Whitby Town - 1950 / 1966

AGR Model Store

You seem to be missing the engine release roads to the central platforms?

I would also point you towards templot.  It is no intuitive to a general user because you effectively have to design the trackwork as you assemble the plan but once you get the hang of it you can produce amazingly flowing trackwork plans, far better than AnyRail.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 09:24, Portchullin Tatty said:

I would also point you towards templot.  It is no intuitive to a general user because you effectively have to design the trackwork as you assemble the plan but once you get the hang of it you can produce amazingly flowing trackwork plans, far better than AnyRail.

You know have the nagging feeling in the back of your head that you've forgotten something, oh dear back to the drawing board.....

13 minutes ago, AGR Model Store said:

................ oh dear back to the drawing board.....

Sorry!

Are you aware that you can get lots of free ordnance survey maps on line at the National Libraries of Scotland's website?  I suspect this will include Whitby although it tends to be the older versions (as they are copyright free).

You can also import them straight into Templot (not sure about AnyRail).  

Mind you, it may simply create fresh issues as you may well find that your room/shed is some feet too short!

Mark

2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Sorry!

Are you aware that you can get lots of free ordnance survey maps on line at the National Libraries of Scotland's website?  I suspect this will include Whitby although it tends to be the older versions (as they are copyright free).

You can also import them straight into Templot (not sure about AnyRail).  

Mind you, it may simply create fresh issues as you may well find that your room/shed is some feet too short!

Mark

It's no problem, just D'oh momment!

I have many plans & maps I just need to look them at twice and check my plans before I post on RMweb

I am going to have a go with Templot, thank you for the tip :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2020 at 13:00, AGR Model Store said:

Hello, Thank you please come back in years to come to see this build up.

But 100% their was turntable at Whitby Town & Two Pits ( One at the turntable / One outside one of the shed roads ) the turntable is more located away / otherside of the running lines from the shed ( Under the big carpark now ) 

1151732771_BogHallTurntableSidings.jpg.a9eb9289748bd7ff84d1fe8356e5644d.jpg

You just see the pit as you enter the turntable.

The turntable is next on the todo list so will feature here very soon I hope.

A lovely photo - it must be a model because there is a posed bus in the scene.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 06/05/2020 at 09:24, Portchullin Tatty said:

Hello PT

There were never any release turnouts/ points at Whitby Town, that I am 100% certain of; what the reason for this was, I don't know but I do know there were at least two means of propelling trains out and running around the train, if need be. (1 method is the crossover in the station throat and running around the loop at Bog Hall, the other is to use the 4 way crossing adjacent to the engine stable.)

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 21:46, Chavanois said:

Hello, I found this thread while searching for old railways in Whitby - what a great project.

I grew up in sleights in the late '60s and 70s and went to school on the train every day. Even at that time Whitby town station was a fascinating place.

My dad lived "on the railway" on George street and he used to tell me about the level crossing at Bog Hall near the old engine sheds. Memory fades but I'm almost certain there was a turntable near the engine sheds - only the pit was left when I was at school but I remeber at the time thinkin what it would have been like when it was operating at full capacity. Strange that nobody else has mentioned there being a turntable at Whitby Town.

We also used to use the incline down from Prospect hill looping round under the Viaduct as an "unofficial" route down from school to the station.

Hello Chavanois

You are indeed correct; there was a turntable at the stable area. It was roughly 3/8 of the way from the cattle dock to the engine stable building, fairly tight in to the West side of the site. It was removed in 1903 and moved to the site described by AGR.

I was first there around 1987 with my Dad; the later turntable pit was still there, albeit derelict. However, as the stable ground had been 'scraped' to provide a flat surface, the old pre 1904 pit outline was quite visible; whether anything was left of it under the ground, I don't know- but the outline was very distinct. I have attached a aerial view showing its approximate position.

AGR, if I can help at all with any of the track plans, please let me know. I have researched it extensively, but never did anything with it- so I thank you for the inspiration this thread has generated, though I doubt my efforts will be as good as yours- those buildings are superb.

Original-turntable-location-Whitby.jpg

• Like 1

On 31/08/2020 at 18:27, Derekstuart said:

Sorry for the further post, but it won't let me add any more attachments.

If you look at this link there's a picture of the old turntable.

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/2-4-2t-ner-1606-on-whitby-turntable.html

Also different location, looks to be near the road bank

Edited by AGR Model Store

7 hours ago, AGR Model Store said:

Also different location, looks to be near the road bank

Hello Anthony, as I put in the post above, this is the old location. Originally Whitby didn't have a turntable at all, with a second hand 42ft unit arriving some time between 1855 and 1892. At the time that was about all they could fit on the site.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the W&P didn't really have much choice in location due to the terrain to the West (later becoming Esk Terrace, but then housing the cattle market) and the prosperous ship yards along the Esk to their East. Eventually as part of the NER- with a larger budget and more trade, they could buy more land. By 1900 shipping was moving to ironclad and full iron and Whitby really didn't keep pace here (presumably the heavier ships couldn't be floated out in what was then a heavily silted estuary; anyone visiting the area now, even at low tide, isn't going to be able to walk across the Esk but in 1900 you could.). For that reason, the land dropped in price and they bought the Bog Hall land and that allowed the space for a 50ft- later 60ft turntable.

Apologies if I have written something you already know about. BTW I like the coaling stage; it seems you have come to the same conclusion as I have that the incline to it was very steep- but far too steep for a loco to climb it, so did they have to use a rake of 'barrier wagons' between the loco and the one or two coal wagons they pushed up there? Or were they winched?

Derek

Edited by Derekstuart
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 15:22, Derekstuart said:

Hello Anthony, as I put in the post above, this is the old location. Originally Whitby didn't have a turntable at all, with a second hand 42ft unit arriving some time between 1855 and 1892. At the time that was about all they could fit on the site.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the W&P didn't really have much choice in location due to the terrain to the West (later becoming Esk Terrace, but then housing the cattle market) and the prosperous ship yards along the Esk to their East. Eventually as part of the NER- with a larger budget and more trade, they could buy more land. By 1900 shipping was moving to ironclad and full iron and Whitby really didn't keep pace here (presumably the heavier ships couldn't be floated out in what was then a heavily silted estuary; anyone visiting the area now, even at low tide, isn't going to be able to walk across the Esk but in 1900 you could.). For that reason, the land dropped in price and they bought the Bog Hall land and that allowed the space for a 50ft- later 60ft turntable.

Apologies if I have written something you already know about. BTW I like the coaling stage; it seems you have come to the same conclusion as I have that the incline to it was very steep- but far too steep for a loco to climb it, so did they have to use a rake of 'barrier wagons' between the loco and the one or two coal wagons they pushed up there? Or were they winched?

Derek

I didn't know about the land issue and purchases, Its abit before my research time but handy to know thank you

As for the coal dock I do not know sorry, I haven't found any photos / text / information of what went on ( other then it was redesigned many times in BR period ) But I 99% sure they were never winched

I've got plenty of wagons sitting up on the dock / sitting before the trap points half way down the bank, I do wonder if they used the one / two wagons which can be often seen stored by the side of the shed.

I've got a great photo somewhere of a near new 37 bringing in line of coal wagons sitting at bog hall box from 'York area' guess to be separated for loco coal & property coal maybe even ship coal ?

In modelling terms since a OO gauge model can easily drive up the bank, I'll most likely use servo magnet to uncouple the wagons

• Like 1

If you look through RMW you will see that I nearly started Whitby about 6/7 years ago, but never got past the talking about it stage. Same with other stuff.

Seeing the work you've done with yours has really inspired me to get started. In fact it was pictures of your goods shed that I found entirely by accident- instantly recognisable- that inspired me to come back here and download Templot again.

As for the coal wagons, I'm reliably informed that when new coal wagons came on shed, they were pushed up the incline, connected to the empties and then hauled out, the empties then pushed 'wherever' and the full wagons pushed 'wherever2', the loco then re-attached to the emptied and then the empties onto the loaded, then the empties acted as the barrier whilst the loaded were pushed up the incline. If you have a look at 'ColourRail.com' and select Whitby, there's a picture there that might help.

About the 37- is that one by Andrew Binns photos? if so that's into the old goods yard/ coal merchant.

Thanks again for the inspiration to get started.

Derek

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 07:59, AGR Model Store said:

Small new update, coal dock built and laid in place 

536B4ECC-6F38-4525-AA0E-6F587B42D9AC.jpeg.398dad1d7a5798c091204e51de8bc704.jpegAB029CDD-0EF5-4176-ACA4-C284085952F4.jpeg.656fdb1fb9725d8c5928807583a25dd9.jpegD3C05585-EF26-4FBD-8E5B-618D47952B19.jpeg.ad2f5adea3bc82fa171a2fe9955af20c.jpeg

This is looking brilliant, great work :) - looking to build a similar coaling dock.  where did you get the small crane if you don't mind me asking?

On 04/04/2021 at 21:47, TCharle596 said:

This is looking brilliant, great work :) - looking to build a similar coaling dock.  where did you get the small crane if you don't mind me asking?

It’s off a old Lima model, can’t really remember which one sorry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...