ALDI 3D Printer

• RMweb Gold

I’m actually quite excited about getting mine, I have a few ideas I want to attempt and I know it’s going to be a steep learning curve but I have my teenage son to help me with it, he is already pretty good with sketchup and is very computer savvy

I must admit I did think It a strange thing for Aldi to be selling when I first heard about it, it’s a very niche item but then again they do sell things like inflatable kayaks, riding gear and ski wear etc, stuff that seems odd to most but always seems to sell, there is very rarely an orange stickered inflatable hot tub sat festering in the isle of wonder months after they were announced

I am thinking that In about 6 months time there will be a glut of ‘unopened’, ‘only opened to inspect’ or ‘used once’ Aldi printers on eBay when people have got bored or frustrated with them, when you collect you will no doubt find lots of 3D printer busts of the family littering the house, hopefully I won’t be one of them!

TBH my lad has already said that if I can’t work it he will have it in his bedroom!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And that's before considering the more skilled level that Aldi say is needed for using the USB connection. The world of 3D CAD, slicers, printer control software etc., isn't for the faint hearted! I know I'm complicating things by trying to get software together that I can use for my Silhouette Portrait, CNC milling machine and a 3D printer (as I'm a masochist :)), but none of it is that straightforward. Or do kids learn all this stuff at school, so they can teach the rest of the family? I'm not sure they're much use for railway modelling unless you can get your head round all this stuff.

Hi

My son learnt CAD at school and then used it during Uni to 3D print his architectural designs. He now uses CAD in his work. So yes some schools do teach CAD.

One day I will invest in a 3D printer but they are going to have to improve in quality of finished print before I do. 

Cheers

Paul

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but I cannot imagine anyone buying one of these printers and just settling for downloading a 3rd party file and printing it? Shapeways would surely give you a far better quality print for a mere fraction of the cost of buying your own machine.

For me the appeal is actually the challenge of learning to use the software and eventually (no doubt after many many errors) ending up with something unique that is not to be seen elsewhere. I think those that don't want to/can't find the time to learn the software are going to be in for a bit of a disappointment...

I'm learning a language and, at my age, it's a bleedin' nightmare. Just as well I'm doing it because I want to and not because I have to. Challenging yourself is good, but I think the desire has to be there as well.

I think I'll be downloading 3rd party files for upgrading my printer (not an Aldi one)! I'll also download some that I can mess around with to suit my needs. But most of what I produce will come out of some combination of Inkscape and OpenSCAM, with maybe FreeCAD as well if I need to get into it. But then there's not much "ordinary" or "normal" about me :).

I'm just curious to know what market they're aimed at. Maybe there will be lots on eBay after Christmas, when people find out what's involved!

or is it somehow built into the Aldi machines, so the STL file can be copied to an SD card, plugged into the printer, and every print comes out perfectly?

It would not be practical to do something as complex as slicing on a microprocessor - maybe not even possible.

I guess the reason that models are distributed as STL files rather than as Gcode is because an STL file is only required to describe the model. Whereas the Gcode must also take account of all the settings for the specific printer being used - such as nozzle diameter, layer height and print speed etc, etc.

...R

PS.. I replied to your PyCAM question - in case you missed it.

Edited by Robin2

It would not be practical to do something as complex as slicing on a microprocessor - maybe not even possible.

I guess the reason that models are distributed as STL files rather than as Gcode is because an STL file is only required to describe the model. Whereas the Gcode must also take account of all the settings for the specific printer being used - such as nozzle diameter, layer height and print speed etc, etc.

...R

PS.. I replied to your PyCAM question - in case you missed it.

That's what I understood. So the slicer would have to be set up for the specific printer. Other consumer goods, like washing machines, don't seem so complicated!

I got PyCAM working thanks, but it's not quite right yet. I'll respond when I know what to say next!

• RMweb Premium

OK, thickie question...

The spec I posted on page 1 of the thread says:

Slicer Software: Cura

Cura Input Formats: STL, OBJ, DAE, AMF

Cura Output Format: GCODE

So why are folk discussing the printer not taking STL etc files? Doesn't the Cura program do the conversion to Gcode??

So why are folk discussing the printer not taking STL etc files? Doesn't the Cura program do the conversion to Gcode??

The slicing happens on your PC, not on the 3D printer

I presume Cura manages the slicing and then sends the Gcode to the printer. However if you want to operate the printer from an SD card you need to save the Gcode file to the SD card, not the STL file.

...R

OK, thickie question...

The spec I posted on page 1 of the thread says:

Slicer Software: Cura

Cura Input Formats: STL, OBJ, DAE, AMF

Cura Output Format: GCODE

an old version of Cura comes on the SD card but must be installed on a PC to use.

It really does look identical to the I3. I have been using the i3 and printed out the middle section of the optical guaging car network Rail use to run and after a bit of sanding the prints are actually quite good so if it is anything like the wanhao branded one it will be worth the money!

• Like 1

Prusi i3 based printers are one of the most common on the planet, as I understand it. Each manufacturer's version, and their various models, differ to all the others though. If this is a rebadged Wanhao, presumably it will perform like one, but if it has a few different parts it may produce totally different results. Look at the RepRap Prusa spec. to see all the possible variations in components, controller boards etc., then add in all the extra variations manufacturers make to keep the price down, or add value, and who knows what any individual machine will be like!

• RMweb Gold

Mines been dispatched according to an email from Aldi, coming via Hermes

I’ve downloaded Cura to the computer and have had a look at it with a 3D scan I made using reconstructme and an Xbox Kinect

6425B3D6-1BBC-4191-AB8B-4D19B5BC6C9D.jpg

02DD4BE4-6348-4281-B58B-428F3337DC92.jpg

Will see what happens when it arrives

• Like 3

I wonder how many RMWebbers took a punt on the Aldi printer and ordered one? It's now showing as Sold Out.

I did seriously think about it, but in the end decided to wait a while and perhaps get a higher-spec machine. The wait will give me a chance to get to grips with CAD software.

I for one.  I had been looking at getting a small 3d printer to learn how the system works and what 3d software is best but the Aldi offer seemed too good to miss and as I had already got over two thirds of my Christmas shopping done by September, I figured I'd go for it.

My only experience of 3d modelling has been the virtual kind for Train Simulator, which could be a bit of a frustrating experience, but I'm willing to give it a punt.  My first project I would like to try is a simple 1960s Abacus bus shelter, a prolific type not available ready to plant or in kit form.  Hopefully it won't be too complex for a first go and a good learning experience.  

​I figure the 3d printed Midland Metro T69 tram will be some way off!

I have the impression that a fan to cool the plastic as it is extruded is important, especially when small parts are being printed and there is very little time between layers. Have a look at this YouTube video

I have ordered a fan for my Anet A2.

I wonder how practical it would be to add a cooling fan to a printer like the Xyz MiniMaker - would the housing get in the way.

...R

PS... in an effort to converge the technologies I am thinking of making my fan duct with card using my Portrait cutter.

Edited by Robin2

I have the impression that a fan to cool the plastic as it is extruded is important, especially when small parts are being printed and there is very little time between layers. Have a look at this YouTube video

I have ordered a fan for my Anet A2.

I wonder how practical it would be to add a cooling fan to a printer like the Xyz MiniMaker - would the housing get in the way.

...R

PS... in an effort to converge the technologies I am thinking of making my fan duct with card using my Portrait cutter.

Well since the ALDI one sold out I have decided to go for the Anet A2 as well.  It is a surprise Christmas present for my daughter!

Now why didn't I think of that! I'm just about to start drawing up a loco to be built from a mix of 3D printing, and plasticard cut on my Silhouette and CNC mill, but it never crossed my mind that I could make a fan duct before I've built my printer :scratchhead:.

What microcontroller has the Anet A2 got? I've been trying to Google it, and get the impression it has an Atmega 1284, which is what's used on some of the cheaper printers. The RepRap spec. is for an Atmega 2560. I've bought a Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B, which has an acrylic frame, while the Anet A2 has a stronger aluminium one. But it has an Atmega 2560. All the cheap machines have different compromises, but I thought that strengthening the frame, if necessary, might be an easier option than rebuilding or replacing the electronics, if they aren't up to the job. From the reading I did before buying, it seemed to make sense to go for the better microcontroller.

Hopefully, I'll start on the supposedly 8 hour build in a day or two, when I've cleared enough space in the workshop for the huge number of components I've got to assemble. Then I can start looking at printing some components to upgrade it!

What microcontroller has the Anet A2 got? I've been trying to Google it, and get the impression it has an Atmega 1284, which is what's used on some of the cheaper printers.

Yes. It has the 1284.

But this is a case in which, if it works with the 1284 (which it does) the extra features of a 2560 would be unused - unless you plan to replace the firmware with something different.

And I have a Mega clone and a RepRap shield for that :)

...R

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the results from the xbox scanner.  I've tried to use Autodesk ReCap to reassemble photographs to make a 3D model, but it doesn't seem to end up with the best results.  

post-7653-0-97643600-1511509020.jpgpost-7653-0-90253600-1511509038.jpg

I'm sure my Billy Can didn't look that battered from my last footplate shift!

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone is thinking of getting one, I've just noticed that the 3D printer has sold out on the Aldi website.

post-7653-0-50784200-1511509605_thumb.jpg

That'll save the disapproving look from the wife followed by "Why do you want one of those?"

Edited by Captainalbino