Re-sizing models sketchup, meshlab & blender

When I try resize designs that are a little large or simply just complex, sketchup often dies. I've tried on some big RAM, powerful, fast, range topping Mac PC's too and the same thing happens. So I'm thinking it's sketchup's fault. Maybe it's a bit too basic. Shapeways resizes projects effortlessly in comparison. Does anyone know why sketchup goes wrong please and if it can be remedied?

And also do meshlab and or blender resize more reliably?

I hope somebody knows.

Thank you!

Rob

You can export stls in different units to achieve scaling, or scale the resultant STL in netfabb. It's good practice in sketchup to draw at least 10x finished size, the more complex the curves in the design the bigger you should draw. Are you sure it's actually crashing as well? If a model is really complex, then it can take a very long time to manipulate, worth leaving be for a while and returning. Not using textures, shadows and any other fancy effects will help speed things up too. 

In Blender it’s easy to resize. You can import stl files into blender to work on or to resize. Select the part you want to resize, press s and then type in the scale you want - to half the size scale by 0.5, or going from 7mm to 4mm by 0.57086. When exported and uploaded to Shapeways the site will ask what units the stl file uses (I always use mm).

I use Sketchup Make 2017 on a fast computer with 256Gb solid state drive and it can take up to a minute to resize complex drawings. You get the message (not responding) top left. Just leave it for a while.

Resizing in Sketchup is easy, simply draw a  line of 100units with the pencil tool, switch to the tape measure tool and measure the line - you get 100 in the dimensions box. Now simply type the size required before touching any other keys (eg. 50 for half size, 200 for double the size) and press Return. Answer yes to the 're-size all model' question and your drawing re-sizes. Do this with a group or component open and you can re-size just that item.

You can export stls in different units to achieve scaling, or scale the resultant STL in netfabb. It's good practice in sketchup to draw at least 10x finished size, the more complex the curves in the design the bigger you should draw. Are you sure it's actually crashing as well? If a model is really complex, then it can take a very long time to manipulate, worth leaving be for a while and returning. Not using textures, shadows and any other fancy effects will help speed things up too.

Yes I'm sure as it 'bugsplats'

Thank you all for your wisdom and kind help!

Rob

Wow really good. Advice!

Thanks to you all.

Does anyone know how to get a colour image loaded onto shapeways for 3d colour printing?

Ideally on a Mac and via blender or sketchup. I've looked at shapeways' tutorial but it makes little sense to me.

I can never zip the files correctly on windows or ios?

)-:

I use Sketchup Make 2017 on a fast computer with 256Gb solid state drive and it can take up to a minute to resize complex drawings. You get the message (not responding) top left. Just leave it for a while.

Resizing in Sketchup is easy, simply draw a  line of 100units with the pencil tool, switch to the tape measure tool and measure the line - you get 100 in the dimensions box. Now simply type the size required before touching any other keys (eg. 50 for half size, 200 for double the size) and press Return. Answer yes to the 're-size all model' question and your drawing re-sizes. Do this with a group or component open and you can re-size just that item.

I'm using an identical spec MacBook to you and make 2017 too but I'm not getting a 're-size all model' question?

Very strange.

I'm using an identical spec MacBook to you and make 2017 too but I'm not getting a 're-size all model' question?

Very strange.

I've found doing it this way very hit and miss. If it just changes the length of the guide line, hit CTRL+Z (Oh hang on that's PC, whatever the equivalent mac shortcut of undo is then! ) and then immediately type the new length, this normally gets it working. Sometimes drawing the guide line back over itself will get it to trigger as well as I demonstrate in my scale drawing scaling video...