The Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway

penyghent

Chris,

I assume it is the the same publication as the hard back version ?

Pete

This is an updated version with more text and different photos where ever possible. There is more about the collieries the line served and further info on branches. I have tried to make it different to the Blurb books but If you are not sure it will be available to browse in Waterstones

Looks an interesting read. Would you happen to know if any of the traders at Warley will have it for sale ?

Sorry mate I don't know that

• 2 weeks later...

From a quick scan in Waterstone's, there's almost no mention in this latest work of the Mansfield Railway (an important feeder to the LDEC route), yet it was given some treatment in the earlier work.  Curious, and somewhat unsatisfactory ...

There is a reason for this. Volume 1 covers Chesterfield to Langwith, Volume 2 covers Langwith to Lincoln and was to cover the Mansfield Railway, however, due to reasons beyond my control I have had to strip out that section to allow as much as I can in Volume 2 about the LD&ECR. So, although it does state that Volume 2 will include it, the Mansfield Railway will now be in Volume 3, along with the Mid Notts Joint Line

Edited by penyghent
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know I keep banging on about it, but are the pictures of merchantable quality in the new book?, not taken in power failure in a coal cellar with an Instamatic!

Mike.

Well what can I say? The light was on, the Instamatic was in good order and the coal cellar had been whitewashed!

seriously I have no control over printing of the book so I can only say the only way to determine if they are up to scratch is to take a look inside one, perhaps go into Waterstones and see if they  have one to peruse?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well what can I say? The light was on, the Instamatic was in good order and the coal cellar had been whitewashed!

seriously I have no control over printing of the book so I can only say the only way to determine if they are up to scratch is to take a look inside one, perhaps go into Waterstones and see if they  have one to peruse?

Regrettably, Waterstones are bit thin on the ground in Spain, no WHS reading rooms either!!!

I shall peruse next month on my return to your cold and wondrous land!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Is there any good wagon photo's? We produced 3 7mm wagon kits a few years back from drawings and a couple of very dodgy photos it would be nice to fine a brake van photo as I have been commissioned to build one.

Marc

Good luck finding an LDEC brake van photo. I've never seen one, ever, not even a crummy one. Would be fascinated to see such a thing, if it exists. Even GC brake van pictures in general are quite rare, with at least one diagram seemingly unrepresented.

I have a faint recollection from research many years ago that the LDEC used a Great Eastern design with a balcony at each end. Wilmott was ex-GE and seems to have based much of the LDEC rolling stock on GE designs, though with slight differences, as they were built by outside contractors. I may possibly have seen a drawing in what was then the OPC collection, now in the NRM, rather than a photo.

Is there any good wagon photo's? We produced 3 7mm wagon kits a few years back from drawings and a couple of very dodgy photos it would be nice to fine a brake van photo as I have been commissioned to build one.

Marc

Sorry there are no close up wagon photos, indeed I have not seen many decent photos of LD&ECR wagons, just some distant shots showing those with sloping LDECR lettering. As for Brake Vans, again nothing sadly. Sorry I cant be of more help

Vol 1 of the LNER wagons books states that the brake was a carbon copy of the GER 10ft6 wheel base brake. The OPC drawing backs this up. As a side there is quite a few OPC drawings at york for the LDECR and a number of them are very close to standard GER wagons.

Marc 

• RMweb Gold

I know I keep banging on about it, but are the pictures of merchantable quality in the new book?, not taken in power failure in a coal cellar with an Instamatic!

Mike.

In case the above rather "off" comment is putting anyone off this book, then having looked at it myself I'd say it was very nicely produced, and the photographs are both interesting and well reproduced. The comments above most certainly do not apply to it.

Congratulations to the author, I hope that both he and the publisher do well with it and we see the later volumes too.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In case the above rather "off" comment is putting anyone off this book, then having looked at it myself I'd say it was very nicely produced, and the photographs are both interesting and well reproduced. The comments above most certainly do not apply to it.

Congratulations to the author, I hope that both he and the publisher do well with it and we see the later volumes too.

Simon

Thank you Simon. As the author of this book  I appreciate feedback like this it makes the months of work worthwhile. You will most definitely see the later volumes, volume 2 is complete and with the publishers, and I am about 90% there with volume 3, so look out for them

I found this photo on ebay tucked away in the centre shows a LD from a LDECR wagon. It looks like a 15ft 5 plank open.

Marc

The LD wagons were the subject of a discussion last week. It was thought that the wagons with the LD letters like this one, were owned by the company, but those with LDECR in leaning backwards italics were leased. However, we don't know if this is fact or merely conjecture 

On the OPC drawings all the letters were not italic as were some of the others bought wagons and a grainy photo of a box van. The photo in the LNER wagon book shows a hired wagon with the letters in italics. 

Marc

On the OPC drawings all the letters were not italic as were some of the others bought wagons and a grainy photo of a box van. The photo in the LNER wagon book shows a hired wagon with the letters in italics. 

Marc

so it could be right about the italics letters only being on hired wagons!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there any news about Volume 3 yet?  (I've just been asked what I would like for Christmas and, as usual, my first thoughts on the subject are which books I know are in the offing!)

Sadly no, although it is complete I am awaiting the publishers nod to upload it and in truth I don't expect to see it on the shelves much before the middle of next year.