Gauge 0 Guild now has a Diesel & Electric Traction section on the forum.

RandyWales

Hi again,

After a couple of weeks lobbying by Diesel & Electric members, the Guild forum now has a section for those interested in post-steam topics.

This is a shift in outlook for the Guild, as until now the organisation has only paid lip service to the topics that are of interest to a rapidly growing branch of 7mm scale modelling.

I know there are some RMweb members who have recorded their opinions about the lack of interest in the post-steam era within the Guild, with some having become members only to leave again after discovering that their interests were not catered-for. Some even reported hostility when they raised their heads above the parapet.

Hopefully, things will now change and the Guild will become more inclusive to Diesel & Electric modellers.

So, if you are already a member, please help by paying a visit and hopefully posting in the forum.

If you are one of those thinking about joining, you might find that things should soon become more attractive to your tastes.

Randall

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

After a couple of weeks lobbying by Diesel & Electric members, the Guild forum now has a section for those interested in post-steam topics.

This is a shift in outlook for the Guild, as until now the organisation has only paid lip service to the topics that are of interest to a rapidly growing branch of 7mm scale modelling.

I know there are some RMweb members who have recorded their opinions about the lack of interest in the post-steam era within the Guild, with some having become members only to leave again after discovering that their interests were not catered-for. Some even reported hostility when they raised their heads above the parapet.

Hopefully, things will now change and the Guild will become more inclusive to Diesel & Electric modellers.

So, if you are already a member, please help by paying a visit and hopefully posting in the forum.

If you are one of those thinking about joining, you might find that things should soon become more attractive to your tastes.

Randall

Glad to hear this..... At the end of the day we all have one love ...... Railways 

• Like 1

I'm a modeller building in the transition era of NSWGR and lots of my models are diesel.

Despite the false image that some have of the guild that is all old men sobbing into their beer about the demise of their favourite mobile tea kettle, it is far from the case.

One of the most popular threads is an Australian built US diesel layout.

Even my modest foreign prototype input gets plenty of interest. There are French and German modellers there too.

I have got far more back from my membership fee than I could have imagined.

The addition of a separate folder for steam and electric modelling will just make it easier to find subjects on that topic rather than first going for the search function.

Bob Comerford

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tried to visit the Gauge 0 guild forum for the first time today, having been a member for a long time.

It won't let me, despite following the instructions on the site about using it for the first time.

I wonder what I am doing wrong - or is it just the software?

David

I tried to visit the Gauge 0 guild forum for the first time today, having been a member for a long time.

It won't let me, despite following the instructions on the site about using it for the first time.

I wonder what I am doing wrong - or is it just the software?

David

Hi David....

I'll try to help...

Can you describe the steps you take and at what point you hit the problem.

Randall

I'm a modeller building in the transition era of NSWGR and lots of my models are diesel.

Despite the false image that some have of the guild that is all old men sobbing into their beer about the demise of their favourite mobile tea kettle, it is far from the case.

One of the most popular threads is an Australian built US diesel layout.

Even my modest foreign prototype input gets plenty of interest. There are French and German modellers there too.

I have got far more back from my membership fee than I could have imagined.

The addition of a separate folder for steam and electric modelling will just make it easier to find subjects on that topic rather than first going for the search function.

Bob Comerford

Hi Bob...

Thanks for posting in the new section on the Guild forum...

I've always got on well with other Guild members regardless of area of interest...lots of banter and mutual mickey-taking.

....for others interested in the back story:

I joined a D&E Facebook forum (with 1000+ members) recently where the standard of modelling is superb but the general opinion was that the Guild didn't cater for their interests.

A small group of members interested in D&E started a series of threads on the Guild forum and we were able to make the point that there were many hundreds of potential members who felt alienated by the fact that the Guild 'appeared' to be stuck in a Steam shrouded timewarp.

There were many more Guild members in support of our proposal for the new section, although there were quite a few members who were still rather negative.

The outcome is what we see today....where the Guild has metaphorically opened it's arms...

There are those who will argue that the Guild was already a Broad Church but this change now confirms that things have moved forward.

With the new section now active in the forum, maybe we will begin to see more Diesel and Electric articles in the Gazette, more post-steam layouts at Guild events and who knows, maybe a dedicated/ exclusive D&E-themed exhibition run by the Guild in the not-to-distant future.

All this depends on the new section being supported by existing members as this will hopefully encourage new members to join.

Randall

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 1

Look forward to seeing some great D&E 7mm modelling :)

If any DEMU members (or non-members too) wish to get in touch about writing about their 7mm modelling I'd be happy to hear from them to balance content better in UPDate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a cause for celebration, 2018 is just 63 years after the BR Modernisation Plan, 50 years after the end of steam! So you can't accuse them of rushing into it. Any decade now we will see a 7mm scale RTR HST power car [probably after their withdrawal from mainline service]. Seriously, use the forum. Even if in my case it will just be for little green [or black] shunters.

I spoke too soon, unable to access the G0G forum: 'An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.' Possibly unable to cope with the unprecedented demand from D&E modellers on the G0G Forum!

Dava

G0G 17432

Edited by Dava

This is a cause for celebration, 2018 is just 63 years after the BR Modernisation Plan, 50 years after the end of steam! So you can't accuse them of rushing into it. Any decade now we will see a 7mm scale RTR HST power car [probably after their withdrawal from mainline service]. Seriously, use the forum. Even if in my case it will just be for little green [or black] shunters.

I spoke too soon, unable to access the G0G forum: 'An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.' Possibly unable to cope with the unprecedented demand from D&E modellers on the G0G Forum!

Dava

G0G 17432

A full 7mm HST set would certainly be an impressive sight!

Go easy...some newcomers to 7mm have only got an 08 and a couple of wagons.

I watch my 4mm HST through close-focus binoculars - looks 7mm scale - good enough for me until I win the lottery!

Randall

• RMweb Premium

With sound from both power cars of course!

I see and often ride in the IC125s most days on the MML. Very aware we're into the last couple of years at best of these amazing trains which saved what used to be BR. It feels like 'last years of the Peaks/Deltics/86s/87s' Deja vu.

Skytrex did a Gauge 0 Mark 3 coach, not many and not great. A high quality power car and trailer would sell. I wonder if the Darstaedt approach of etched metal sides [as in their new Mk1s] would be the best option for the trailers rather than molded plastic?

Dava

• Like 3

A local chap had a 7mm HST kit - I can’t comment directly as I never saw it in the brass, but I understand it was something of a disappointment and was sold on. However, it would indicate that a kit existed, perhaps still does.

It would indeed be an impressive sight, as would the station to hold it...

Best

Simon

In the Guild's defence I would point out that my layout of Cromer will be at the Summer Show at Doncaster next year.  An Anglia class 153 and a Greater Anglia class 170 anyone? 

http://www.gauge0guild.com/events/guild_shows.aspx?id=7

For more photos of the layout there is also this link

http://www.gauge0guildarchive.com/gazette_archive/Vol17-10/files/26.html

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a relatively recent ( about 5 years) mixed modeller (steam and diesel)  recruit to GOG can I say I have never experienced any such animosity and or disinterest - maybe I'm just lucky....I also got a lot of help from stalwarts such as Nigel Smith and Bob Alderman that improved my modelling skills across my broad range of interests and have shown my mainly Diesel based Bakewell Street at a GOG supported show - where it was next to another very nice blue diesel layout....

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As a relatively recent ( about 5 years) mixed modeller (steam and diesel)  recruit to GOG can I say I have never experienced any such animosity and or disinterest - maybe I'm just lucky....I also got a lot of help from stalwarts such as Nigel Smith and Bob Alderman that improved my modelling skills across my broad range of interests and have shown my mainly Diesel based Bakewell Street at a GOG supported show - where it was next to another very nice blue diesel layout....

Chris

I also started to get on top of soldering by going to a 3 hour tutorial organised by GOG at Telford - it was a major boost to my modelling and the price was cheaper than the cost of the kit and wheels I came away with. I'm sure all organisations have their weaknesses and "characters" but I've got a lot of benefits from GOG - funnily enough I've just referred to an article in the May 2014 Gazette on installing DCC sound in a Heljan 31...

• Like 1

Sadly, I did once experience animosity at a Guild show, albeit several years ago.  I had taken what was then one of my newly-completed class 153s to the test track to give it a run.  It was allowed to run round once when I was asked to remove it.  I couldn't help but notice that no such restriction was placed on any steam locomotives which were allowed to run and run.  Hopefully this attitude no longer prevails.

Chris Turnbull   

• RMweb Gold

In view of the length of time of time that it has taken the Diesel and Electric faction to be recognised I wonder how many more years it will take to recognise the Overseas faction especially those in that faction who are ardent supporters of the dcc-controlled automatic couplings used by the likes of Lenz.

Maybe a Overseas faction is feasible in the future but I think I will be pushing up the daisies before dcc and Lenz-type dcc-controlled automatic couplings are recognised and accepted by others. 

I've dabbled in 0-Gauge and started with some Heljan locos and coaches and moved to European outline up after experiencing the hassle and frustration of trying to easily couple-up a rake of Mk.1 coaches and keep them coupled up.  It was a real pita as far as I'm concerned. At least Skytrex put Kadee couplers on their Cl.101 DMU.

Keith

A local chap had a 7mm HST kit - I can’t comment directly as I never saw it in the brass, but I understand it was something of a disappointment and was sold on. However, it would indicate that a kit existed, perhaps still does.

It would indeed be an impressive sight, as would the station to hold it...

Best

Simon

Simon

PRMRP still do one...if you scroll down, not sure of it's buildability though http://www.prmrp.com/diesel-kits.html

There was one of their HSTs running on their Calvercar Town layout at Warley last year. There's a rather shaky video of it on youtube - scroll to 6'10".

(not my video)

Cheers for that, wonder what they are like at speed. My Track is only part laid and is mainly based in the garden, so viewed from afar and with my dodgy modelling it could be ok. I think if i get some overtime in it could be my next project once I complete the rake of Mk 1's I have on the go.

It's also worth looking at this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119462-respectable-o-gauge-mk3s/

For the HST coaches, there are some moves afoot to resurrect/modify the Skytrex coaches, which might mean less work in building a full HST rake than doing them from brass kits. (I'm probably showing my ignorance of HST's here, I assume they are pretty much standard Mk 3's between the Power Cars?)

Although out of my modelling era I would love to build a full HST set, - and have somewhere to run it! but theres a Blue Pullman in the roof that needs my attention first.

Peter

• Like 1