Whitby Town - 1950 / 1966

AGR Model Store

• RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing this progress. I have contemplated Whitby Town in N, but set in the early 1980s with a few what ifs like the Esk Valley been used to move rock salt and potash, like would of happened if a mine had been sunk at. Hawker. Plus steel traffic coming into the port had gone to Teeside via rail.

Anthony, I look forward to seeing how you progress with this. For a while we lived in Grosmont so know the line into Whitby. You may wish to seek out the DVD entitled "Esk Valley Line Part 1" that starts with some interesting video of Whitby in the early 1960s. Apart from Class 101 and 108 DMUs, I suspect that the NE Region Class 104s made it to Whitby and in the 1960s video I recall seeing a Class 110 unit looking brand new. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Look forward to seeing this progress. I have contemplated Whitby Town in N, but set in the early 1980s with a few what ifs like the Esk Valley been used to move rock salt and potash, like would of happened if a mine had been sunk at. Hawker. Plus steel traffic coming into the port had gone to Teeside via rail.

Thank you, I wouldn't mind a link to your build if possible please or photos sent.

Anthony, I look forward to seeing how you progress with this. For a while we lived in Grosmont so know the line into Whitby. You may wish to seek out the DVD entitled "Esk Valley Line Part 1" that starts with some interesting video of Whitby in the early 1960s. Apart from Class 101 and 108 DMUs, I suspect that the NE Region Class 104s made it to Whitby and in the 1960s video I recall seeing a Class 110 unit looking brand new. Good luck!

Thank you, The DVD has been put on the Christmas list if not it will be brought after the holidays. Now if anyone brings out RTR 104 or 110 ( Better then Hornby version ) i would most likely snap them up.

Pre- Christmas update from my building producer :-

Smiths hut & store hut which sat at the end of platform 1.

post-12266-0-00556100-1513942947.jpg

post-12266-0-97022500-1513943262.jpg

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from myself - Anthony

• Like 5

What is the DVD you mention, please? I've tried googling it without success. I too was a Grosmont resident back in the 60s/70s, using the line to get to school in Whitby, and definitely remember class 104 DMUs.

• RMweb Gold

What is the DVD you mention, please? I've tried googling it without success. I too was a Grosmont resident back in the 60s/70s, using the line to get to school in Whitby, and definitely remember class 104 DMUs.

I got a copy from George at Grosmont Bookshop a while ago, might be worth giving him a try.

I believe it is this one -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESK-VALLEY-LINE-WHITBY-TO-MIDDLESBROUGH-PART-ONE-1960-to-1998/253316980929?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I think you are right and it's been ordered.

Many thanks for the pointer.

Stuart

I got a copy from George at Grosmont Bookshop a while ago, might be worth giving him a try.

Thanks for the info.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a parcel arrived the other day, few bits & bobs ...

post-12266-0-88566900-1517999626_thumb.jpg

2 NER Watercranes, made from skytrex  kits 

post-12266-0-05346800-1517999614_thumb.jpg

A start on the low relief buildings to fill station square, I know their was a esso garage from photos I've collected, but im sure ( And I can not find ) Ive seen a esso tanker parked up in one of the sidings, if anyone has this photo or link to it online I would be very grateful.

Now on to some longer term projects which will be started over this year ..

post-12266-0-25355000-1517999383_thumb.jpg

post-12266-0-63730200-1517999398_thumb.jpg

Level crossing kit for boghall box, Which in time I will hope to add servo motors too & hopefully to start with all these bits on the platform double arm signal.

Edited by AGR Model Store
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It will be nice to see this one develop especially as it bring back memories of days out on Whitby, the buildings  are certainly made to high quality so it could be an outstanding layout.

Can I ask what you have chosen to use for your bullhead rail as I would like to try bullhead on a new extension.

It will be nice to see this one develop especially as it bring back memories of days out on Whitby, the buildings  are certainly made to high quality so it could be an outstanding layout.

Can I ask what you have chosen to use for your bullhead rail as I would like to try bullhead on a new extension.

I'm wanting to use bullhead to make it the realistic as possible, Ive got layout in loft that is fully code 100.

Helps having the shop when things are needed for test purpose ...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this for the first time. Great stuff, your buildings are superb.

Whitby is a fantastic prototype. Good variety od traffic flows, including the pick up goods into the '80s. I am sure you know this but the two volumes of 'Railways around Whitby' are invaluable resources. Ken Hoole's North Eastern Branch Line Termimi likewise.

I've always wanted to do something based on the line in the late '70s. Metro Cammell DMUs, class 31s on pick up freight, the odd parcels can etc..... one day!

Keep up the good work and providing the updates.

Thanks for sharing,

ST

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this for the first time. Great stuff, your buildings are superb.

Whitby is a fantastic prototype. Good variety od traffic flows, including the pick up goods into the '80s. I am sure you know this but the two volumes of 'Railways around Whitby' are invaluable resources. Ken Hoole's North Eastern Branch Line Termimi likewise.

I've always wanted to do something based on the line in the late '70s. Metro Cammell DMUs, class 31s on pick up freight, the odd parcels can etc..... one day!

Keep up the good work and providing the updates.

Thanks for sharing,

ST

Welcome and thank you for the kind comments, But I can not take all the credit for the buildings they have been all purpose built for myself.

Whitby is a great starting point, I recently looked at house which had over 100ft garden space, I had dreams of two sheds with a long length and in between where I could add different stations / turn off for different parts of line. ( Almost Whitby - Malton route )

The different types of locomotives / coaches / wagons which turned up in the area is real blessing ( Black 5 from Leeds is a strange one ) but at present im collecting / have in my possession mostly what I need, like the 4MTs, Fairburns & DMU's etc etc

I will try to update every time I can, Only received these today ..

post-12266-0-02241400-1532074509_thumb.jpg

These will be dropped off, with other parts which need building etc

I must have over 15 different books / various DVDs which show whitby / North Yorkshire moors area from the 40's to end of steam, which have been a great help with different angles / buildings that seem to have only be photographed once etc, Ken Hoole books though have been very helpful.