Gauge 0 Guild now has a Diesel & Electric Traction section on the forum.

RandyWales

The winner of the (Sunday only)modern image display competition at this years Telford O gauge Guildex was won by a model of an American GP7 , prototypes which entered service in 1949, no photos in guild news though, but the same report featured a 1/3 page picture overview shot of the show hall, not many youngsters in view either ;-)

Mind you in the same guild news events listing for Bristol show admission is the line..

Wives and children admitted free..

So all o gauge modellers are married males then!!

Same info was on signs there last year , could have come straight out of the 1960s..

Regards

Tim ( unmarried GOG member since 2013)

Edited by kernowtim

Mind you in the same guild news events listing for Bristol show admission is the line..

Wives and children admitted free..

So all o gauge modellers are married males then!!

Same info was on signs there last year , could have come straight out of the 1960s..

Regards

Tim ( unmarried GOG member since 2013)

I don't know what this post has to do with the new Diesel and Electric section on the Gauge 0 Guild's website, but here are some facts about the Bristol show:

1. The Bristol show is organised independently by the Bristol 0 Gauge Group (BOGG) not the Gauge 0 Guild. The show is sponsored by several firms including Minerva Model Railways.

2. Wives and partners and children under the age of 14 are admitted free if accompanying a paying visitor.

3. The gender of the wife or partner or paying visitor is not specified.

For more facts, I recommend vsiting the the BOGG's website: http://www.bogg7mmexhibition.com/268487002

Meanwhile, to help us get back on topic, here is a photo of my Ixion Fowler 0-4-0DM KITCHENER on Cwm Bach.

post-13142-0-74289900-1510676672_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I did go on earlier to show my support, I logged into the main site, then looked at the overview of the new forum and then went to the page, but it didn't recognise me!!! (Mind you I sometimes don't recognise me!!!).

So I've contacted the webmaster for assistance.

So I posted a couple of BR Blue Tractors in the Gallery instead ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

The winner of the (Sunday only)modern image display competition at this years Telford O gauge Guildex was won by a model of an American GP7 , prototypes which entered service in 1949, no photos in guild news though, but the same report featured a 1/3 page picture overview shot of the show hall, not many youngsters in view either ;-)

Just a correction I think you will find that the GP9 won the Diesel and Modern Comp on Saturday (reintroduced after a long break), and  you will find a picture of the said model on page 51 of the November Gazette. .The  display on Sunday  was just that a display of Modern image stock as previously set out in the Gazette in the run upto the show.

Andrew

Historically the Guild was perceived as being biased against anything other than steam which is why MIG0 - Modern Image Gauge 0 - (later MIG0+1) was set up many years ago, now no longer in existence sadly.  This was never an official view - there never has been anything in the Guild constitution about this - and there is little doubt in my mind that it was more to do with the prejudices of individual members, some of whom were in influential positions in the Guild hierarchy.  Certainly the example I gave in my earlier post falls into this category as does an erstwhile Gazette editor who seemed strangely reluctant to publish anything about diesels and the like.  As the old guard pass away and more enlightened views prevail I hope we shall see more moves to encourage those who do not model steam in gauge 0. 

The Guild is to be congratulated on this latest development and I am sure I speak for others when I say "long may it continue".

Chris Turnbull     

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 1

I strongly suspect the Gazette editor will publish practically anything he receives as there is a limitation of the supply of articles due to the fact that authors have to be willing to write for free. Not everyone is willing to do this - indeed Dr. Johnson remarked that only blockheads write for anything other than money.

The only time I recall something being blackballed from the Gazette was when a series of S7 articles was trailed and there was an inexplicably strong objection from those members who troubled to write in. As with the BBC, where 1000 objections seem to bear more heavily than 3,000,000 viewers who did not complain, I suppose the point is not to be silent. In other words, if you see an article you like, e-mail the editor to say so. 

The Guild is very much a voluntary organisation; consequently it tends to be influenced by those members who are active in some way. The rest, as they say, is silence, and silence is generally taken as assent.

I joined a D&E Facebook forum (with 1000+ members) recently where the standard of modelling is superb but the general opinion was that the Guild didn't cater for their interests.

Randall

Do you have the full name of this FB group?

Sadly the searching on FB is not the best, the only group that came up had 126 members, all the rest were models of a different sort along with a selection of various fueled vehicles!

Martin

I joined a D&E Facebook forum (with 1000+ members) recently where the standard of modelling is superb but the general opinion was that the Guild didn't cater for their interests.

Randall

Do you have the full name of this FB group?

Sadly the searching on FB is not the best, the only group that came up had 126 members, all the rest were models of a different sort along with a selection of various fueled vehicles!

Martin

PM sent

Edited by RandyWales

I strongly suspect the Gazette editor will publish practically anything he receives as there is a limitation of the supply of articles 

Yes, you would think that, wouldn't you?  Yet I can assure you through personal experience that it has not always been the case.  I can also recall that MIG0+1 often had to fight for a stand at Guildex so I am pleased to see on the new Guild Forum that the new Exhibition Manager of Guildex is actively seeking "layouts featuring diesel or electric traction" to "address some of the criticism that the show is steam biased".  "One aspect that was not well represented was layouts featuring diesel or electric traction" he says.

This is clearly yet another example a a refreshing change in the Guild attitude and is to be welcomed.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 1

Yes, you would think that, wouldn't you?  Yet I can assure you through personal experience that it has not always been the case.  I can also recall that MIG0+1 often had to fight for a stand at Guildex so I am pleased to see on the new Guild Forum that the new Exhibition Manager of Guildex is actively seeking "layouts featuring diesel or electric traction" to "address some of the criticism that the show is steam biased".  "One aspect that was not well represented was layouts featuring diesel or electric traction" he says.

This is clearly yet another example a a refreshing change in the Guild attitude and is to be welcomed.

Chris Turnbull

I have been to Telford on quite a few occasions and this year had a look at the proposed layouts that were planned to be attending and I couldn't see hardly any diesel electric modern image layouts which completely put me off going. I don't just like Diesel (in particular,I spent ages viewing the superb Dainton Bank a few years back now at Telford) but that is my main interest so hopefully this might be corrected for 2018 now.

I suggest those of you who are planning diesel and electric articles for the Gazette keep one another informed; that way you will be able to discern the percentage not published within a reasonable time. If there are a large number of inexplicable rejections you will then have evidence (and justification) to raise a stink. I do recall this matter being raised on RMweb a bit back, and various people saying that (for one reason and another) they were reluctant to submit articles. I remember the discussion because I actually offered to proof-read and edit the work of anyone who felt their English was inadequate. (One of the reasons stated.) No one got back to me.

Please do have a go chaps. And chapesses. Nothing you write can possibly be less interesting that some of the stuff published over the last two-three years, and I speak as a steam (indeed pre-group) obsessive. Variety is the spice of life - and magazines.

• Like 1

I suggest those of you who are planning diesel and electric articles for the Gazette keep one another informed; that way you will be able to discern the percentage not published within a reasonable time. If there are a large number of inexplicable rejections you will then have evidence (and justification) to raise a stink. I do recall this matter being raised on RMweb a bit back, and various people saying that (for one reason and another) they were reluctant to submit articles. I remember the discussion because I actually offered to proof-read and edit the work of anyone who felt their English was inadequate. (One of the reasons stated.) No one got back to me.

Please do have a go chaps. And chapesses. Nothing you write can possibly be less interesting that some of the stuff published over the last two-three years, and I speak as a steam (indeed pre-group) obsessive. Variety is the spice of life - and magazines.

I am willing to help with composition of prose as well as editing and proof-reading. If you are submitting your own photos, as I always do,  ensure that they are properly lit and exposed, in sharp focus with good depth of field and attractively composed. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 1

It was always my perception that the guild was grey beard kettle land......probably why my O gauge didn’t go anywhere.

However with the rise of affordable - ish diesels from Heljan and Dapol , I think it would be suicidal not to get on board with this new wave. Afterall the next generation to retire and maybe have some spending power will be BR blue fans quite possibly.