ALDI 3D Printer

I am using a piece of polycarbonate for my base and no bed heating and the PLA adheres to it very well. Also it comes off easily when the print is finished.

The arrangement of the wires for the bed heater on my Anet 2 left a lot to be desired - I figured something was going to snag or break before long. Also I wanted to avoid the extra power consumption by the bed heater.

By the way (and I think I mentioned this earlier) when I tried a piece of acrylic for the base the PLA stuck to it too well and I could not remove the finished piece without damage.

...R

By the way (and I think I mentioned this earlier) when I tried a piece of acrylic for the base the PLA stuck to it too well and I could not remove the finished piece without damage.

...R

So I could CNC mill acrylic parts, then carefully set the home position of the printer, to add printed detail :).

• RMweb Premium

Masking tape or Kapton tape are your friends. I never attempt to print directly on the glass of the build plate.

You may need to very slightly up the extrusion rate in you print settings for the inspection platform though I suspect it will always be a challenge to print in one piece.

Cheers

Dave

Masking tape or Kapton tape are your friends. I never attempt to print directly on the glass of the build plate.

The build plate on my Anet A2 is just aluminium.

I did get a sheet of glass for it but the PLA would not adhere to it. I suspect the glass would need to be heated but I never tried that for reasons already mentioned.

...R

The build plate on my Anet A2 is just aluminium.

I did get a sheet of glass for it but the PLA would not adhere to it. I suspect the glass would need to be heated but I never tried that for reasons already mentioned.

...R

Cheap hairspray is what is recommended if you don't have a heated bed. Glue stick is another options used by many.

Cheap hairspray is what is recommended if you don't have a heated bed. Glue stick is another options used by many.

I have not tried that. I presume it would make the bed messy and it would attract every speck of dust (which might be good for my environment, but not for my printer).

Is it necessary to spray the bed before every print?

Glass has the attraction that it is not easily scratched.

...R

I hadn't seen any mention of using these only with unheated beds. Does that mean they don't work with heated beds, or is it yet another example of something that works for some people, but not for others? My (non Aldi) printer has a heated bed, or it will have when I've built it(!), and I was going to try hairspray or glue sticks.

If I ever get my mojo back I'm going to have to look into home 3D printing as most of the station buildings on the intended layout have been uploaded to Shapeways and even at their prices it will be very very expensive.

By the way, how much does the printing medium cost to buy?

when i first had my 3d printer i used the yellow/orange tape to coat the bed that came with the printer, and it was pretty good but tore a few times. Recently i bought a stick on mat by Buildtak, and this grips the print pretty well. 

PS.  i have a heated bed

By the way, how much does the printing medium cost to buy?

I've bought a reel of this. No idea if it's any good yet, and they charge delivery on top for most of their colours. They also sent two free small coils of different colours, and a packet of sweets, with it. They seem to be a new British business, making an effort, and appear friendly and helpful too, as we had a brief chat on their Facebook page.

Simon,

The card should have the cura software, a copy of the manuals, quick start guide and leveling instructions along with 3 sample print files. All are available on the balco (www.balcolifestyle.com) website although there is a newer (v3) version of the Cura software available direct from ultimaker.

Cheers

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

As Jeff says it should be on the SD card but I downloaded the newer version of Cura from the net before I got the printer, the only thing with it is it doesn’t have the ‘balco’ listed as a printer option but I set mine to Prussia i3 which is the same

Thanks for the quick replies.

I downloaded Cura and got the profile details from the Balco website and changed settings as required from the defaults.

Decided to do a quick test print and chose to rescale a PHA self discharge hopper to 2mm.  Pictures of the result below.  I was very happy with the print as it was done to see how the printer worked.  When I originally ordered the printer I was thinking it would be good enough to print 7mm hoppers and then hopefully a 4mm hopper but this print makes me think the that 2mm hoppers maybe possible/usable.

First test print

24945336298_de0545d02f_k.jpgFirst print Balco printer by simon br blue, on Flickr

First print as removed

38101318854_cc10df7e47_k.jpg2mm PHA hopper test by simon br blue, on Flickr

2mm hopper with support material partly removed

38817368051_639bc9f955_k.jpg2mm PHA hopper test support material by simon br blue, on Flickr

Cleaned up test print - zoomed in on camera phone making it look wavey

38101311794_96b40f3d1b_k.jpg2mm PHA hopper test finished by simon br blue, on Flickr

Edited by simon br blue
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Simon, Good to see printing results from the Aldi machine, thanks. I bought mine primarily to produce architectural details and building elements (windows, doors, chimneys, fancy lintels etc) in 7mm so it's reassuring to see what it can do in 2mm.

What drawing software do you use?

I have not tried that. I presume it would make the bed messy and it would attract every speck of dust (which might be good for my environment, but not for my printer).

Is it necessary to spray the bed before every print?

Glass has the attraction that it is not easily scratched.

...R

The main thing with 3D printing is not to believe everything you read on the Internet :0

What works for one person might well not work too well for another. That said I've had quite good results with wide blue masking tape on an unheated glass bed. The surface of the tape should be sanded with fine wet-or-dry (dry) paper between each print, but don't blame me if it doesn't work for toffee.