wheels touching the frames!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

When I first looked at that photo of your P2 Tim, I thought blimey he's making swift progress with Valour! Then I read the post.

Simon

As you know Simon, Nick Easton is reducing his 4mm etches to 2mm scale, with some modifications, so progress might be quite quick once I have them in-hand. That is of course relative, insofar as Watson engines are generally slow to mature....

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Andy, the etches for Valour have been made (I currently have two sets) and the tender etches are in hand, so Valour is now ahead in the workshop. I met up with etch designer for No1 the other night and talked through the design, so that is a little way off.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Prior to CF going to the Basingstoke show a few weeks ago,  the Stirling 8’ single No 547 had a bit of work done on it to tighten up on clearances.  As is well known, the Stirling singles don’t have any clearances, so any wear can have lively results, electrically.  The drive wheel gear box had become a little loose in the frames and so some judicious packing and re-setting have solved that problem, whilst at the same time I re-trimmed the engine for ride height.  Indeed, the two singles, No 21 the Ivatt 7’ rebuild,  and No 547 performed near faultlessly for the duration of the show. 

Unfortunately, the H1 class Baldwin 2-6-0 failed to proceed, whilst hauling 30 wagons at Basingstoke on the Saturday afternoon.  A preliminary strip down at the show pointed at wear in the gear box.  On examination at home, it became obvious that the worm wheel had worn out, with the worm also showing signs of some wear.  

About ten years ago, the 1.5mm steel cross shaft that the worm wheel ran on had enlarged its bearing hole in the gear box sides, which were reamed out and the shaft replaced by a new 1.8mm diameter pivot steel shaft.  The worm and small reduction gear were also replaced at the same time, even though they were not greatly worn.   On rummaging through the spare gears pots they were found again and the worm gear rebored to fit the larger shaft.   With it all back together again it ran smoothly and should be good for a few more miles.  This engine has probably done 300 miles since it’s introduction  in 1996.  One of the problems with old locos is remembering how they were made and assembled, there are 32 x 16 & 14 BA screws holding the Baldwin together: recent engines are far simpler. 

Both engines will now go through the paint shops for a tidy up.

Tim

0707D84F-2F26-43E8-A36D-138AD48813AC.jpeg

2D2EAA6E-AF58-4CA8-B97E-2AADD2192007.jpeg

3791708A-8050-48C8-AC60-94E216AFE672.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

so , Tim , how did they look having emerged from the paint shop?

and is anything now on  your Summer workbench? or are you taking a breather?

and while I'm at it , I wonder if , now CF is boxed up for a few months ,  do all the other stalwarts also have a few months off , or does stuff go on " off piste" , so to speak ?

bestest

East Barnet Andy ( no longer in East Barnet , having moved up the line to Potters Bar , but a name change doesn't seem appropriate . . .

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have resumed work on Valour, the GC 9P / LNER B3 over the last couple of days.  I have etches for the engine & self trimming tender reduced from 4mm scale, courtesy of Nick Easton & Paul Craig (if anyone is interested in a set - as a scratch building aid - please PM me).  Even though the chassis could be used with extra bearings and spacers I preferred to make up a conventional phosphor bronze and double sided PCB structure.  I know these work well on CF.  The errant extra holes in the PB strip are a function of using some frame material from a previous project.

2h6ubzl.jpg

The two brass tubes and 14BA bolts that are used to set up the chassis are old faithfuls: they have been used on all my scratch built engines since 1982 and are removed once the chassis is soldered up.  The alignment of the frames is simply checked by using drills as sighting rods and then the double sided PCB soldered into place.  

t7moeb.jpg

The kit frames are in 8 thou nickel silver and are used as an overlay and will also support the cylinders etc, supplied in the kit.  However, I wanted to have the front end removable so that the cylinders & motion support brackets can be made away from the rest of the engine. 

2hz0ccx.jpg

The front assembly locks into place and is held precisely by two 16BA & one 14BA bolt. The kit is supplied with the spring etches and so it would have been churlish not to fit them - they can be seen quite well through the large wheels. 

s29lhf.jpg

2d1l4t2.jpg

The rear cosmetic frames are fixed to the main sub assembly with 16BA bolts and the axle holes opened up to 1.6mm, so as not to impinge on the 2mm Association brass stub axles. The wheels are only placed loosely in the chassis, at the moment.  I will set the chassis up with some trial muffs shortly and, of course, make the coupling rods.  The worm gear head will be a massive lump of brass that will also occupy the ash pan. 

Quite quick progress, for me, but it dies help having the etches.  Valour should look very fine in full GC livery on CF. 

Tim

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

What thickness are you using for the structural frames? These look quite chunky compared to the normal 10 thou etch.

I've been pondering something thicker for a forthcoming scratchbuild.

Thanks

Angus

Edited by Argos

That's a great start Tim. Just a thought, you could get away with Valour being painted in post 1928 livery. I have part,of F Giles' notes/observations and have found three occasions when he noted B3s (none Valour unfortunately) on the GNML on excursions between 1935 and 1936 - he also noted B2, Sir Sam Fay, which makes me happy as that is one I'd like to model.

Edited by Atso

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Tim,

What thickness are you using for the structural frames? These look quite chunky compared to the normal 10 thou etch.

I've been pondering something thicker for a forthcoming scratchbuild.

Thanks

Angus

The PB frames are 0.6mm thick, Angus.  I do not put bearings in this material and it works well with our brass stub axles. 

Tim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Atso said:

That's a great start Tim. Just a thought, you could get away with Valour being painted in post 1928 livery. I have part,of F Giles' notes/observations and have found three occasions when he noted B3s (none Valour unfortunately) on the GNML on excursions between 1935 and 1936 - he also noted B2, Sir Sam Fay, which makes me happy as that is one I'd like to model.

The whole point is to get a loco in full GC livery, Steve, to make a change from apple green.   However, with my wonky left eye, it might go to Ian Rathbone for painting and lining. 

Tim

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The whole point is to get a loco in full GC livery, Steve, to make a change from apple green.   However, with my wonky left eye, it might go to Ian Rathbone for painting and lining. 

Tim

Fair enough Tim. I do agree that it is a most attractive livery. I picked up some tins of GCR loco red and GCR loco green (Precision Paints) last Friday to paint a loco for a friend - it took me forever to convince him that painting the various colours of the GCR green livery would be much easier than hand lining the white/red/black/white lining of the GCR black livery though!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Atso said:

There's scope to have all sorts of GCR 4-6-0s on the GN as a result of those Eason's specials Steve (Eason being the Cleethorpes/Grimsby travel agent that organised the specials/excursions).  

Are they 13mm driving wheels Tim?

Thanks

Simon

Simon