TPE - Class 68s - Updates

They won't be operating out of Lime St for very long - major rebuilding will see Lime St closed for several weeks in the early summer.  I think the LIV-SCA will be starting/ending at Man Vic, so the diagrams will alter substantially.

The two that went to France came back through the Tunnel last night to Cheriton, before being transferred on to low-loaders; I didn't see them, but one of my drivers told me, when he booked on at about 22:00 UK, that he'd just past them at the gates.

It would appear that these locos didn't present a problem for ET, as they had crossed in both directions, but for the operators on the Mainland.

Things seem to have got worse. When we took the Networkers over, after having modified the translator vehicles to work with the European locos, The French turned up their nose at the idea of an electrically controlled braking system, and insisted that we run a train pipe tied to the outside, isolated the brakes and put a load of vans on the tail to make up the brake force. Still at least they did actually get to Vienna by rail...

Things seem to have got worse. When we took the Networkers over, after having modified the translator vehicles to work with the European locos, The French turned up their nose at the idea of an electrically controlled braking system, and insisted that we run a train pipe tied to the outside, isolated the brakes and put a load of vans on the tail to make up the brake force. Still at least they did actually get to Vienna by rail...

There seem to be more and more barrier/ brake force/ converter wagons on every stock movement I see. The current Thameslink ones have several loaded container flats at each end of the rake, with a pair of former VTG ferry-vans carrying the adaptor couplings. There are numerous photos showing these movements, and the wagons involved, here:-  https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for sharing the brilliant photo. 

I missed this one but co-incidentally I have 005 in OO Gauge  :no:

Here`s a pic inside the cab.

T`woz a grand day in total. First 2 i get to see in Leeds 

1st two i get to travel with.

And i get to cab one aswell. 

post-18572-0-02248600-1522993224_thumb.jpg

post-18572-0-65160700-1522993242_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmm.

But we can't require that trains coming into the UK have yellow ends any more.

• RMweb Premium

Here`s a pic inside the cab.

T`woz a grand day in total. First 2 i get to see in Leeds 

1st two i get to travel with.

And i get to cab one aswell. 

Brilliant! Great photos!

The cabs in the 68s are so good. I have cabbed 003 and 006. Possibly 008 too. Very smart indeed. 

I always seem to miss the 68s in Leeds. I only ever find out that they are going to be there the day before, on the day or when they have left. Need to keep my eyes peeled more. 

May timetable changes out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43697032

Interesting decision to stop TPE Anglo Scottish services stopping at Wigan and Oxford Road.

Glad I no longer travel weekly to Barrow, that would have meant I would have to travel to Manchester Piccadilly from Oxford Road to pick up the TPE services.

How much time are they saving without that stop, they are going to pass through regardless.  

Edit, OK can someone explain why the links never work for me, this is exactly as per the page on the BBC site.

Edit 2: Fixed, spaces after the link

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

I think that's to do with the change (back?) to the Bolton route, whenever that gets switched on.

"Back" sounds about right, when I used to head that way semi-regularly they almost all seemed to go via Bolton.

"Back" sounds about right, when I used to head that way semi-regularly they almost all seemed to go via Bolton.

Not for electrics just yet, not enough wires in place.

I know Wigan was temporary as Chat Moss would not be the optimum route but Oxford Road is a busy station for commuters, this sounds like they are forcing people onto Northern services who haven't got their new stock yet.  A lot of people would use Oxford Rd - Bolton and do use Oxford Rd - Wigan for commuting as it cuts out the intermediate stops that Nothern services would do.

Not for electrics just yet, not enough wires in place.

I know Wigan was temporary as Chat Moss would not be the optimum route but Oxford Road is a busy station for commuters, this sounds like they are forcing people onto Northern services who haven't got their new stock yet.  A lot of people would use Oxford Rd - Bolton and do use Oxford Rd - Wigan for commuting as it cuts out the intermediate stops that Nothern services would do.

I rather think that's the point - removing short distance commuters from long distance services as much as possible.

• RMweb Premium

I rather think that's the point - removing short distance commuters from long distance services as much as possible.

But at the expense of significant additional journey time for longer distance travellers starting at Oxford Road.

• RMweb Premium

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1719948604764621&id=171809916245172&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2Fk3dUWp0H6O&_rdr

Testing happening with 68021 in Velim. TPE have said LHCS services will start in the Autumn

Flashing headlights...interesting...

It's supposed to be called Czechia these days though, not The Czech Republic.

• RMweb Premium

Can't see the video from here (and I'm assuming it's a video, Facebook blocked from work) but others of 68s have shown apparently flashing headlights that aren't visible in the flesh. If it's that it's probably the high speed flashing of the LEDs (unnoticeable to the eye) going in and out of phase with the frame rate of the camera.

• RMweb Premium

It's supposed to be called Czechia these days though, not The Czech Republic.

Are they actually flashing or just the scan rate on the camera causing that?

There are plenty of 68 videos that show this effect.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Can't see the video from here (and I'm assuming it's a video, Facebook blocked from work) but others of 68s have shown apparently flashing headlights that aren't visible in the flesh. If it's that it's probably the high speed flashing of the LEDs (unnoticeable to the eye) going in and out of phase with the frame rate of the camera.

Ah I haven't come across that.

I did take a nice video once of a turboprop plane in flight with the propeller apparently nearly motionless thanks to strobing.

I didn't realise that LED headlights flash - presumably it keeps current (and thus heating) down for a given perceived intensity.

Seats in normal person class look the same as in an 800. Which I guess makes sense if they're also going to have a fleet of 802s. Presumably the EMUs will also have those seats, which aren't bad in the context of what you get in modern trains.

• RMweb Premium

Seats in normal person class look the same as in an 800. Which I guess makes sense if they're also going to have a fleet of 802s. Presumably the EMUs will also have those seats, which aren't bad in the context of what you get in modern trains.

No tables, even on a bay. Or have they just not yet been fitted?

Those lights look like they may actually be flashing on the "hazard" setting, rather than the flickering LEDs on the 68s.

For those that can't see the video, the driving carriage is leading, not the 68

Jo